Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't get the vibe reading Cecil's stuff - he seems to be more interested in relaying accurate info than drumming up traffic.
Folks act like Fowler can't know anything about the QB battle because he's a media member, yet no one has a problem when Cecil provides a take on Barnett. Why? If Fowler can't know anything about the battle because he's a media member, how can Cecil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I'd say Fowler is being a little dramatic calling it a "disaster," but there is legitimate concern among the coaches. If any of yall know Rodney Orr of TI, he shoots about as straight as you come. He has said on multiple occasions that the QB battle is completely up in the air and that he could see any of the five winning it. I posted on here a few days ago that I thought Coker would seperate himself in the next few weeks. Now I'm not so sure. We should know more after Saturday.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Folks act like Fowler can't know anything about the QB battle because he's a media member, yet no one has a problem when Cecil provides a take on Barnett. Why? If Fowler can't know anything about the battle because he's a media member, how can Cecil?

There IS the difference that Hurt has been doing it for over thirty years. What is Fowlers' tenure at the job? Has Fowler ever done it for a legitimate media outlet?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There IS the difference that Hurt has been doing it for over thirty years. What is Fowlers' tenure at the job? Has Fowler ever done it for a legitimate media outlet?
Fowler has worked for over 15 years. He works for the sports station in Tuscaloosa (99.1), which should count as a legitimate media outlet.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Alabama fans and the quarterback position, just makes for such a ridiculous speculation and what not.

I mean last pre-season it was a steady stream of why Blake Sims wasn't the guy (I even saw one poster declare Alabama couldn't win more than 8 games with Blake) and how awesome Coker was. Once people started figure out may be Coker still had room for improvement, that seemed to shift to just steadily bashing Blake's abilities and may be some Bateman (and even Cornwell) talk throw in for good measure.

Now though? As soon as people saw something good about Cornwell, even if it was just a sentence or two, they hung on that and we saw page after page of how Cornwell was the guy. Until you know, someone pointed out may be Cornwell isn't, and now it's on to Blake Barnett. The funny thing is I can't even keep up.

I found myself going from saying I expected Coker to start (prior to his arriving on campus), to just outright defending Blake as people completely disparaged his abilities. This pre-season, when people shifted to anointing Cornwell and not thinking as much of Coker, I found myself defending Coker and reminding people that if upside was in fact the primary concern, it was Barnett not Cornwell that had the most upside.

Just calm down though... Yes, Barnett has the most potential, but he's also the youngest and most inexperienced candidate. He needs to develop mentally and physically, I don't think it would be a good thing at all if he started this year, it would likely be a bad sign. How many true freshman quarterbacks can you name that started and did a great job? Cornwell? He's probably not quite ready either, yes he has talent, but as people have drifted back to reality with him, he's just probably not ready to take that reigns and that's just as well, he and Barnett can have a QB battle next season.

As far as Coker, no, he's not perfect. But, he was the backup on not one, but two different championship contending teams at two different schools. Being second string is earned, and the fact that he apparently got narrowly beaten out by two guys who went on to have great seasons doesn't say a whole lot of bad things about him. He's still a guy with NFL potential, and while he has weaknesses the odds are he can step in and have a good season for Alabama. The fact that he hasn't been named the starter yet probably has as much to do with keeping Cornwell and Barnett engaged as anything else.
A few posters ended up on my ignore list. I grew tired of all the Sims bashing. There were some posters who created an account just to bash Sims. I was a defender of Sims last year (not as vocal as Sip). I will defend whoever maybe the starter this year as well. for the record I believe it will be Coker.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I thought about something today:

Maybe we WERE serious about Braxton Miller and Everett Goldsden...
I don't think there's any question that we were very serious. We wanted Braxton Miller. That's a fact. At one point, both sides thought it was gonna happen, but Meyer ultimately convinced him to stay. It wouldn't have mattered anyway since his shoulder is still shot.

I know we reached out to Golson. I don't know if they were as serious about him as Miller, but it's some people's opinion that he would have ended up here if not for the SEC rule restricting transfers with disciplinary issues.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
A few posters ended up on my ignore list. I grew tired of all the Sims bashing. There were some posters who created an account just to bash Sims. I was a defender of Sims last year (not as vocal as Sip). I will defend whoever maybe the starter this year as well. for the record I believe it will be Coker.
It's this kind of stuff that bewilder me. We aren't privy to the action going on in practice. The coaches are, and I think our current staff is capable of figuring out which players are the best ones to perform at crunch time.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Preacher Krazy,

I don't see anyone waxing hysterically at this point. Instead it appears to be mostly thoughtful commentary on the state of the most important position on our team. Shorter sermons on our failings might be good.

Sincerely,

Your flock.

Alabama fans and the quarterback position, just makes for such a ridiculous speculation and what not.

I mean last pre-season it was a steady stream of why Blake Sims wasn't the guy (I even saw one poster declare Alabama couldn't win more than 8 games with Blake) and how awesome Coker was. Once people started figure out may be Coker still had room for improvement, that seemed to shift to just steadily bashing Blake's abilities and may be some Bateman (and even Cornwell) talk throw in for good measure.

Now though? As soon as people saw something good about Cornwell, even if it was just a sentence or two, they hung on that and we saw page after page of how Cornwell was the guy. Until you know, someone pointed out may be Cornwell isn't, and now it's on to Blake Barnett. The funny thing is I can't even keep up.

I found myself going from saying I expected Coker to start (prior to his arriving on campus), to just outright defending Blake as people completely disparaged his abilities. This pre-season, when people shifted to anointing Cornwell and not thinking as much of Coker, I found myself defending Coker and reminding people that if upside was in fact the primary concern, it was Barnett not Cornwell that had the most upside.

Just calm down though... Yes, Barnett has the most potential, but he's also the youngest and most inexperienced candidate. He needs to develop mentally and physically, I don't think it would be a good thing at all if he started this year, it would likely be a bad sign. How many true freshman quarterbacks can you name that started and did a great job? Cornwell? He's probably not quite ready either, yes he has talent, but as people have drifted back to reality with him, he's just probably not ready to take that reigns and that's just as well, he and Barnett can have a QB battle next season.

As far as Coker, no, he's not perfect. But, he was the backup on not one, but two different championship contending teams at two different schools. Being second string is earned, and the fact that he apparently got narrowly beaten out by two guys who went on to have great seasons doesn't say a whole lot of bad things about him. He's still a guy with NFL potential, and while he has weaknesses the odds are he can step in and have a good season for Alabama. The fact that he hasn't been named the starter yet probably has as much to do with keeping Cornwell and Barnett engaged as anything else.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Preacher Krazy,

I don't see anyone waxing hysterically at this point. Instead it appears to be mostly thoughtful commentary on the state of the most important position on our team. Shorter sermons on our failings might be good.

Sincerely,

Your flock.
Heh, while I admire your wit, I have both seen posts predicting utter failure from Coker, and suggesting Blake Barnett (a true freshman who as others have noted probably isn't even physically ready yet, and yes I'm very big on his abilities to) be the starter. Now, I wouldn't and didn't label those as hysterical but they are a bit out there. As been noted by other posters as well certain things did indeed (at least in some discussion) reach a point that things both became a bit absurd but also became a bit hostile (ask Sip, he'll tell you) last year. I'd prefer that not happen again. Perhaps I am a bit sensitive after all that though, because just arguing basic, provable points turned into a somewhat futile attempt.

Also, one final time, since it does apparently still need to be said. Blake Sims was not a converted running back. He was converted to running back. There's a hell of a difference, he got his first look at Alabama at QB, he demonstrated the basic required skills at the position at that time. I hope there's no need to remind people that Coker can indeed throw the deep pass anytime soon...

Edit: As WMack basically said somewhere, Coker is the guy. If in fact that turns out not to be true, then we'll all have something to worry about. But, by all means enjoy the speculation, there's just no need no real cause for concern or to think ill of Coker at this point.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Very rarely I agree with Krazy, but on this one, I have to go with him. He's right, there was lot of people who bashed Sims and it took three or four games before people was like "Oh, he's wonderful.. I love him! " I've seen folks going in hard on Coker and you know what? Coker can still win the job and ppl will say "Oh, we'll lose 5 games this year because of him"

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Very rarely I agree with Krazy, but on this one, I have to go with him. He's right, there was lot of people who bashed Sims and it took three or four games before people was like "Oh, he's wonderful.. I love him! " I've seen folks going in hard on Coker and you know what? Coker can still win the job and ppl will say "Oh, we'll lose 5 games this year because of him"
I never got the "he's wonderful" feeling the whole year. I was worried every game on what to expect out of Sims. I am really hoping I won't go through that again this season. The offense was good last year but there were more than a few mistakes made.

If the OL is really good this season and the defense is even better, the QB doesn't have to be great.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I'm still trying to figure out why Coker cannot grasp the system and be consistent play after play. Keep hearing that CLK is growing frustrated with him and this has opened the door for all the others. I just don't see Coker being the #1 unless he has some sort of epiphany by the end of camp.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Here's how I see it.

1. We do not currently have a perfect option at QB.
2. The coaches will make a decision based on who they think gives us the best chance to win.
3. Whoever that turns out to be, LK will be able to devise game plans that play to that QBs strengths and steer clear of his weaknesses.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Here's how I see it.

2. The coaches will make a decision based on who they think gives us the best chance to win.
3. Whoever that turns out to be, LK will be able to devise game plans that play to that QBs strengths and steer clear of his weaknesses.
Couldn't agree with you more. That is coaching and we have some of the best in the business. There is a reason these guys get pay raises every off season.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Here's how I see it.

Yeppers. This should end the discussion.

But it prolly won't.

I'm sooooooooooooooooo ready for Bama Football.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Here's how I see it.

Cannot compute...too much logic...makes sense...disassemble...need input...

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
I'm still trying to figure out why Coker cannot grasp the system and be consistent play after play. Keep hearing that CLK is growing frustrated with him and this has opened the door for all the others. I just don't see Coker being the #1 unless he has some sort of epiphany by the end of camp.
Some players just don't see things how the coach wants them to see it. I think ultimately, this is what decides who plays and who sits. Plus, since the spring, one qb has gotten better every week and the other 2 have been basically the same. These next 2 weeks are going to be very interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.