Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

We lost to OSU because they were better than us.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

We lost to OSU because they were better than us.
On that day. Of course that's all that matters but I don't think they were a better team. They won the game but they weren't the better team. It's like when the Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl. Nobody thought the Giants were better but they won the game.

On a side note, I can't wait for the season to start so we actually have something meaningful to talk about..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
On that day. Of course that's all that matters but I don't think they were a better team. They won the game but they weren't the better team. It's like when the Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl. Nobody thought the Giants were better but they won the game.

On a side note, I can't wait for the season to start so we actually have something meaningful to talk about..

Matchup wise the giants were the better team. They proved it both times. As far as tOSU being better than us I think they were. To be honest we benifited from two early turnovers. It was basically the reverse Florida game with more evenly matched teams. They won we lost, and it's hard to dispute they were the better team unless you want to bring up the schedule difference, but even them what does it matter when we suffered fewer criticial injuries than they did and still lost.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

Anything else is just excuses.
Man for man they were better?????
No way. OSU had more determination and motivation (that was obvious). It was evident in the way Jones fielded the opening kickoff and Yeldon not starting the game. I felt like I was watching a repeat of the 2013 barn game. They showed up like their ticket had already been punched to the NC and it was all just a formality.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

I find it puzzling that when two teams play the winning team is automatically looked at as the better team. Was Ole Miss better than Alabama last season? Was Virginia Tech a better team than OSU last year? People will state reasons why Ole Miss and Virginia Tech won those games but then when the same arguments are made about the Bama-OSU game they are "excuses" lol

There's a difference between being the better team and being the better team on a given day..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I find it puzzling that when two teams play the winning team is automatically looked at as the better team. Was Ole Miss better than Alabama last season? Was Virginia Tech a better team than OSU last year? People will state reasons why Ole Miss and Virginia Tech won those games but then when the same arguments are made about the Bama-OSU game they are "excuses" lol

There's a difference between being the better team and being the better team on a given day..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Our offense had two really "off" games last year and we lost 'em both. Defense struggled all year long, especially the secondary, but we won those games when the offense performed.

Now the real question about those two losses is was BS off or was it the offense, as a whole, that underperformed?

The thing that stinks about the OSU loss is, we didn't have a chance to "bounce back" like we did after the OM loss.

Oh well, we'll just start over again in about 6 weeks.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Our offense had two really "off" games last year and we lost 'em both. Defense struggled all year long, especially the secondary, but we won those games when the offense performed.

Now the real question about those two losses is was BS off or was it the offense, as a whole, that underperformed?

The thing that stinks about the OSU loss is, we didn't have a chance to "bounce back" like we did after the OM loss.

Oh well, we'll just start over again in about 6 weeks.
I sincerely don't feel that Blake Sims was off, Blake was a running back that did a very good job of playing QB all year. It caught up with us a couple games when all the mistakes compounded. All in all we had a very good season that many, many teams would have liked to have. I continually get flamed for what is perceived as negative comments about Blake Sims but I was Blake Sims greatest fan last year and who ever is our QB this year, I will be their greast fan.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009

We lost. It doesn't matter if someone thinks we were a better team. After watching the game again a few months ago, what stood out to me was the atrocious 3rd down pass defense and giving up 250+ yds rushing. It's easy to put this on the INTs, but from the 2nd quarter on our defense just didn't play at a level necessary to win a championship. You can say football has changed, etc., but our D against OSU was pretty much the opposite of the 2011 team. We got away with it against Auburn, but you can't expect to win playoff games and championships getting in shootouts and giving up 45 pts. If our D had just been mediocre we probably win, but as a lifelong Bama fan I can't look at our defensive effort in this game and say we're a "better" team because we didn't show it on the field. Props to JK Scott with the best game punting I've ever seen, college or pro and it's a shame we didn't play better defensively.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

We lost. It doesn't matter if someone thinks we were a better team. After watching the game again a few months ago, what stood out to me was the atrocious 3rd down pass defense and giving up 250+ yds rushing. It's easy to put this on the INTs, but from the 2nd quarter on our defense just didn't play at a level necessary to win a championship. You can say football has changed, etc., but our D against OSU was pretty much the opposite of the 2011 team. We got away with it against Auburn, but you can't expect to win playoff games and championships getting in shootouts and giving up 45 pts. If our D had just been mediocre we probably win, but as a lifelong Bama fan I can't look at our defensive effort in this game and say we're a "better" team because we didn't show it on the field. Props to JK Scott with the best game punting I've ever seen, college or pro and it's a shame we didn't play better defensively.
I agree but we still had a very good team when we weren't making stupid mistakes. I think we will be a better team this year all across the board. Just 6 more weeks.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think the thing that a lot of Alabama fans want to point out, is the fact that Ohio State isn't way ahead of Alabama, in the same way Auburn wasn't actually way ahead of Alabama the year before. Remember early last season when some people were talking like Auburn was well ahead? The team that ended up with 8 wins?

Or, how about the time Urban Meyer's team soundly beat Alabama, only to get soundly beaten the next two times he played Alabama? The point is Ohio State played a better game, but they also played a softer schedule and were overall better rested and more healthy (despite the fluke situation at QB). They beat Alabama, yes, but we all know if Alabama played that team early in the season, Alabama wins.

That's why, it's fair to call Ohio State the better team, sure, but it's not reasonable to draw some conclusion that what they're doing it better, or that they would beat Alabama if they played them again.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I seem to remember the last RFF to start by the name of McCarron and he did OK! It's a mistake to overlook someone because they are young. Thankfully, Coach Saban, looks at ability rather than age. I hope Cornwall starts if he is good enough.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I think the thing that a lot of Alabama fans want to point out, is the fact that Ohio State isn't way ahead of Alabama, in the same way Auburn wasn't actually way ahead of Alabama the year before. Remember early last season when some people were talking like Auburn was well ahead? The team that ended up with 8 wins?

Or, how about the time Urban Meyer's team soundly beat Alabama, only to get soundly beaten the next two times he played Alabama? The point is Ohio State played a better game, but they also played a softer schedule and were overall better rested and more healthy (despite the fluke situation at QB). They beat Alabama, yes, but we all know if Alabama played that team early in the season, Alabama wins.

That's why, it's fair to call Ohio State the better team, sure, but it's not reasonable to draw some conclusion that what they're doing it better, or that they would beat Alabama if they played them again.
Not sure how much rest is a factor when you have almost a month between the games.

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA

OSU and Meyer were just the better team that day. CNS admitted he did not properly prepare the team. Cardale Jones just had his day. Not even Meyer saw that happening but when it worked he changed his game plan to take advantage. Alabama never adjusted or found a way to stop it. So Jones ran over us and their RB ran around us. As bad as we played we only lost by 7. If Blake did not toss two interceptions and Kiffin stuck with running Henry as bad as we were there was still a chance we could of snatched a victory.

OSU just exposed Alabama like others had done all season. Again long ball passes were completed without hindrance and we could not protect the edges and get off the field on third down. Until CNS fixes the DB's, gets a consistent pass rush that sacks their QB and we develop an OL that can not only pass block but run block our headaches will continue. Also Kiffin needs to use all his WR's and not just feed the Amari's like last year. Any of the QB's Coker or Morris or Cornwall have enough ability to run the team. Just need to regain that cohesiveness we had several years ago and go be dominant again.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

I sincerely don't feel that Blake Sims was off, Blake was a running back that did a very good job of playing QB all year. It caught up with us a couple games when all the mistakes compounded. All in all we had a very good season that many, many teams would have liked to have. I continually get flamed for what is perceived as negative comments about Blake Sims but I was Blake Sims greatest fan last year and who ever is our QB this year, I will be their greast fan.
No flame at all from me. I actually admire your willingness to call it like you see it. And for what it's worth I think it is a fair discussion that our quarterback play last year could have kept us from going all the way. I don't think anyone can prove that or disapprove that so it is what we do on a message board.

I think the most impressive thing that can be said about Blake Sims' play last year is that he far exceeded anything that anyone could have ever expected considering no one ggave him much of a chance to even start.

So I don't think it is a slight on him if it could be true he wasn't good enough to help us win a national championship. A great quarterback can be great without winning the championship. And Blake Sims will go down in history as a great quarterback at Alabama.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Didn't Cornwell miss a big chunk of his h.s. senior season? I think he has the same amount of time at Alabama as Coker, though. If either have good-to-great years, what sort of talk about "system qb's" does that start?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

An 8-5 auburn team (that most thought was not very good) hung 44 points on us at BDS. That should have been a tipoff that we would have to outscore tOSU, and Oregon if we had won, because our defense was not very good.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I seem to remember the last RFF to start by the name of McCarron and he did OK! It's a mistake to overlook someone because they are young. Thankfully, Coach Saban, looks at ability rather than age. I hope Cornwall starts if he is good enough.
I'm assuming "RFF" is a typo and you mean redshirt Freshman. McCarron was a redshirt Sophomore when he started so it was his 3rd year in the program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.