UAB reinstates football for 2016

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The taxpayer argument is the inverse of the one for school and private support. If neither the school (which is largely taxpayer supported), nor the private sector (whether individuals or the business community) contribute, you have two choices: taxpayer support beyond what's already there via the school, or shutdown.

Attendance, most especially paid attendance, is a significant barometer of the support a program has.

Absent the extremes: no-shows for a major program (attendance at the Charleston Southern game this fall in Tuscaloosa), or rampant purchase-and-give-away welfare (as UAB has benefitted from in the Birmingham community since inception of the D-1 program) it's pretty dang accurate for the significant majority of programs.

If by neither the need for taxpayer support, nor attendance / purchase of tickets by actual users, how would you measure "support"?
By the fact Birmingham being their main means of support. Bham originally pledged a big amount to get them reinstated, but two days after the announcement they pull that pledge back. The attendence issue im refering to is that you must have x amount of people in attendence to be D1.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
By the fact Birmingham being their main means of support. Bham originally pledged a big amount to get them reinstated, but two days after the announcement they pull that pledge back. The attendence issue im refering to is that you must have x amount of people in attendence to be D1.
As a former vendor for a Birmingham entertainment center, I have the experience of knowing first hand that the city of Birmingham has a long history, and a very bad habit, of reneging on it's promises and not paying it's bills.. After I had to fight them tooth and nail to get paid for service rendered, I walked away and never looked back.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Mark my words, they are now on the we need our own stadium push. The pro UAB crowd will say that the reason no one goes to games is Legion field. They argue that the Baron's draw well, but they serve beer which is a large part of their draw.

You can't build a stadium in B'ham for less than 150, million. You have to do traffic studies, buy up probably 10 sq blocks of property, relocate underground infrastructure, and then build the stadium. Anyone with a working knowledge of government building projects knows that it has to built to a higher standard than a normal building for private use. The contractors and more importantly the sub contractor list for bidding on a project like this is very limited which causes the costs to go up quite a bit, plus the politicians in B'ham will have their hands out wanting a piece of the pie. Look it cost Auburn 92,000 million to build a 9000 seat arena in a place that has much lower costs than B'ham and they didn't have to deal with moving a ton of infrastructure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is nothing more than I boondoggle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Finally, they have ignored what Watts actually said, and interpreted it as they wish it were.

Watts didn't say football was coming back. He said UAB would support the football team going forward to a specified extent (which, BTW, if he'd done from the outset, he would have avoided all this mess). He further said the rest would have to come from private pledges.
Announced yesterday...

UAB football is finally free - the Blazers will return in 2017, the university announced on Tuesday, ending a seven-month saga that placed President Ray Watts, coach Bill Clark and other supporters in the national spotlight.

Also, rifle will resume in 2015 with coed participation, and bowling will return in 2016. The news is expected to add momentum to UAB's continued fundraising efforts which include plans for a new football stadium.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They even have their first new player. I can't do a link on my phone, but some kid who was a freshman at Memphis last year has transferred in. He was redshirted last year, so he will have gone three years without being on the field when it returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.