UAB reinstates football for 2016

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
So they have to recruit 100 players in a year?

How many transferred and are they allowed to return and play immediately or do they have to sit out a year?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe they should contact Hoover School District to see about the availability of their stadium for home games.

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
the stadium will be completely full for the first game right? afterall "everyone" wanted this?
They will need to fill the stadium up for the first game to show the level of "support" the program has now. I suspect admission will be free with a recepit that shows you purchased anything in 2015. I'll be very interested to see what percentage of the pledged contributions are actually collected.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I heard one of our senators say that Birmingham is ready to give UAB the support to build an on campus stadium... I laughed because I know Birmingham will never go through with it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I heard one of our senators say that Birmingham is ready to give UAB the support to build an on campus stadium... I laughed because I know Birmingham will never go through with it.
Don't you guys already tithe to the city of Birmingham with sales taxes? Isn't theirs 10% or is it higher now?

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
What does it say about your fanbase when the program has to be shut down for people to start giving a damn? Ridiculous.

I'm convinced most of the rhetoric is being driven by Barners and the stupid local Birmingham news media.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So the program was barely viable before they shut it down (I don't care what anyone or any study says, that program has never made money). Now, you decide to restart it after essentially having a self imposed death penalty. UAB won't sniff success now for years. I will be shocked if they average more than 15,000 fans after their first home game.

This entire episode is a case study on the absurdity of what public relations have become in the social media era.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Don't you guys already tithe to the city of Birmingham with sales taxes? Isn't theirs 10% or is it higher now?
No I don't have anything to do with Birmingham unless you want to say because I pay alabama state taxes i do. The narrative of Birmingham's current state can be clearly seen through their suburbs. Homewood, vestavia, Hoover, and mountain brook have made it their mission to create a substantial distance from Birmingham politics. Birmingham is dying and their politics are expediting the process. Uab will have a good first year back with attendence but after that it's probably the same as we know it to be

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Yeah, but there are a bunch of cool bars downtown and some hipster doofuses living in lofts, so Birmingham is back.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
IMHO, it was a carefully crafted and well executed fundraising process.

I feel sorry for the players and coaches whose lives have been rearranged by this charade.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
No I don't have anything to do with Birmingham unless you want to say because I pay alabama state taxes i do. The narrative of Birmingham's current state can be clearly seen through their suburbs. Homewood, vestavia, Hoover, and mountain brook have made it their mission to create a substantial distance from Birmingham politics. Birmingham is dying and their politics are expediting the process. Uab will have a good first year back with attendence but after that it's probably the same as we know it to be
There were thirteen cities in the Birmingham area that promised to help fund the UAB football program. Curious as to know which cities. I'm pretty certain that Vestavia was one of those cities. So, even if you don't live in the Ham, good chance your tax dollars are going to subsidize UAB even more than they were before.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.