Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

All I know that every year Coach Saban (except for the 2007 season) has had a QB issue, we've either won the national championship, or we've done really, really well overall in the season. I also believe that Coach Saban thought on paper that Jacob Coker would win the job last season. At some point in the summer, whether it was the other players, whether it was Blake Sims stepping it up, or some combination of all of those things, Coach Saban realized that Blake Sims was the better option, and he ended proving to be right. I distinctly remember Coach Saban getting all over the media about Jacob Coker and going out of his way to talk about Blake Sims.

We will certainly have our discussion about this, but more often than not, Coach Saban and his staff will get it right. I am not the least worried about this particular decision. If Coker isn't the starter, then that will at least show that Coach Saban whiffed on that particular recruitment in terms of having a better idea if Coker was ready to play the position at Alabama.
Recently, Saban said he felt Coker was going to be the starter going into the second scrimmage of last season's fall camp. Blake won the team over and took the spot.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Recently, Saban said he felt Coker was going to be the starter going into the second scrimmage of last season's fall camp. Blake won the team over and took the spot.
I remember making the statement to friends that Blake Sims would cost us the NC and Blake ended up playing much better than I thought he would. Still, Blake cost us the NC though when he threw the int at the end of the game against Ohio St. We may not have made it to the final four with out Sims at the helm, he was good but he had his moments.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I remember making the statement to friends that Blake Sims would cost us the NC and Blake ended up playing much better than I thought he would. Still, Blake cost us the NC though when he threw the int at the end of the game against Ohio St. We may not have made it to the final four with out Sims at the helm, he was good but he had his moments.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Did you actually watch the whole game? Your assessment is inaccurate.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

You win and lose as a team.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Blake Sims did not cost us the national championship. A combination of things, including decisions regarding offensive strategy, cost us the national championship.
I felt then and feel now that had Blake Sims not thrown that int, we would have won the game.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

You win and lose as a team.
I'm not trying to come down on Blake Sims other than the unfortunate int. he played his heart out all year and most importantly Blake had the team behind him. Blake Sims was the best QB that we had to suit up last year regardless

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I felt then and feel now that had Blake Sims not thrown that int, we would have won the game.
Eh, there are a ton of other moments to point to. The Maurice Smith unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the kickoff after we went up 21-6, on which Reuben Foster had destroyed the OSU returner at the 13, was a major turning point in the game. OSU got to start at the 28 instead, and run up 28 points before Alabama scored again.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Eh, there are a ton of other moments to point to. The Maurice Smith unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the kickoff after we went up 21-6, on which Reuben Foster had destroyed the OSU returner at the 13, was a major turning point in the game. OSU got to start at the 28 instead, and run up 28 points before Alabama scored again.
I agree, I was referring to QB play but you are right, we hurt ourselves in other ways too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I agree, I was referring to QB play but you are right, we hurt ourselves in other ways too.
You're acting like Blake Sims is the reason for the Sugar Bowl loss. You originally pointed to this last INT. You appear to be referencing the one where Von Bell intercepted him around the goal line. That play is not the reason Alabama lost.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Sure, an INT can contribute to a loss. But, Blake also doesn't play defense, and he didn't contribute to the unsportsmanlike penalty that I feel negated some of the momentum Alabama had at that point. Finally, Kiffin got too cute at times in the game, and again, gave up some momentum.

There are never just one or two things that lead to a loss. One of the biggest reasons we lost to Auburn in 2013 is our inability to run the ball in the short-yardage situations. I have no problem with how Blake played for most of the season; he was still a first-year quarterback despite being a senior. However, we have a new season upon us, and it's time to move on from the "what if's" of the 2014 season. Time to see what the 2015 team is made of and see how far they can go.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

You're acting like Blake Sims is the reason for the Sugar Bowl loss. You originally pointed to this last INT. You appear to be referencing the one where Von Bell intercepted him around the goal line. That play is not the reason Alabama lost.
Granted that it's not be the sole reason but it weighed heavily. I'm a Blake Sims fan 110%, but he made us a bunch of times and he broke us a few. Any time a RB can come in and take the job away from the highly touted QB's we had last year, show's that we were lacking at that position.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Sure, an INT can contribute to a loss. But, Blake also doesn't play defense, and he didn't contribute to the unsportsmanlike penalty that I feel negated some of the momentum Alabama had at that point. Finally, Kiffin got too cute at times in the game, and again, gave up some momentum.

There are never just one or two things that lead to a loss. One of the biggest reasons we lost to Auburn in 2013 is our inability to run the ball in the short-yardage situations. I have no problem with how Blake played for most of the season; he was still a first-year quarterback despite being a senior. However, we have a new season upon us, and it's time to move on from the "what if's" of the 2014 season. Time to see what the 2015 team is made of and see how far they can go.
Jacob Coker wasn't ready last year but there should be no reason, barring a new injury, that he isn't up to the task for this season. I could nit pick the OSU game all day long with what ifs but I was referring to QB play and the feeling I got even before the first game. Roll Tide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

TOSU loss is an all around loss that you can't blame on one player, coach, or penalty.

The 2013 auburn game I think you can squarely put that one on nuss and CNS. Had we had kiffin that day we beat them running away. Auburn couldn't stop AJ or cooper that day and sold out against the run. CNS was wishy washy on the trust level on the kicker much like he was in the 2011 lsu game. It's just that we didn't have weeks to make up the mistakes like the 2011 game.

We can debate tOSU game til the cows come home on who's to blame and why we lost, but it doesn't change us losing. It's officially a new year and Wisconsin is now on the menu

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

We lost to tOSU because we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Our secondary just wasn't very good last year.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

We lost to tOSU because we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Our secondary just wasn't very good last year.
Can I get an AMEN?

If we're 50% on third down defense, we win easily. We weren't. We can debate why that was until we're all blue. Fact remains, the OSU 3rd down conversion rate is what beat us.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

This is the truth. It was not 3rd and 1 and 2's but 3rd and 8-9-10-11 and greater. Played great 1st and 2nd down football but....... We will be much better this year on defense.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I'll take Revisionist History for $1,000, Alex.

We wouldn't have won 10 games last year without Blake Sims.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.