Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

I see your Jake Coker's arm and raise you Freddie Kitchens! :wink: Yeah, if it's about strong arms Coker wins this battle. Broddie Croyle had the strong arm but he didn't have the strong knees. Coker may have the strong arm, but does he have the strong qb mind?

It's anybody's guess right now. And it really doesn't matter who starts to me, but what matters is who plays and finishes the year.

I agree that Jake Coker will likely start unless he suffers a great collapse during the fall OR another one of the guys just lights it up.

However, there are some serious questions that he'll have to answer with his head, not just his arm to see whether he'll be the permanent starter as the season goes on. That's his biggest hurdle IMO. He's got the arm strength, but if he shows uncertainty and hesitency in his realease, like he's done in the past, he won't stay the starter.

What happened in the spring game is bothersome too. It was like a tale of two qbs from the first half to the second.

I personally think that is why some are guessing Cornwell instead. It's the same reason many guessed Coker over Sims last year at this point. We'd seen Sims not show what we thought it would take for him to be a starter in his limited play up to that point.

But lightening struck and the rest is history. The big questions going forward is "Will lightening strike twice" and allow a guy who's looked real uncertain at times the opportunity to get it all figured out and be an outstanding qb?

We'll all be watching and posting our opinions right up until the first game in Dallas and that's what makes this board so fun!
Indeed!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

If "lightening" strikes again, I'm going to start to looking around for women with dropped fetuses... :D

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I'll go out on a limb and cast my lot with Cornwell. Acknowledging I'm choosing a redshirt freshman over a fifth-year senior.

Neither he nor Coker has any experience to speak of. Coker may or may not have a better arm. But in the Kiffin offense, pure arm strength (within limits) isn't all that important. If it were, Coker would have started over Sims last year.

The distinguishing factor will be willingness to make a generally correct decision quickly. Cornwell has proven he will do that. Coker has shown time and again that he hesitates for fear of making a mistake. In that process he wastes opportunities and forecloses options.

To paraphrase George Patton: A good decision, immediately executed with vigor and enthusiasm will consistently beat a perfect decision executed hesitantly and too late.

Cornwell.

Last edited:

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012

Coker does indeed have an NFL arm. The others truly don't.
sip
this is dumb. cornwell has probably the biggest natural arm ive ever seen, and that was with somewhat poor mechanics in highschool. and unlike coker, his release is really fast. cornwell has the best physical potential of any qb on the team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

this is dumb. cornwell has probably the biggest natural arm ive ever seen, and that was with somewhat poor mechanics in highschool. and unlike coker, his release is really fast. cornwell has the best physical potential of any qb on the team.
You obviously havent seen Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger then.

Also I think sip is talking about arm strength not accuracy. Cornwell doesnt have the overall arm strength Coker has, but it is comparable. Cornwell has a better release than Coker at the moment, but if there is one thing Coker has improved on since last fall it is his release. It by no means is a finish product but it is light years better than what it was. Where the qb battle will be won is probably with decision making and accuracy. That probably leans more to Cornwell at the moment, but we really dont know about it other than rumors and an inconclusive A-day which both had similar numbers. So its really anyones guess and anyone's opinion.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

The debate about arm strength is irrelevant with the QBs we have on roster now. Arm strength was an issue when we had JPW and GMcElroy because there were several throws they couldn't make, or if they tried to make them they were consistently intercepted (such as a post corner to the opposite side of the field). All of the QBs competing for the starting position have adequate arm strength to make any throw in our offense. Who can actually throw the ball further down the field is irreverent. Coker may be able to throw the ball 80 yards but he would never be asked to do that in a game, except for maybe a hailmary attempt. Accuracy and decision making will always trump arm strength, in college and the NFL..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The debate about arm strength is irrelevant with the QBs we have on roster now. Arm strength was an issue when we had JPW and GMcElroy because there were several throws they couldn't make, or if they tried to make them they were consistently intercepted (such as a post corner to the opposite side of the field). All of the QBs competing for the starting position have adequate arm strength to make any throw in our offense. Who can actually throw the ball further down the field is irreverent. Coker may be able to throw the ball 80 yards but he would never be asked to do that in a game, except for maybe a hailmary attempt. Accuracy and decision making will always trump arm strength, in college and the NFL..
I agree, but the only reason I bring it up is it seems people are confusing strength with accuracy. There is a difference between how far you can chunk it and how far your max accuracy is. Coker can Jamarcus Russell throw the ball but his accuracy isnt near as far as his maximum arm strength. I think arm strength is imporatant more if you can be accurate with it. Its just another weapon in your arsenal. Thats why you dont see people crowding the line on Brady unless they have to.

Dr. Van Nostran

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2006
3 miles from Bryant Denny Stadium.

This offense has to have a QB with a quick release. With all due respect I can pour cold sorghum syrup over a biscuit quicker than Coker can hit a WR on a slant. It has been conveyed to me that he will not be our starter this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This offense has to have a QB with a quick release. With all due respect I can pour cold sorghum syrup over a biscuit quicker than Coker can hit a WR on a slant. It has been conveyed to me that he will not be our starter this year.
I like the analogy, and unfortunately, I afraid it is correct (about Coker's slow release).

Now, I know you can't say "who" conveyed the info on Coker not being the starter, but could you at least identify their relationship to the team (coach, staff, booster, former player still connected, etc.)?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Now, I know you can't say "who" conveyed the info on Coker not being the starter, but could you at least identify their relationship to the team (coach, staff, booster, former player still connected, etc.)?
Probably the same ones that were conveying last year that Blake Sims would not be the qb. I mean is there any concrete proof at this point for either way it could potentially go. The answer is no we are mostly basing everything we know about Coker and what we hope about Cornwell or Bateman, kinda like last year. As far as sources close to the program they mostly cant be verified. Everyone says they know someone, but you cant decifer it. Im not saying the poster doesnt know, but more or less saying "believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.". As far as Coker, I think if he mends his release and decision making skills he will be a good qb for us, but he has a ways to go. But its not impossible.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I believe what you speak is accurate.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

As far as Coker, I think if he mends his release and decision making skills he will be a good qb for us, but he has a ways to go. But its not impossible.
So you're just saying you hope he becomes"a" quarterback. The skills you mention that he lacks are vital for success. Not add-ons.

He very well might be our guy. But if he or any QB doesn't tone up their decision making, then we are looking at an 8-9 win season with our schedule. The SECW is way too tough.

RTR

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

So you're just saying you hope he becomes"a" quarterback. The skills you mention that he lacks are vital for success. Not add-ons.

He very well might be our guy. But if he or any QB doesn't tone up their decision making, then we are looking at an 8-9 win season with our schedule. The SECW is way too tough.

RTR
To be honest I could care less who became our qb as long as he doesnt lose games for us whether its Coker,Cornwell, or Little Johnny. Im saying people are all caught up again of what they hear from a "reliable" sources or what an al.com or whatever article says and are writing this guy off or picking this guy to win it due to it. The truth is we know very little of what goes on. The only real concrete thing we can go off of is A-day, and if past history has taught us anything that is little at best as well. As far as the SECw I think it will be a down year to be honest I just think the landmass state teams and Arky arent sneaking up on anyone. So I think its us and auburn with aTm the darkhorse.We might be the most balanced team.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Just a guess on my part, but there are some on this board that know a lot about what goes on.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

To be honest I could care less who became our qb as long as he doesnt lose games for us whether its Coker,Cornwell, or Little Johnny. Im saying people are all caught up again of what they hear from a "reliable" sources or what an al.com or whatever article says and are writing this guy off or picking this guy to win it due to it. The truth is we know very little of what goes on. The only real concrete thing we can go off of is A-day, and if past history has taught us anything that is little at best as well. As far as the SECw I think it will be a down year to be honest I just think the landmass state teams and Arky arent sneaking up on anyone. So I think its us and auburn with aTm the darkhorse.We might be the most balanced team.
I think to under estimate Arky is a huge misjudgment.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012

You obviously havent seen Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger then.

Also I think sip is talking about arm strength not accuracy. Cornwell doesnt have the overall arm strength Coker has
tom brady does not have an especially strong arm in the nfl. he is productive because he has excellent timing, anticipation, and accuracy. Driving the ball down field is probably his weakest qb attribute. have you even watched any of cornwell's tape? he can throw 40+ yard lasers on the move, all arm.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
tom brady does not have an especially strong arm in the nfl. he is productive because he has excellent timing, anticipation, and accuracy. Driving the ball down field is probably his weakest qb attribute. have you even watched any of cornwell's tape? he can throw 40+ yard lasers on the move, all arm.
Brady has one of the strongest arms in football. People tend to forget that because he is constantly labeled a system qb and is constantly compared to Peyton. He is a very strong armed qb if need be, but he doesn't have that Bret carve gunslinger mentality that people associate with qbs with strong arms. But his primary game is command and control, but the reason I referenced Brady, Rodgers, and Big Ben is because you said Cornwell has the strongest arm that you ever seen. I guess blue font was needed for sarcasm and wise crackism, but anyways...

Last edited:

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

With the utmost respect, I disagree. I would be shocked If Coker is not the man. Something very strange would have to happen. He did look the best at A Day.

The other thing is his attitude taking the bench last year, I think that scored a lot of points with CNS. I remind people all the time that the 2010 team had all the talent but not the leaderships & attitude. Who emerges as a leader will be QB not the strongest arm.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.