UAB reinstates football for 2016

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Why was attendance abysmal? Bama basketball has had really low attendance lately. Why is that?

I've never refused to acknowledge the shape that Legion Field is in. What's the alternative?

And if someone ever insinuated that UAB would sell out, they are smoking the most powerful crack known to mankind. Who is telling you that?

Also, I don't see the BOT being the evil empire, but I'm not certain what their role was one way or the other. Could they have offered solutions? Assistance in how to manage funds properly? Other examples of leadership? Are we saying that they had absolutely no say in Watts' decision? I don't know, I'm just asking. Folks on here seem to have all the answers.

All I see is complainin'. And no solutions. So let's pee-pee on all the fans. (All five of us, I know). :wink:
Again, I have nothing against the well-intentioned people who were willing to put their money and energy where their mouths were to revive the program. More power to them.

My issue with the those people (mostly in the media) who refused to tell the full story of why UAB was in such a precarious place to begin with. They were eager to tell the story of the big, bad BOT and Ray Watts scheming and conspiring to doom the program, as if that was the root cause. We heard nothing about the hideously poor attendance (even AFTER artificial inflation with free tickets) or the condition of the stadium.

The solution to long-time stability is more paying customers moving through the turnstiles on home gamedays. Maybe with that, your donors' funds can go to build new facilities (such as a better, downsized stadium) rather than to fund so many of the ongoing costs. But I don't hear anybody in Birmingham wanting to talk turkey about attendance.

Perhaps the BOT has been more focused on the core missions of the university and its revenue generating entities.

And comparing UAB football to UA basketball is apples to oranges. A 70% or even 50%-filled Coleman Coliseum--drab as it may be--is light-years different than a 15%-filled Legion Field.

My stadium solution would be a 40,000 seat on-campus stadium with modern amenities that could be expanded with temporary seating to 55,000 for bowl games. But the problem I see is that with so much donor money going to fund ongoing operations, where will the dollars to build it come from? I don't see local or state government footing the bill.

But I wish them no ill at all.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I still do not have an answer, how many times have you been to a UAB game on your own dime?
As a student I probably went to about 5 games with tickets I bought. I graduated their first year in D1, so I probably would have gone to more if I were still in school. And yes, I did a poor job of supporting the program after I graduated. However, I have vowed to buy a set of season tickets every year moving forward to help support the program. And as long as there is no scheduling conflict with Bama, I plan on going to most games.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
My issue with the those people (mostly in the media) who refused to tell the full story of why UAB was in such a precarious place to begin with.

The solution to long-time stability is more paying customers moving through the turnstiles on home gamedays. Maybe with that, your donors' funds can go to build new facilities (such as a better, downsized stadium) rather than to fund so many of the ongoing costs. But I don't hear anybody in Birmingham wanting to talk turkey about attendance.

Perhaps the BOT has been more focused on the core missions of the university and its revenue generating entities.

And comparing UAB football to UA basketball is apples to oranges. A 70% or even 50%-filled Coleman Coliseum--drab as it may be--is light-years different than a 15%-filled Legion Field.

My stadium solution would be a 40,000 seat on-campus stadium with modern amenities that could be expanded with temporary seating to 55,000 for bowl games. But the problem I see is that with so much donor money going to fund ongoing operations, where will the dollars to build it come from? I don't see local or state government footing the bill.

But I wish them no ill at all.
The "full story" would probably make for some interesting reading.

It would be foolish to disagree that more paying customers are needed. My argument has always been, what has been put into the product, from an administrative standpoint, to make it and keep it a viable product. Not Power-5 great, but a healthy and thriving mid-major. People get burned out on losing, especially if no effort is put into improving facilities, etc.

And on Bama bball vs. UAB football, please don't misunderstand my point. My point is strictly about when teams lose, attendance drops off. That was my only point on that...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I am not arguing anymore with fellow Bama fans on a Bama message board about UAB. I am just glad I'm open minded enough to support 2 teams in my own state who are not rivals. Thankfully, I don't have this arrogant, self righteous attitude that seems to be prevalent among this fan base. And some people wonder why Bama is disliked by other fan bases throughout the country. Case in point, this hatred towards a sister school.
Feel free to leave this fan base.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yes. The Birmingham media, which really wanted to make a circus out of it, loved focusing in on close shots of the 10s of students who were "protesting" over the loss of their beloved Blazers. Nobody wanted to show crowd shots from Legion Field when there was better attendance for the 1A level high school championship game. The scandal might have been that UAB had a football program that was being supported with tax dollars buying football tickets. Serious question: which would Birmingham be better off spending money on -- housing and job training for its growing homeless population or Blazer football tickets? Last time I saw figures 35% of the population of Birmingham lives on less than 200% of the federal poverty level for their family size (FPL is $24,000 or so for a family of 4). And the government is buying football tickets?

I'm all for them having whatever teams it makes sense for them to support. I can't recall anyone in any of these threads calling for an end, for example, to their basketball program. Fans support it and it doesn't lose lots of taxpayer dollars.

But the attendance at UAB football games was abysmal. Birmingham is just barely getting clear of the mire of bankruptcy. Bottom line, if you are putting 12000 people in the stands even after giving away tickets, you are not a FBS-level program. And my guess is there were several games that didn't have that attendance level.

My prediction is that the first game will be full of fans. By the third or fourth game, it will start to thin out. By mid-November when it is chilly, rainy, and MTSU or someone is coming to town on a Saturday that Alabama and Auburn are playing meaningful conference games, Legion field will be empty again. The only winners will be a few UAB employees(including coaches) and players who get a college education at taxpayer expense, though they should choose their majors very carefully....

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The "full story" would probably make for some interesting reading.

It would be foolish to disagree that more paying customers are needed. My argument has always been, what has been put into the product, from an administrative standpoint, to make it and keep it a viable product. Not Power-5 great, but a healthy and thriving mid-major. People get burned out on losing, especially if no effort is put into improving facilities, etc.

And on Bama bball vs. UAB football, please don't misunderstand my point. My point is strictly about when teams lose, attendance drops off. That was my only point on that...
Lets assume the current coach turns things around, how long before he gets a more lucrative offer and is gone? Where does that leave UAB when trying to recruit another good coach? Lets not kid ourselves, UAB is not a destination job for anyone. It would be a tough sell to a good coach and the pay will never be on top level so that would put UAB back in the same situation they are in now. It will be a crappy team in a crappy stadium.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes. The Birmingham media, which really wanted to make a circus out of it, loved focusing in on close shots of the 10s of students who were "protesting" over the loss of their beloved Blazers. Nobody wanted to show crowd shots from Legion Field when there was better attendance for the 1A level high school championship game. The scandal might have been that UAB had a football program that was being supported with tax dollars buying football tickets. Serious question: which would Birmingham be better off spending money on -- housing and job training for its growing homeless population or Blazer football tickets? Last time I saw figures 35% of the population of Birmingham lives on less than 200% of the federal poverty level for their family size (FPL is $24,000 or so for a family of 4). And the government is buying football tickets?

I'm all for them having whatever teams it makes sense for them to support. I can't recall anyone in any of these threads calling for an end, for example, to their basketball program. Fans support it and it doesn't lose lots of taxpayer dollars.

But the attendance at UAB football games was abysmal. Birmingham is just barely getting clear of the mire of bankruptcy. Bottom line, if you are putting 12000 people in the stands even after giving away tickets, you are not a FBS-level program. And my guess is there were several games that didn't have that attendance level.

My prediction is that the first game will be full of fans. By the third or fourth game, it will start to thin out. By mid-November when it is chilly, rainy, and MTSU or someone is coming to town on a Saturday that Alabama and Auburn are playing meaningful conference games, Legion field will be empty again. The only winners will be a few UAB employees(including coaches) and players who get a college education at taxpayer expense, though they should choose their majors very carefully....
Lets say UAB comes back in 2016, and on opening saturday you would have Hoover vs Colquitt CO at the Hoover Met at 1 pm (because Hoover usually has a Saturday out of state game early in the season) ,UAB has North Texas at 2pm, Auburn has Clemson in JHS at 3pm, and Bama vs USC in Dallas at 6pm. Will Legion Field be filled? No it wouldnt. Even if you leave it at Hoover vs UAB, UAB still will not outshine Hoover. In the 2000's Hoover was nicknamed the third college in Alabama. Hoover is the real football team in Birmingham (or suburb). When Hoover played Colquitt Co two years ago they drew 15,000 to the Hoover Met that is 5k more than UAB's average attendance in 2013. So how did it jump 10k people in 2014???

Is Bill Clark the next great college football coach that is going to be great? Possibly but 6-6 isnt really that earth shattering and probably his best game coached last year was against MSU and it wasnt really talked about in the arguements of bringing the program back.

Or is it because the program was threathened for forclosure? I think this is why attendence truly skyrocketed. Until this year there was never a great following. More people cared about Homewood, Hoover, and Briarwood than they ever did about UAB.

What UAB needs to do is get out of Bham and annex to Homewood. It will never happen but it would be better in the longrun. Bham is only intrested in the Medical School and until that is threathened they are not going to do jack for UAB. They can say how they are going to help with a stadium but Ill believe it when I see it.

As for these protesters. I think the line "Everyone wants to save the whales,but noone wants to help Mom with the dishes" really applies here. UAB will continue to suffer without substantial support. Saying "Free UAB" is free of charge, but actually making those demands to come to fruition are insanely too expensive for most of the protesters.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can remember a time during the Bill Curry years when Bama had trouble selling out games. In fact, there were billboards around Birmingham advertising tickets. Also, people were giving away tickets left and right during the Dubose and Shula years. I could always find tickets if I wanted to go to a game. I was actually at the Thursday night Southern Miss game that was postponed because on 9/11. I think there were maybe 20,000 people in the stands that night. Even Bama fans stop going to games when the team has a losing season.

Since the inception of Tide Pride and the opening of the first upper deck in 1988, Bryant-Denny Stadium has been sold out for every game (at least thought the 2005 season).
I think there is a misconception of a sell out and a lack of attendence. Technically all Alabama games sell out, but not every alabama game has full capacity. Alabama sells to Tide Pride, the other team, and through other means to get all the tickets circulating. They all pretty much are bought so that constitutes as selling out. I remember going to the 2007 Bama vs Houston game and there was hardly anyone there. Keep in mind that was Sabans first year and the excitement was rampant, but the race weekend affected the turnout.

The problem with UAB is that it has about a 12 to 14k (Im being generous and not using last year's numbers used by the potential shutdown) who attend a game in a mosolium that hold 71k in one of the worst parts of Birmingham. They never sellout. Their attendence stinks, and will continue to until they produce a good product on the field or build a new comfortable stadium. I think the former is more likely but that i give that a slim chance of happening on consistant basis. People at UAB barely got behind a great basketball team last year, so why would they get behind a mediocre at best football team. UAB will need to change or die again.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I am a Bama fan who wishes UAB the best. The only thing that ever bothers me about them is that some of their fans blame Bama for their problems and expect Bama to play them just to bail them out. But otherwise, I'm for them. I'm glad 85 football players will get the opportunity to play football and go to college. (I guess I am also glad that some girls will get to go bowling and go to college. :) )
That is another main point. The concept of UAB expecting Bama to schedule them is akin to a parent taking a child to buy a Christmas gift for the child to give the parent. I have no problems and would like to see Bama schedule some in-state schools, but not UAB or UAH.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That is another main point. The concept of UAB expecting Bama to schedule them is akin to a parent taking a child to buy a Christmas gift for the child to give the parent. I have no problems and would like to see Bama schedule some in-state schools, but not UAB or UAH.
Most people (media and the boogs)think the relationship between Alabama and UAB should be like California and UCLA. The main difference there is that there is a large population in LA and LA will support UCLA. The relationship is really more like University of Nebraska in Lincoln and University of Nebraska in Omaha. Lincoln has the main college and major sports while UNO has the med school and the hockey team. They both coexist because the college is too big not to branch off, but UNL doesnt have the bickering from UNO that we get from UAB. I think the real problem is that Alabama and Auburn used Legion Field way too much, and Birmingham thinks they are still entitled to being a main attraction. the glory days of Legion Field are over, and Birmingham has dramatically declined over the years. But still its people want UAB to be a big attraction. Hoover,Vestavia,Mountain Brook,Homewood, and Briarwood High schools are bigger attractions than UAB.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A few years ago UNO hired Trev Alberts as AD and moved up from DII to DI. But they also dropped their football and wrestling teams. The wrestling coach got the news while the team was attending (and winning) the national championship.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The scandal might have been that UAB had a football program that was being supported with tax dollars buying football tickets.
This is the thing that has never been reported. I mean seriously, I've seen plenty of first hand accounts of people getting city bought tickets and yet I don't think a single national story even touched this issue.

This makes so much of what we've heard kind of absurd. First, when they say UAB football was losing money, this was with city funds! They were losing money even after the city propped them up, and then the various studies I've seen didn't even touch the Title IX aspect.

So, really it becomes this really complicated math problem and the media just had no concern at all in explaining this to the general public.

UAB football, was losing money which required it to tap into the funds of the Alabama University system, this loss was then exacerbated by Title IX requirements, which meant if they spent money on football, they had to spend an equal amount on women's sports as well. But wait, there's more. A lot of the supposed revenue and ticket sales were in fact coming from the city of Birmingham, meaning they had even less than dreadfully low stated attendance numbers, and what little revenue they did have was largely a result of city funds being wasted. It's not done yet though, it appears as though additional compensation for players is an inevitability, meaning the funds required per player are almost guaranteed to go up. But wait, there's more! There are also pressing needs in terms of facilities which need to be addressed and will cost millions more.

The only entity, short of posts on this board, that even tried to explain any of this was UAB itself when they closed the football program down. One of the most annoying and frustrating things here, is that the media was complicit in pulling the wool over people's eyes. There is a story here, there is a scandal of sorts. It's how the city of Birmingham worked with UAB to flush millions of taxpayer dollars down the drain, for events that only a handful of paying customers wanted to see.

The real story here is that special interests got their way, and in the relatively near future tens of millions of public funds will be wasted to keep UAB football going.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yawn..... wake me up when they have at least 20,000 fans that actually bought a ticket and showed up.
Don't plan on ever being awake!

Is Bill Clark the next great college football coach that is going to be great? Possibly but 6-6 isnt really that earth shattering and probably his best game coached last year was against MSU and it wasnt really talked about in the arguements of bringing the program back.
Bill Clark is the real deal as far as being a coach. If he gets better at being a recruiter over the years like most good coaches, he will have them winning. He's one of those kinds of coaches that win everywhere.

The problem with UAB is that it has about a 12 to 14k (Im being generous and not using last year's numbers used by the potential shutdown) who attend a game in a mosolium that hold 71k in one of the worst parts of Birmingham. They never sellout.
They could build a nice 20k stadium on campus and STILL WOULDN'T sell out unless the city bought them up and gave them out and I imagine most of them would still be at home watching Bama or the barn on t.v. Fact is UAB DOES NOT have enough fans to support a football program. All 10 of those fans that picketed every meeting probably has never stepped foot on Legion Field property other than going to a Bama game. I think this time the BOT will sit back and watch these fools sink big time and simply say "told you so".

Like has been said in this thread, I'm willing to bet you that Hoover draws more "real" people on average than UAB does and they are a high school team but yet UAB deserves to be D1?:rolleyes: I don't mind them having a team, but to think they deserve a D1 program is just nuts.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Lets assume the current coach turns things around, how long before he gets a more lucrative offer and is gone? Where does that leave UAB when trying to recruit another good coach? Lets not kid ourselves, UAB is not a destination job for anyone. It would be a tough sell to a good coach and the pay will never be on top level so that would put UAB back in the same situation they are in now. It will be a crappy team in a crappy stadium.
That's probably true, but it's true for every school. Hiring a coach is a crapshoot, whether it's a good or bad fit, etc. Alabama has only had a handful of great coaches in their entire history. The last couple of decades pre-Saban were not really that kind to us. UAB just has to have a little luck if he leaves, because I think anyone that knows football would agree, Clark is a pretty good coach. And if they strike out the first time, it would set them back again. With a coach that actually knows how to run a program will come a silver lining. After going through Watson Brown, and then Neil Callaway, and then Garrick McGee, I would have almost been fine with Watts falling on the sword. I really felt that if Bill Clark failed, and I fully expected him too for reasons completely outside of his coaching acumen, it would have been curtains for the program anyway. Clark showed that winning was an attainable goal at UAB, despite how the program was run (outside of his control). And then to kill it...just really bad timing. I don't think there would have been near as much of an outcry if Clark had continued the track McGee was on, with another 2-10 season.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Yawn..... wake me up when they have at least 20,000 fans that actually bought a ticket and showed up.
They just may get 20,000+ the first game. If they lose and continue to LOSE, that will drop off very quickly to the normal mega empty seat stadium that no one wants to sit in. Let's see, where do you want to park your car? In Hoover or Gardendale and ride a bus to the stadium?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
The problem with UAB is that it has about a 12 to 14k (Im being generous and not using last year's numbers used by the potential shutdown) who attend a game in a mosolium that hold 71k in one of the worst parts of Birmingham. They never sellout. Their attendence stinks, and will continue to until they produce a good product on the field or build a new comfortable stadium. I think the former is more likely but that i give that a slim chance of happening on consistant basis. People at UAB barely got behind a great basketball team last year, so why would they get behind a mediocre at best football team. UAB will need to change or die again.
Heh. I always roll my eyes at the pics people love to post of the near-empty seats in Legion Field. A pic of Legion would appear cavernous for most mid-majors. No team in CUSA is going to sell out Legion. That ballpark was never intended for a school of UAB's caliber. Even on the few times when they've half-filled the place, that shouldn't be considered a litmus test of what literal picture of their attendance should look like, in winning times. I went to games that were pretty packed back in the day, for UAB, and there were still lots of empty seats and tarped-up end zones. They simply need a smaller, and as you said, more "comfortable" venue. It would have to be a multi-purpose facility, and I don't know if that will ever fly in B'ham either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.