Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Of the 32 QB's in the NFL, Brady is rated #18 in arm strength.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Of the 32 QB's in the NFL, Brady is rated #18 in arm strength.
If you are going by bleacher report then that also says Peyton manning is stronger. That simply isn't anywhere close to being true. Brady has thrown 60+ accurately and says he could probably throw further if he tried. I think there are some above Brady in overall arm strength that I didn't list but few can accurately throw as accurate than him at long ranges. I think you can make a good argument with luck or stafford, but beside the other two I listed and them it's few more.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

I've long thought that Cornwell was the future for us, and I think the future will start this season.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

If you are going by bleacher report then that also says Peyton manning is stronger. That simply isn't anywhere close to being true. Brady has thrown 60+ accurately and says he could probably throw further if he tried. I think there are some above Brady in overall arm strength that I didn't list but few can accurately throw as accurate than him at long ranges. I think you can make a good argument with luck or stafford, but beside the other two I listed and them it's few more.
Off-topic, but definitely Stafford and Luck can out-throw Brady, with some accuracy. Off the top of my head, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, and Big Ben can likely throw it farther. Probably Kaepernick, too. This is just off the top of my head.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/al...s-ability-go-vertical-makes-bama-ultra-scary/

Don't know if this has been shared in this thread or not. An argument for Coker.

However, I just can't get passed Coker's tendency, even with his strong arm, to hesitate and stare down receivers.
Those two things can be killer for a QB. It worries me to think about him as our QB unless he really improves in at least one of these. It's more difficult to change one's throwing motion, so maybe he'll be more comfortable after another year and his decision-making time will improve.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Interesting that he noted that Cornwell as a clone of Coker and in case of tie it goes to the upperclassman. Not necessarily so. If a 5th year Senior cannot out perform a Freshman, then you go with the frosh. Obviously he would have a lot higher ceiling...I have had more than 1 college coach tell me the same.

How do these guys get paid for writing stuff like this?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Interesting that he noted that Cornwell as a clone of Coker and in case of tie it goes to the upperclassman. Not necessarily so. If a 5th year Senior cannot out perform a Freshman, then you go with the frosh. Obviously he would have a lot higher ceiling...I have had more than 1 college coach tell me the same.

How do these guys get paid for writing stuff like this?[/
QUOTE]

Probably didn't get paid. It's from a blog.

The really sad thing is that even paid writers do clunkers like this, from the same piece:

"Anytime I think about the vertical-stretch game I harken back to current Minnesota Vikings OC Norv Turner and his time spent in San Diego as the head coach for the Chargers — where QB Philip Rivers (6’5″, 228 lbs) implemented the Air Coryell attack to perfection by threatening defenses with bigger, fast receivers like Vincent Jackson (6’5″, 230 lbs), Malcom Floyd (6’5, 225 lbs) and Antonio Gates (6’4″, 265 lbs).

The Tide can replicate this with ease behind Coker’s arm strength, and a gang of bigger receivers: Howard (6’5″, 230 lbs), Foster (6’2″, 194 lbs), ArDarius Stewart (6’1, 204 lbs), Raheem Falkins (6’4″, 210 lbs) and Ridley (6’1″, 170 lbs)."

Easily replicate a pro offense with a five-time Pro Bowl quarterback? It seems unlikely.

Would be great to be wrong, though. :cool:

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010

very simple, the coaches will make their evauations, and with 30 days of practice before Wisconsin, and three early games all should know who will be the qb for the season. the only favorite I have is the best during first 6 weeks august thru Wisconsin once again our offensive line will be the key to our offense. and how well our defense overcomes our secondary from last year.

B

BroadwayJoe777

It is and has been Coker's to lose. Looks like he still is the starter so far. Saban always uses the upperclassmen if possible.
On a side note, didn't Saban say that the starting QB is up to Coach Kiffy?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

very simple, the coaches will make their evauations, and with 30 days of practice before Wisconsin, and three early games all should know who will be the qb for the season. the only favorite I have is the best during first 6 weeks august thru Wisconsin once again our offensive line will be the key to our offense. and how well our defense overcomes our secondary from last year.
Are there 30 days of practice before Wisconsin?

Which brings up the question: When do official practices begin?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

These tell me two things: First, Coker didn't win the job in the second scrimmage as Saban thought he would.

Second, nobody's won the team yet. Which I don't think bodes well for a fifth year senior with the same amount of time in the system as a redshirt freshman.

I think Coker has the best combination we have of talent (a lot) and experience (no meaningful snaps on his resume, but nobody else has any either) on the team. I'm not sure he has the thought processes and confidence to put that talent to effective use. Five years into college coaching with that much talent should have yielded more on-field presence than we've seen thus far.

Maybe he'll surprise us by blossoming over the summer, like Blake did. I sure hope so. But my money's on Cornwell, redshirt freshman mistakes and all.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

These tell me two things: First, Coker didn't win the job in the second scrimmage as Saban thought he would.

Second, nobody's won the team yet. Which I don't think bodes well for a fifth year senior with the same amount of time in the system as a redshirt freshman.

I think Coker has the best combination we have of talent (a lot) and experience (no meaningful snaps on his resume, but nobody else has any either) on the team. I'm not sure he has the thought processes and confidence to put that talent to effective use. Five years into college coaching with that much talent should have yielded more on-field presence than we've seen thus far.

Maybe he'll surprise us by blossoming over the summer, like Blake did. I sure hope so. But my money's on Cornwell, redshirt freshman mistakes and all.
I tend to agree with you. I'm fine with either one of them playing though. I think Cornwell's mistakes are more fixable than Coker's appear to be. We'll be fine either way..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I'd disagree with you a little on the meaningful snaps part. Blake got hurt when we had only a 7 point lead (28 - 21) against Florida late in the 3rd quarter. Jake came in off the bench and threw a TD pass to put us up 35-21. We all remember that game as a blowout because of the video game stats, but it was still very much a ballgame on the score board until the 4th quarter. If Jake had came in a threw an INT and let UF back in the game it may have been very different.

Now granted, that's not much, but I don't think it should be over looked. I'll say this - Jake has shown WAY more flashes of how good he can be than Blake did for his first 4 years. Blake never seemed to be anything more than a career backup until last year. Jake has shown flashes of brillance, but not consistently. If he can put it together like Blake did over last summer, look out!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Flashes of brilliance? I assume this has happened in practices that you have been able to watch. All I've seen of Coker is a guy who seems to be a good teammate on the sidelines and a guy with a live arm who seems a little slow with decision making who does not seem to move well in the pocket. This doesn't mean he is slow because he actually seems to have decent straight ahead speed. He just seems to lack quickness in the pocket. Of course, we should be prepared to accept more sacks this year without Sims no matter who is named our starter. Blake helped us with his feet many times last year. Now, my observations of Coker don't mean squat because I'm not our coach, but my point is that these observations are based on such a small amount of playing time due to his inexperience. Coker has no more time in our system than Cornwell, so I wouldn't play the senior experience card too much. I think we have quite a bit of talent at the QB position right now, and I think one or two of them will step up and play well enough for us to win.

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE

Coker does indeed have an NFL arm. The others truly don't. They could develop one, but right now they don't.
Coker's going to start the season as our Quarterback, so why not wish him the best?
Did you guys not see the 4th down touchdown pass Coker threw to Adarius Stewart in the A-Day Game?
Look at it on you tube. He dropped back to the fifty yard line and threw a rope to Adarius five yards deep in the end zone! A.J. couldn't do that. McCelroy couldn't do that. And with all due respect, I've seen absolutely no evidence that Cornwell can do that.
What, all of a sudden, makes Cornwell the leading prospect to start? Come on...he's not.
Of all the QB's behind Coker, Cooper Bateman is easily the best, and Cooper's not going to get the nod this year. It's going to be Coker. And I think he'll do a very good job.
sip
Yeah, what he said. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.