Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Personally I like Black better, but Im not in the know of what the reasons why CJ stared over him. I think Black has a higher ceiling and not as a low floor as CJ, but CLK and CNS started CJ last year so I trust that decision.
THAT^^^^^^

Totally agree....we are in the midst of a dynastic run right now....trust in Coach Saban

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

CJ's problem was that he had good highs but horrible lows. Ole Miss game was one of his worst days. Black may be more talented but it is anyone's guess at where he is at learning the system last year.
We had people in the offense that didn't know it all that well but now sit atop the all time list in our record books

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

No way?!?!?!? That would explain some of routes he ran, and how he never really committed to it...
We had people in the offense that didn't know it all that well but now sit atop the all time list in our record books

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I agree. I also believe we will find out very quickly why he has never been a starter.
So are you saying that Jamies Winston and Blake Sims were subpar qbs? Im by no stretch am a sunshine pumper but even I have some optimism in regards of who steps into the starter role whether be Coker or Cornwell. IDK if people have gotten so against Coker more because he made people look stupid for doubting Sims last year or they truly beleive someone else is better at the job. I think it is less of the latter and more of the former. Does Coker have a ways to go? Absolutely. Is Cornwell and the others going to take the job? Possibly. Will Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin put a quarterback out against Wisconsin that they dont trust? No!!!

All we can do is support whomever and have a little faith in our coaches.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Coker will start hoping he catches the Sims spark. If he falters then Alec Morris will take the job and hopefully hold it stable for two years. Cornwell did look good in A-day but is a RFF and not likely Nick will want to start with a freshman. But if Coker and Morris are flops all bets are off and Cornwell could be in a posture similar to Gary Hollingsworth. I hope they can redshirt Barnett. The latter needs a year in the weight room.
Scratch my post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Can't wait for the fall. Coker has a ways to go IMO.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I agree. I also believe we will find out very quickly why he has never been a starter.
That's a little unfair IMO. Whether he wins the job or not, he is the most proven QB on our roster. He is the only one with any game experience. In fact, he has more pass attempts than any of our previous back-ups.

I thought he showed that he could be at least adequate last year. He looked decent when he got a chance. He never threw an interception, and he led a crucial drive against Florida to put the game away.

I don't have any inside info, and I don't get to see any of the practices or closed scrimmages like some do. Maybe he doesn't have it. I'm only basing this on what I've seen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'll happily admit that I was as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs last fall when I started hearing that Coker was struggling and Blake Sims might win the job instead.

I had little faith in his abilities...mainly based off what I had seen in the spring before. Blake Sims surprised everybody, including the coaches with how well he did last year.

Now here we are again, feeling a little nervous about what we saw in Coker in the spring game (especially in the second half when he struggled).

But who know what the fall holds? We'd only be lucky if Coker could have a year like Sims did last year.

What I think will happen is that Coker will probably start the first game assuming the battle between him and Cornwell is anywhere near 50-50 in the fall. But I also think we'll likely see a good bit of Cornwell in the first game too.

However, if we are giving our honest, gut feelings, I have some serious doubts Coker will play anything like Blake Sims did last year and that Cornwell will eventually win the job. JMO.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Also wanted to chime in on the suggestion of going with a younger qb.

I think when the suggestion to play the younger qb is made (I've said something similiar too) what is meant is "If the older qb (in this case Coker, in his final year) is struggling, why not just play the younger guy who will probably struggle too, but have time to learn and improve so we don't have to go through that again the next year if you let the older qb struggle."

In other words, I don't think anyone wants the young qb to play for experience sake unless the older qb just can't get the job done.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

I was really worried as well when Blake got the job.

So I'm just gonna wait on Coach this time.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

So are you saying that Jamies Winston and Blake Sims were subpar qbs? Im by no stretch am a sunshine pumper but even I have some optimism in regards of who steps into the starter role whether be Coker or Cornwell. IDK if people have gotten so against Coker more because he made people look stupid for doubting Sims last year or they truly beleive someone else is better at the job. I think it is less of the latter and more of the former. Does Coker have a ways to go? Absolutely. Is Cornwell and the others going to take the job? Possibly. Will Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin put a quarterback out against Wisconsin that they dont trust? No!!!

All we can do is support whomever and have a little faith in our coaches.
To come up with this statement from my one sentence post makes me scratch my head. I have said more than once that I think there is a reason he has never been a starter. I am not "against" Coker and it has nothing to do with who his competition is.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

We've had an amazing run under Saban of avoiding serious injury to our quarterbacks. I was worried every week that AJ would get injured, and just like that the season would be over. We are in an enviable position of having several guys who could step up into the starting role mid-season, regardless of who gets the start against Wisconsin. I think the experience of Coker wins out, but having guys behind you pushing you to get better is a good thing.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

That's a little unfair IMO. Whether he wins the job or not, he is the most proven QB on our roster. He is the only one with any game experience. In fact, he has more pass attempts than any of our previous back-ups.

I thought he showed that he could be at least adequate last year. He looked decent when he got a chance. He never threw an interception, and he led a crucial drive against Florida to put the game away.

I don't have any inside info, and I don't get to see any of the practices or closed scrimmages like some do. Maybe he doesn't have it. I'm only basing this on what I've seen.
What has he proven? Do we want to settle for adequate?

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Based upon Blake Sim's performance in both the 2013 and the 2014 spring games, I probably would not have let him even sit on the bench much less start at quarterback. Yet, he had a great year and we won the sec championship. Based upon what the staff was able to do with Blake, I am not in the least concerned about our quarterback situation. I mean we have 2 or 3 quarterbacks that are ahead of where Blake was this time last year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.