Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Anyone know if Coker is practicing with the receivers this summer in the same capacity as Cornwell? BS did the same last yr with Amari and that really paid dividends for both of them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Anyone know if Coker is practicing with the receivers this summer in the same capacity as Cornwell? BS did the same last yr with Amari and that really paid dividends for both of them.
I'm sure he is, since all the QBs do. I have no idea with which receiver, though...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
To come up with this statement from my one sentence post makes me scratch my head. I have said more than once that I think there is a reason he has never been a starter. I am not "against" Coker and it has nothing to do with who his competition is.
Again you are talking about him going up against a heisman trophy winner and a qb that had more time in CLK's system ,and who also CLK also recruited at Tennessee , in a limited amount of time. It's kinda unfair to say that we will learn real quick of why he was never a starter. I think he has a ways to go before he is ready to take on the Bucky Badgers , but I don't see all this fairy dust people are claiming about this guy or that guy either. Maybe Cornwell is going to be the starter, but what concrete proof does anyone have to suggest that? There is only rumors and news articles that try to sway that opinion in to fact, sound familiar? Idk how Coker or whoever will do and neither does anyone else.

As far as your adequate qb statement. We have won 12 games with adequate qbs. So yes I would take an adequate qb if need be since we have tons of talent

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Go back and look at the game tapes... There was moments he didn't really run his routes like he should have.
What player are you referencing?

Look at Mack's post:

We had people in the offense that didn't know it all that well but now sit atop the all time list in our record books
What player was running the wrong routes yet sits atop the all time list in the record books?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

There's a lot going on with guys going the extra mile to get better. For example, Blake Barnett took a page out of Blake Sims's book and is (or has been) working with a private QB coach (George Whitfield in his case).
Some of the receivers are doing private workouts as well to try and gain an edge.

We have a couple of former players who do that kind of thing. Robbie Green is the first one I can think of off the top of my head. It really is a lucrative business to be in right now and is mutually beneficial to the athlete and the business

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

We have a couple of former players who do that kind of thing. Robbie Green is the first one I can think of off the top of my head. It really is a lucrative business to be in right now and is mutually beneficial to the athlete and the business
We are doing this with both of my sons. They work out with former wr nikita stover. He's developed position specific workouts for them and is doing well enough that he's started doing it full time now.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

We are doing this with both of my sons. They work out with former wr nikita stover. He's developed position specific workouts for them and is doing well enough that he's started doing it full time now.
That's awesome. Happy for Nikita. Good luck to your sons

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Again you are talking about him going up against a heisman trophy winner and a qb that had more time in CLK's system ,and who also CLK also recruited at Tennessee , in a limited amount of time. It's kinda unfair to say that we will learn real quick of why he was never a starter. I think he has a ways to go before he is ready to take on the Bucky Badgers , but I don't see all this fairy dust people are claiming about this guy or that guy either. Maybe Cornwell is going to be the starter, but what concrete proof does anyone have to suggest that? There is only rumors and news articles that try to sway that opinion in to fact, sound familiar? Idk how Coker or whoever will do and neither does anyone else.

As far as your adequate qb statement. We have won 12 games with adequate qbs. So yes I would take an adequate qb if need be since we have tons of talent
You keep trying to compare Coker with other QB's. He may have been beat out by the next man up if Winston had decided to take his talents to another school. This is something we will never know. Jake must stand on his own merit and show that he can handle the keys to a Lamborghini. So far in his career, he has not demonstrated that. I stand by what I have said. We will quickly find out if he can handle the situation (if in fact he is our starter). Also, I have been following Bama since the 50's and with the exception of a couple of players, we have had QB's that have been much better than just adequate.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I agree. I also believe we will find out very quickly why he has never been a starter.
You keep trying to compare Coker with other QB's. He may have been beat out by the next man up if Winston had decided to take his talents to another school. This is something we will never know. Jake must stand on his own merit and show that he can handle the keys to a Lamborghini. So far in his career, he has not demonstrated that. I stand by what I have said. We will quickly find out if he can handle the situation (if in fact he is our starter). Also, I have been following Bama since the 50's and with the exception of a couple of players, we have had QB's that have been much better than just adequate.
You said we will find out real quick why he hasnt been a starter. He came into FSU in 2011. EJ Manuel was the starter and was a pretty good qb for Jimbo. In 2013 Trickett decided he didnt want to compete with Jamies so It was Coker vs Jameis by default and noone else. There was no way in the world he was going to beat Jamies. Then Jacob had a meniscus tear and went in to Bama fall camp recovering from an injury while Blake Sims had all summer and fall to polish up and fix the kincks from the spring. Its understandable in all 3 situations of why he wasnt a starter so your first post is unfair to say because none of our current qbs wouldve been starters under those circumstances. Im not saying Coker is going to be the starter, and frankly I dont care who is, but it sounds like you think anyone couldve beaten Jamies winston and came into fall camp at a diffrerent university and became a starter. Sure alot of people were calling for the latter, but alot of it was more because many didnt think Blake was going to lead us to a SEC title.

As far as adequate. it is defined as :adjective 1. as much or as good as necessary for some requirement or purpose; fully sufficient, suitable, or fit (often followed by to or for):

that sounds almost like some of our qbs in the past 8 years. Lets see in 2008 JPW was 12-2, 2009 Gmac was 14-0, and in 2011 AJ was 12-1. And before you flame about me putting AJ there consider the year. AJ wasnt as big of a part of our offense as he was in 12 and 13. Statistically his numbers werent all that great that year. Aside from the LSU rematch he was a hand it off, occasionally pass, and watch the defense do their thing kinda player. AJ a didnt really take off statistically until his second year so it is fair to say he was suitable for our team in 2011. AJ would later become one of the Top 10, or 5 depending on who you ask, greatest qbs in Bama history, but he wasnt a rockstar qb until the last game in 2011. . But we all have different interpretations of adequate, great, and bad so you can intepret it several diffrent ways.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

You said we will find out real quick why he hasnt been a starter. He came into FSU in 2011. EJ Manuel was the starter and was a pretty good qb for Jimbo. In 2013 Trickett decided he didnt want to compete with Jamies so It was Coker vs Jameis by default and noone else. There was no way in the world he was going to beat Jamies. Then Jacob had a meniscus tear and went in to Bama fall camp recovering from an injury while Blake Sims had all summer and fall to polish up and fix the kincks from the spring. Its understandable in all 3 situations of why he wasnt a starter so your first post is unfair to say because none of our current qbs wouldve been starters under those circumstances. Im not saying Coker is going to be the starter, and frankly I dont care who is, but it sounds like you think anyone couldve beaten Jamies winston and came into fall camp at a diffrerent university and became a starter. Sure alot of people were calling for the latter, but alot of it was more because many didnt think Blake was going to lead us to a SEC title.

As far as adequate. it is defined as :adjective 1. as much or as good as necessary for some requirement or purpose; fully sufficient, suitable, or fit (often followed by to or for):

that sounds almost like some of our qbs in the past 8 years. Lets see in 2008 JPW was 12-2, 2009 Gmac was 14-0, and in 2011 AJ was 12-1. And before you flame about me putting AJ there consider the year. AJ wasnt as big of a part of our offense as he was in 12 and 13. Statistically his numbers werent all that great that year. Aside from the LSU rematch he was a hand it off, occasionally pass, and watch the defense do their thing kinda player. AJ a didnt really take off statistically until his second year so it is fair to say he was suitable for our team in 2011. AJ would later become one of the Top 10, or 5 depending on who you ask, greatest qbs in Bama history, but he wasnt a rockstar qb until the last game in 2011. . But we all have different interpretations of adequate, great, and bad so you can intepret it several diffrent ways.
We do have different interpretations of "adequate" and I believe we have different opinions on the quality of a player, ability of a player, and the intangables of a player such as Coker. You have gone into great detail but it does not change my stance. We tend to disagree on this subject, and that's ok. That is why this board is so great. In the end, we will pull for whoever the QB is with all our effort. We will see what transpires.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Coker does indeed have an NFL arm. The others truly don't. They could develop one, but right now they don't.
Coker's going to start the season as our Quarterback, so why not wish him the best?
Did you guys not see the 4th down touchdown pass Coker threw to Adarius Stewart in the A-Day Game?
Look at it on you tube. He dropped back to the fifty yard line and threw a rope to Adarius five yards deep in the end zone! A.J. couldn't do that. McCelroy couldn't do that. And with all due respect, I've seen absolutely no evidence that Cornwell can do that.
What, all of a sudden, makes Cornwell the leading prospect to start? Come on...he's not.
Of all the QB's behind Coker, Cooper Bateman is easily the best, and Cooper's not going to get the nod this year. It's going to be Coker. And I think he'll do a very good job.
sip

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

What player are you referencing?

Look at Mack's post:

What player was running the wrong routes yet sits atop the all time list in the record books?
Are we talking about DJ Hall here?? If so why all the secrecy about not just saying his name? He's been gone for 8 years now and left on a sour note so no need to protect his name. This just makes some people question other players work ethic who they shouldn't.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

Coker does indeed have an NFL arm. The others truly don't. They could develop one, but right now they don't.
Coker's going to start the season as our Quarterback, so why not wish him the best?
Did you guys not see the 4th down touchdown pass Coker threw to Adarius Stewart in the A-Day Game?
Look at it on you tube. He dropped back to the fifty yard line and threw a rope to Adarius five yards deep in the end zone! A.J. couldn't do that. McCelroy couldn't do that. And with all due respect, I've seen absolutely no evidence that Cornwell can do that.
What, all of a sudden, makes Cornwell the leading prospect to start? Come on...he's not.
Of all the QB's behind Coker, Cooper Bateman is easily the best, and Cooper's not going to get the nod this year. It's going to be Coker. And I think he'll do a very good job.
sip
Agree
If Coker is not the starter I will be shocked.

I think there are bigger issues on offense

Will Howard live up to hype? Can he catch a football?
How do you really replace a talent like Cooper? Will one step up? Will 3 step up? Remember Amari rarely dropped a ball, near his hands was as good as caught.
Running Backs? Their attitude? Does a real leader emerge? Reminds me of 2009 maybe we see that by the 3rd game.
O Line ???

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Agree
If Coker is not the starter I will be shocked.

I think there are bigger issues on offense

Will Howard live up to hype? Can he catch a football?
How do you really replace a talent like Cooper? Will one step up? Will 3 step up? Remember Amari rarely dropped a ball, near his hands was as good as caught.
Running Backs? Their attitude? Does a real leader emerge? Reminds me of 2009 maybe we see that by the 3rd game.
O Line ???
Exactly

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Are we talking about DJ Hall here?? If so why all the secrecy about not just saying his name? He's been gone for 8 years now and left on a sour note so no need to protect his name. This just makes some people question other players work ethic who they shouldn't.
I believe there's only two players that set offensive records last year - Amari Cooper and Blake Sims. I don't think Coop was running any wrong routes. Makes sense to me Mack is referencing Blake.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I believe there's only two players that set offensive records last year - Amari Cooper and Blake Sims. I don't think Coop was running any wrong routes. Makes sense to me Mack is referencing Blake.
It wasn't worded like 'last year'. Just a player who was atop the record books. Like All-Time Career Top 2-3 at a position is how I took it. The only QB, RB, or WR that really fits that description that we know lacked effort and might have 'ad-libbed' plays and was talented enough to do it was DJ Hall. It's the only player I can think of that would meet those criteria. There's no way Amari or Blake 'didn't know the playbook that well'. At any rate it just creates uneeded confusion by being vague and opens it up for players to be questioned.

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA

I think we need not lose sight of the fact that we are in good hands no matter the QB situation. Our coaching staff and team will not let any of our QBs fail. It has not happened yet.

With that said...I think if Cornwell may have a leg up. Saban's statements on his leadership & work ethic will mean a LOT come September.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

sip
I see your Jake Coker's arm and raise you Freddie Kitchens! :wink: Yeah, if it's about strong arms Coker wins this battle. Broddie Croyle had the strong arm but he didn't have the strong knees. Coker may have the strong arm, but does he have the strong qb mind?

It's anybody's guess right now. And it really doesn't matter who starts to me, but what matters is who plays and finishes the year.

I agree that Jake Coker will likely start unless he suffers a great collapse during the fall OR another one of the guys just lights it up.

However, there are some serious questions that he'll have to answer with his head, not just his arm to see whether he'll be the permanent starter as the season goes on. That's his biggest hurdle IMO. He's got the arm strength, but if he shows uncertainty and hesitency in his realease, like he's done in the past, he won't stay the starter.

What happened in the spring game is bothersome too. It was like a tale of two qbs from the first half to the second.

I personally think that is why some are guessing Cornwell instead. It's the same reason many guessed Coker over Sims last year at this point. We'd seen Sims not show what we thought it would take for him to be a starter in his limited play up to that point.

But lightening struck and the rest is history. The big questions going forward is "Will lightening strike twice" and allow a guy who's looked real uncertain at times the opportunity to get it all figured out and be an outstanding qb?

We'll all be watching and posting our opinions right up until the first game in Dallas and that's what makes this board so fun!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we need not lose sight of the fact that we are in good hands no matter the QB situation. Our coaching staff and team will not let any of our QBs fail. It has not happened yet.

With that said...I think if Cornwell may have a leg up. Saban's statements on his leadership & work ethic will mean a LOT come September.
The problem with reading into CNS comments are often times a deflection or generalizations. He has said a lot of statements that sound like one thing but are actually the opposite. Cornwell may well be the starter but if we are only going off saban's statements then it makes me think Coker still has the leg up. Keep in mind Coker and Morris were the ones that played with the ones on Aday and Coker started, also Bateman started with the twos and not Cornwell. Everyone wants to bring up a comment here or a comment there and that he got some reps with the 1s on the second scrimmage, but ignore the order I. A day. I think every opinion is valid but again I'm not seeing any strong indication that Cornwell has a leg up at this point. Just IMO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.