Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

It seems to me that Cornwell could be the starter as a freshman ..... if he were at Miss St or Kentucky or somewhere beside one of the favorites with some high profile QBs already in the system. I am not sure Cam or Johnnie Football could come in as a RFS and beat out Coker or Bateman or Morris. But anything could happen.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

I had forgotten that Coker had not enrolled until after Spring practice last year.

And while I believe Cornwell had enrolled in January 2014, IIRC, he was recovering from a knee injury suffered in his senior year in HS, and then injured an ankle in the Spring, which required surgery...

So I suppose neither had a whole lot of time in the system prior to last Fall...

From what I'm hearing, Coker's problem boils down to one of decision-making on the field.

How correctable something like that would be over the short-term is, I suppose, an important question facing the coaches...

It does sound like he's being given every opportunity to grab the reins.

And while I'm not given to making predictions, if Coker continues to improve - albeit slowly - then I can easily see him being the default choice, assuming all else is equal.

Even though, looking down the road, from a continuity standpoint, I can see the allure of Cornwell carrying the load this year...

Of course, as we all know, even if Coker starts the season, he has to earn the opportunity to remain the starter...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

It seems to me that Cornwell could be the starter as a freshman ..... if he were at Miss St or Kentucky or somewhere beside one of the favorites with some high profile QBs already in the system. I am not sure Cam or Johnnie Football could come in as a RFS and beat out Coker or Bateman or Morris. But anything could happen.
There would be some variables at play with those scenarios, but I wouldn't bet against Cam in that hypothetical.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I realize this is not exactly a scientifically derived opinion...

But, last year at this time, I had read a lot about players supporting Blake and his efforts to become a better QB (his Spring Break and Summer training with Mastrole). This year, I haven't really read anything on Coker except discussions about whether he would start or not. I don't get the same sense I had last year about Blake - that he's giving immense effort to be the best QB he can be.

To be fair, I haven't read that about Cornwell either, but it seems like all the momentum is on his side. Chris Low tweets that "there's a genuine feeling at Alabama that David Cornwell could end up winning the job." There have been several similar reports.

This just leads me to believe that observers think Cornwell is the one who is trending upward.

I can't wait to see it all on the field. I really don't care who wins the job. I'm confident whoever Saban selects will be the best man for the job.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Coker still hasn't managed to win the job. He couldn't beat out a RB last year.....He may just be one of those that has all of the physical attributes....but just either doesn't have the killer instinct, or perhaps he just isn't giving them the confidence.....

I'm guessing that vs Wisconsin -- Coker starts -- Cornwell plays the 2nd quarter -- and the 2nd half starter will let us know who wins the job.

Our Defense should be able to hold off Wisconsin -- and let the QB situation play out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

And while I'm not given to making predictions, if Coker continues to improve - albeit slowly - then I can easily see him being the default choice, assuming all else is equal.

Even though, looking down the road, from a continuity standpoint, I can see the allure of Cornwell carrying the load this year...
I think you've captured the debate right here: Is a SR. and maturity going to win out over youth and continuity (for the future)?

We know they'll both make mistakes. Who can make less will probably win the job. If they are prone to the same amount/kind of mistakes I say go with youth and continuity. JMO.

Coker still hasn't managed to win the job. He couldn't beat out a RB last year.....He may just be one of those that has all of the physical attributes....but just either doesn't have the killer instinct, or perhaps he just isn't giving them the confidence.....

I'm guessing that vs Wisconsin -- Coker starts -- Cornwell plays the 2nd quarter -- and the 2nd half starter will let us know who wins the job.

Our Defense should be able to hold off Wisconsin -- and let the QB situation play out.
I could certainly see this happening!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I personally am pulling for Cornwell to get the job. I was blessed with opportunity to spend some time around him and his family this summer (great people!) and he is a humble and down to earth kid. He speaks highly of all his teammates, including Coker. He immediately won my respect because of his character (not just because he plays football). If the physical tools and knowledge of the offense are there, no doubt he has the leadership ability too. I was very impressed with him.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Don't rule out Henry swapping from RB to QB in Coach Kiffens offense. We don't know what Coach Kiffen has in his bag for this year.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

If last year showed us anything it's that Coach Kiffin will do the unexpected, so it could be anyone he thinks can run his offense.

I know a lot will not agree with me but I see CLK calling the shots he can put up points. The Defense needs the work & I bet that is where you see CNS spending most of his time.

BTW, I give Kiffin a lot of credit but we have very good asstistant coaches & that is where the learning starts & continues.

bluesrulz

3rd Team

I agree with this!

Coker does indeed have an NFL arm. The others truly don't. They could develop one, but right now they don't.
Coker's going to start the season as our Quarterback, so why not wish him the best?
Did you guys not see the 4th down touchdown pass Coker threw to Adarius Stewart in the A-Day Game?
Look at it on you tube. He dropped back to the fifty yard line and threw a rope to Adarius five yards deep in the end zone! A.J. couldn't do that. McCelroy couldn't do that. And with all due respect, I've seen absolutely no evidence that Cornwell can do that.
What, all of a sudden, makes Cornwell the leading prospect to start? Come on...he's not.
Of all the QB's behind Coker, Cooper Bateman is easily the best, and Cooper's not going to get the nod this year. It's going to be Coker. And I think he'll do a very good job.
sip

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

All of this talk has me really amazed thinking back at how well Sims played. Truly over his head.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

I don't feel good posting this and maybe I shouldn't. Don't wish to disparage or cast aspersions on any player of ours. Oh well...

Coker had just as much time as Sims to learn the offense last year. He had just as much time with Kiffen. He was unable to do better than Sims. Coker has an unbelievable arm and is extremely athletic. If he still can't grasp the offense, well, ...

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I don't feel good posting this and maybe I shouldn't. Don't wish to disparage or cast aspersions on any player of ours. Oh well...

Coker had just as much time as Sims to learn the offense last year. He had just as much time with Kiffen. He was unable to do better than Sims. Coker has an unbelievable arm and is extremely athletic. If he still can't grasp the offense, well, ...
While Coker has some issues, I still think he is a strong favorite to start. I have a hard time imagining anyone else taking the first snap against Wisconsin.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Coker does indeed have an NFL arm. The others truly don't. They could develop one, but right now they don't.
Coker's going to start the season as our Quarterback, so why not wish him the best?
Did you guys not see the 4th down touchdown pass Coker threw to Adarius Stewart in the A-Day Game?
Look at it on you tube. He dropped back to the fifty yard line and threw a rope to Adarius five yards deep in the end zone! A.J. couldn't do that. McCelroy couldn't do that. And with all due respect, I've seen absolutely no evidence that Cornwell can do that.
What, all of a sudden, makes Cornwell the leading prospect to start? Come on...he's not.
Of all the QB's behind Coker, Cooper Bateman is easily the best, and Cooper's not going to get the nod this year. It's going to be Coker. And I think he'll do a very good job.
sip
While possibly true that he's got the only NFL arm on the team, the same thing was true at this time last year, maybe even moreso, but he still didn't grab the reigns and go. I think it'll come down to who shows the leadership and decision making, not who has the hottest arm.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

While possibly true that he's got the only NFL arm on the team, the same thing was true at this time last year, maybe even moreso, but he still didn't grab the reigns and go. I think it'll come down to who shows the leadership and decision making, not who has the hottest arm.
Agreed, especially the decision-making. And it's not just making the right decision, it's making it quickly. This is where Coker has struggled.

Whether it's lack of confidence or lack of understanding, or fear of making a mistake, or some other issue, it's a repeated theme.

This also has implications for leadership. It's hard to inspire the troops when the action is hot, heavy and fast, and they look in your eyes and see, "Ummmmm.."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Except he didn't. Coker got to campus in June. Sims went through spring practice. That gave him around 20 practices of experience that Coker did not have.

Also, Sims won the team over. Saban has admitted that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Except he didn't. Coker got to campus in June. Sims went through spring practice. That gave him around 20 practices of experience that Coker did not have.

Also, Sims won the team over. Saban has admitted that.
not to mention Coker was recovering from a meniscus tear from the previous season, so he had a significant gap of time that he wasnt going full strength. But Sims winning over the team was the overall factor in the battle.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

All I know that every year Coach Saban (except for the 2007 season) has had a QB issue, we've either won the national championship, or we've done really, really well overall in the season. I also believe that Coach Saban thought on paper that Jacob Coker would win the job last season. At some point in the summer, whether it was the other players, whether it was Blake Sims stepping it up, or some combination of all of those things, Coach Saban realized that Blake Sims was the better option, and he ended proving to be right. I distinctly remember Coach Saban getting all over the media about Jacob Coker and going out of his way to talk about Blake Sims.

We will certainly have our discussion about this, but more often than not, Coach Saban and his staff will get it right. I am not the least worried about this particular decision. If Coker isn't the starter, then that will at least show that Coach Saban whiffed on that particular recruitment in terms of having a better idea if Coker was ready to play the position at Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.