Another hat in the ring for 2016

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not from Massachusetts (or Maryland, where O'Malley was) but.....

He's done away with the death penalty, advocated gay marriage, passed gun control, and has in-state tuition for illegal immigrants.

Sounds to me like a dream left-wing nut candidacy. Even Think Progress has him further left than Hillary.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Until Saturday morning, Martin O'Malley was a centrist Democrat who made his bones as a tough-on-crime Baltimore mayor and as a competent Maryland governor who led from behind on issues that would have marked him as liberal before he saw any political advantage to it.

Now, in offering to "rebuild the American dream," he offers a rebuilt O'Malley, in full embrace of a populist and progressive agenda as way to distinguish himself from Hillary Clinton in a bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.

I think that makes him a former Clinton Democrat.

The O'Malley who announced his candidacy Saturday on Federal Hill was not the blah, cautious technocrat who served two terms in Annapolis. With pops of fiery rhetoric about the corrupt excesses of Wall Street, the stagnant wages of American workers, income inequality and entrenched poverty, O'Malley sounded at times like a New Deal, union-hall liberal, sleeves rolled up, ready for a fight.

People who call O'Malley a liberal have missed both the highlights and the nuances of his record, going back to when he was mayor. He was elected on anti-crime promises that law-and-order Republicans admired. He pushed a zero-tolerance law enforcement strategy like the one executed by New York City police while Rudy Giuliani, a Republican, was mayor there. Starting in the early 2000s, Baltimore police made thousands of arrests for "quality of life" offenses; many of the charges were later dropped by prosecutors.

Though violent crime fell in the city, as it did across the country generally, Baltimore taxpayers had to pay $870,000 to settle a lawsuit brought on behalf of men who had been arrested for dubious reasons during the O'Malley years. The city agreed to officially reject zero tolerance, a stunning repudiation of the mass arrest strategy.

O'Malley's response? He said the lawsuit had been brought by "ideologues of the left."
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/martin-omalley/bs-md-rodricks-0531-20150530-column.html

I still hold it against him that the state sales tax went from 5 to 6% during his term.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
My 2 cents...O'Malley plans to be in 'non-contact' mode against Clinton for the time being. He is a long-time friend of the Clintons. He will get a higher profile by being in the presidential debates and daily political discussions.

Even he realizes that Hillary is probably going to receive the nomination. If she does, then she is a lot more likely to repay him (if he does not attack her), possibly with a cabinet position if she is elected. If she stumbles heavily in the debates or the public's distrust of her drops her poll numbers, then he will be ready to step into the front-runner status. He is young enough that a 2020 or 2024 bid is almost certainly in the cards if 2016 does not work out for him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My 2 cents...O'Malley plans to be in 'non-contact' mode against Clinton for the time being. He is a long-time friend of the Clintons. He will get a higher profile by being in the presidential debates and daily political discussions.

Even he realizes that Hillary is probably going to receive the nomination. If she does, then she is a lot more likely to repay him (if he does not attack her), possibly with a cabinet position if she is elected. If she stumbles heavily in the debates or the public's distrust of her drops her poll numbers, then he will be ready to step into the front-runner status. He is young enough that a 2020 or 2024 bid is almost certainly in the cards if 2016 does not work out for him.
That would be true if Democrats nominated their candidates using the Republican system of "whoever's turn it is." Most Democrats who don't win it the first time don't even get the second chance. Granted - that can change but historically (since we went to the current setup in 1968, which of course has been modified multiple times), the Democrats only nominate the early front-runner about 1/2 the time while the Republicans pretty much always do. Usually if you run for the Ds and don't win, you aren't even taken seriously the next time around.

Now I know the obvious objections you will make: Gore and Hillary. But Gore was running as the incumbent VP under the sunniest economic skies possible and with no national security threats on the radar. Hillary is hardly the favorite among the Democrats (sorta like Gore in 2000) but they're wanting to get on with it and figure she's got the best chance.

I question that because setting aside my personal distaste of her - I just have never been impressed by her as a candidate at all. She comes across as a smarmy witch with a sense of entitlement. I thought GHW Bush was a decent President but he was probably the worst candidate I ever saw actually win the dang thing - and if his opponent had been someone like Bill Clinton or Barack Obama in 1988, he'd have lost.

As far as O'Malley goes - the Cabinet position or something makes some sense. As pundits like to note, every single Presidential election has at least one "what the hell" candidate running. He won't wind up VP (what Democrat needs help carrying Maryland?) but I doubt he even runs again. If he does, he won't do well as there's someone out there now for those elections that we've never even heard of.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As far as O'Malley goes - the Cabinet position or something makes some sense. As pundits like to note, every single Presidential election has at least one "what the hell" candidate running. He won't wind up VP (what Democrat needs help carrying Maryland?) but I doubt he even runs again. If he does, he won't do well as there's someone out there now for those elections that we've never even heard of.
You may want to ask Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and Anthony Brown.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.