And now Dennis Hastert

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...indictment-stirs-deeper-mystery/?tid=pm_pop_b

what's worth $3.5M to cover up?

and then there is this little bit of delicious irony.....

As speaker, Hastert shepherded the USA Patriot Act in October 2001 to passage in the House on a 357-66 vote. In a 2011 interview, Hastert claimed credit for its passage over the misgivings of many members. Fourteen years later, federal prosecutors used the Patriot Act's expansion of currency transaction reporting requirements to indict Hastert on federal charges.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Never cared for the guy, so I am not going to shed any tears over this.

Wonder what the fallout will be if "Individual A" turns out to be a.................well, use your imagination. I can think of 2 words, used in conjunction, that could really tarnish whatever reputation he has.

If he is lucky, we won't find out.

BTW, how is this guy worth $12M? What has he done for that? Nothing like running for office, and retiring a multimillionaire. While wrecking the country.

We should all be so lucky.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Started to begin a thread for that, but he is a has been and probably nobody cares what happens to him. Being an elected official whatever he was covering up should be of no surprise to anyone.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Will "Individual A" be charged for blackmail? Was the act that was covered up illegal (resulting in more charges against Hastert)or just very embarrassing? It would be ironic if the statute of limitations had run out on both of those, and the only prosecutable crimes involve moving the money and/or lying to the FBI...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is hilarious to my mind.

Denny Hastert wound up House Speaker because of dissatisfaction with Newt Gingrich and the failure to take huge control of the Congress in the 1998 mid-terms. Gingrich had an ongoing affair with the woman who later became his third wife. Gingrich resigned and was replaced - temporarily - by Bob Livingston, who immediately resigned when it came out he had had multiple adulterous affairs during his tenure. Hastert became Speaker because he was "clean" and going to "restore integrity" that Gingrich lacked.

And now years later we find out Hastert was the dirtiest one of the three.

Say what you want about the sexual indiscretions of Gingrich and Livingston - heck, Bill Clinton for that matter.........at least they were involved with consenting adults.

But guess what? Hastert will probably die before he ever gets sentenced or at least serves very long.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Started to begin a thread for that, but he is a has been and probably nobody cares what happens to him. Being an elected official whatever he was covering up should be of no surprise to anyone.
Unfortunately, this is too true. I remember my Government teacher in high school telling us, "If you have a choice between a crook incumbent and an honest outsider, vote to keep the crook incumbent - because the only thing that happens is the honest outsider becomes a DISHONEST INSIDER and thus.......crook incumbent."

My FIL is from LA and voted for Edwin Edwards more times than even he wants to admit.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Unfortunately, this is too true. I remember my Government teacher in high school telling us, "If you have a choice between a crook incumbent and an honest outsider, vote to keep the crook incumbent - because the only thing that happens is the honest outsider becomes a DISHONEST INSIDER and thus.......crook incumbent."

My FIL is from LA and voted for Edwin Edwards more times than even he wants to admit.
Yeah, my BIL is like that. Back in the late 70's the FBI sting operation ABSCAM trapped several politicians including Rep John Jenerret, SC Democrat. He was caught accepting money on tape and was subsequently convicted. Before he was convicted he ran for re-election. I asked my BIL in a joking manner if he was going to vote for the crook, to which he replied, "Hell yes, at least he isn't a Republican".

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Never cared for the guy, so I am not going to shed any tears over this.

Wonder what the fallout will be if "Individual A" turns out to be a.................well, use your imagination. I can think of 2 words, used in conjunction, that could really tarnish whatever reputation he has.

If he is lucky, we won't find out.

BTW, how is this guy worth $12M? What has he done for that? Nothing like running for office, and retiring a multimillionaire. While wrecking the country.

We should all be so lucky.
I heard it was an underage male, but I'm not totally sure of that...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, my BIL is like that. Back in the late 70's the FBI sting operation ABSCAM trapped several politicians including Rep John Jenerret, SC Democrat. He was caught accepting money on tape and was subsequently convicted. Before he was convicted he ran for re-election. I asked my BIL in a joking manner if he was going to vote for the crook, to which he replied, "Hell yes, at least he isn't a Republican".
To be fair to my FIL, he's a 'vote for the man, not the party' guy although he was raised (no surprise here) in south LA as a Roman Catholic Democrat (he's Cajun). But long ago he voted the party not the man and more often than not post-Jimmy Carter he has voted for the Republicans for President. He voted for Edwards using the 'logic' that Edwards's indiscretions (as far as was known at the time) were sexual, not criminal indictments and that Edwards "did a lot of good for LA," the old Huey Long appeal.

This brings up something my mother told me. She's from Lanett. Her grandfather was a Baptist preacher and her Mom and Dad both worked in the paper mill (West Point Pepperell) making towels and stuff. They were old school "yellow dog Democrats." But you remember what happened in 1960? That's the year the Democrats nominated a Roman Catholic for President - and my great-granddaddy the Baptist preacher, abstained from voting for the only time in his life, using the argument that he "couldn't vote for a Cathlick cause thay'd take orders frum the Vaddican and couldn't vote fer the Republi-cun cause they caused the Great Depression and only curred about the rich."

And I remember John Jenrette, too. Abscam was hilarious to me as a kid - but notice nobody ever brings up that particular scandal. You hear about Teapot Dome, Watergate, even the Keating Five but nobody ever wants to talk about Abscam.

Years ago I read Ed Rollins's book about political consulting, and he talked about how Jesse "Big Daddy" Unruh ran Sacramento. Unruh said that every man had a price, and he would do whatever was necessary to buy the guy off. He said for some guys it was women, some it was money, others it was alcohol. He'd find the guy's particular interest and make sure it got met so that he had mental leverage over most guys. Unruh further told him that every once in awhile there'd be a legislator who was different - they could take all the women thrown their way, drink all the booze, take all the illegal money - and still 'vote their conscience.' But Unruh said even those guys you couldn't buy you could usually rent for awhile. Then he told Rollins his basic political maxim: "What you have to decide is whether you're for rent or for sale."

And yeah - the moment I heard the age of the victim, Sandusky was my first thought.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I didn't know much about Hastert, but when I read he was a high school wrestling coach, the Sandusky parallel struck me.

Also, he left office in 2007, but the payments started in 2010. Since the coverup happened after he left office, whatever the transgression was must have been pretty heinous to induce him to pay $3.5 million to bury it. At his age, and with re-election no longer a consideration, it had to have been something far worse than the garden-variety extramarital affair.

Plus, whoever he paid must have evidence a lot more substantial than words and memory. There's pictures, recordings, phone records, something out there. Whatever it is will become public soon enough.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't know much about Hastert, but when I read he was a high school wrestling coach, the Sandusky parallel struck me.

Also, he left office in 2007, but the payments started in 2010. Since the coverup happened after he left office, whatever the transgression was must have been pretty heinous to induce him to pay $3.5 million to bury it. At his age, and with re-election no longer a consideration, it had to have been something far worse than the garden-variety extramarital affair.

Plus, whoever he paid must have evidence a lot more substantial than words and memory. There's pictures, recordings, phone records, something out there. Whatever it is will become public soon enough.
I don't know whether it will or not. It's not pertinent to the charges brought so far. However, what may smoke it out is the former victim is obviously guilty of extortion, as someone mentioned above. The prosecutors then have a really tough choice. This is not like the Sandusky victims, who benefited not at all from coming forward. This victim enriched himself...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember John Jenrette being interviewed and when the reporter asked him if he had any regrets or looking back would he have done anything differently, his answer was honest, for a politician, "if I had known I was going to get caught I would not have taken the money". Brilliant.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My grandfather was a yellow dog Democrat. He said the only time he ever voted for Republican was Nixon and that he regretted it. He didn't say which year, though given his views on Catholjcs, I suspect it was 1960.

He had dementia late in life and while he was alive, he really wasn't alert to know what was going on in the 2008 election. He wasn't real fond of blacks, so voting for Obama might have been a line he wouldn't cross. He wasn't really a sexist, but a woman president probably wouldn't have thrilled him, either. That would have left him voting for a Mormon. (Grandpa was a Presbyterian). I guess it is goo he was out of it.

He died in early 2009, before Obama took office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My grandfather was a yellow dog Democrat. He said the only time he ever voted for Republican was Nixon and that he regretted it. He didn't say which year, though given his views on Catholjcs, I suspect it was 1960.

He had dementia late in life and while he was alive, he really wasn't alert to know what was going on in the 2008 election. He wasn't real fond of blacks, so voting for Obama might have been a line he wouldn't cross. He wasn't really a sexist, but a woman president probably wouldn't have thrilled him, either. That would have left him voting for a Mormon. (Grandpa was a Presbyterian). I guess it is goo he was out of it.

You didn't start out to do it, but you have just described the plight of the middle aged/elderly male white voter in this country. The demographics are what they are and all the gerrymandering in the world won't hold back the eventual sea change forever...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You didn't start out to do it, but you have just described the plight of the middle aged/elderly male white voter in this country. The demographics are what they are and all the gerrymandering in the world won't hold back the eventual sea change forever...
My father is the counter example. 82 year old white man from West Virginia. Goldwater Republican in '64. Now a dyed in the wool Democrat Obama supporter. He thinks anything from MSNBC is like Holy Writ.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
My father is the counter example. 82 year old white man from West Virginia. Goldwater Republican in '64. Now a dyed in the wool Democrat Obama supporter. He thinks anything from MSNBC is like Holy Writ.
I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight
Praise the Lord I saw the light

Just like a blind man I wandered along
Worries and fears I claimed for my own
Then like the blind man that God gave back his sight
Praise the Lord I saw the light

Come out of the darkness TW!! :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Why would have have voted for a Mormon in 2008?

McCain is a Baptist, which is about as close as you can get to Presbyterian theologically on the conservative side (sans the whole immersion-sprinkling thing of course).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Then there was this guy I used to work with. He was a big time Democrat, strong supporter of John Kerry and was distraught when Bush won that year. I worked with him up through the early stages of the 2008 election cycle and he was claiming Joe Biden would be our next president.

The funny thing was, he had very sexist views towards women. He wasn't supporting Hilary Clinton because he said women were too emotional to be president or to be in power. He didn't really like having to answer to women at work. He moved before Obama really got his campaign going, but he also made comments that led me too believe he was not a big fan of African-Americans. So I have no idea who he supported in the primary or general election.

I am now Facebook friends with him and the other day he posted something that was supporting Bernie Sanders.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.