Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
^ WMack reminded me of a question . . open for anyone: With Kiffin on the sidelines last season, who was the prime set of eyes in the pressbox for the offense? Was it Napier? Think I recall seeing Cristobal on the sidelines, so it probably wasn't him.

Is there someone new to the staff on the offense side that might fill this role?
That's a great question..and I honestly have no clue.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I found a list of freshman QB that had success
Jamelle Holieway
Mike Vick
Sam Bradford
Tommie Frazier
Pat White
Colt McCoy
RG III
Kellen Morre
These are just a few. there are more but you get the point.
Thank you for that response but I will say I know Mike Vick was a redshirt freshman when he started. He then played one more year and turned pro as a redshirt sophomore.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That was me. And here's what I know now. Since camp, Barnett has been the best (most consistent) guy and it's not even close. And that says a lot more about everyone than it does him, although his hard work should not be overlooked. Everyone else is consistently inconsistent. Heard some things this morning that almost made me throw up my breakfast. But again, the live bullets will come out tomorrow, and we'll know more then. Even though what they've been doing so far is basically some 7 of 7 stuff with 1s vs 1s, etc., it may be a situation where the light comes on when the lights come on (I hope so).

But here's the saving grace. There's a lot of talent on this team. Worst case scenario, this team is good enough to win 10 games in spite of inefficient QB play. But I watched Lane hold the hand of a QB last season and did everything except take the snaps for him and that worked out very well.

Disclaimer: that's not a knock on Blake. Kiffin installed a new system with intricacies someone in the system for 3 years would have no issue with, but not only was it his first year in the system, it was his first year starting and he had a ton of pressure; same situation that whoever the guy this year will be in. And whoever it is, I doubt seriously that Kiffin will come from on the sideline. He'll be there to hold his hand too.
Mack, do you think that CNS and the staff will name Barnett the starter if he remains the most consistent QB through fall camp and all 3 scrimmages? (Basically asking if you think CNS and staff would start a true freshman at QB if he's the best option).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
^ WMack reminded me of a question . . open for anyone: With Kiffin on the sidelines last season, who was the prime set of eyes in the pressbox for the offense? Was it Napier? Think I recall seeing Cristobal on the sidelines, so it probably wasn't him. Is Burton Burns usually on the sideline or upstairs?

Is there someone new to the staff on the offense side that might fill this role?
I remember seeing Napier on sidelines Burns is Always in the box.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Mack, do you think that CNS and the staff will name Barnett the starter if he remains the most consistent QB through fall camp and all 3 scrimmages? (Basically asking if you think CNS and staff would start a true freshman at QB if he's the best option).

My personal answer is no. I honestly don't think he has the gall to do it. It would be a bold move if he did. But tomorrow, if he gets a good portion of reps with the 1s then I'll know that I'm wrong. And in this case, I wouldn't mind being wrong.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Saban made a comment recently that the 8 most explosive plays against Bama's D were off of QB roll outs and scrambles. Likewise, we could use a QB that can throw accurately on the run, has the wheels to avoid sacks, and can pick up yardage when receivers aren't open. Playing a true freshman is enough to cause some anxiety, but if he is the best then that is who should start.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My personal answer is no. I honestly don't think he has the gall to do it. It would be a bold move if he did. But tomorrow, if he gets a good portion of reps with the 1s then I'll know that I'm wrong. And in this case, I wouldn't mind being wrong.
That's pretty much how I feel about it also. It would be a ballsy move to start Barnett. Thx for the info and thoughts on this topic..

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Also..not that it means anything, but George Whitfield has been on ESPN and twitter today saying that Blake Barnett is the best 18 year old QB he's ever been around period and thinks that he should be the guy to get the ball when we roll it out in a couple weeks.

On the other hand, Barnett's family just paid this man handsomely for private tutelage. Maybe that was part of the deal. LOL.

But yeah. Barnett has the look. We'll see how it works out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That was me. And here's what I know now. Since camp, Barnett has been the best (most consistent) guy and it's not even close. And that says a lot more about everyone than it does him, although his hard work should not be overlooked. Everyone else is consistently inconsistent. Heard some things this morning that almost made me throw up my breakfast. But again, the live bullets will come out tomorrow, and we'll know more then. Even though what they've been doing so far is basically some 7 of 7 stuff with 1s vs 1s, etc., it may be a situation where the light comes on when the lights come on (I hope so).

But here's the saving grace. There's a lot of talent on this team. Worst case scenario, this team is good enough to win 10 games in spite of inefficient QB play. But I watched Lane hold the hand of a QB last season and did everything except take the snaps for him and that worked out very well.

Disclaimer: that's not a knock on Blake. Kiffin installed a new system with intricacies someone in the system for 3 years would have no issue with, but not only was it his first year in the system, it was his first year starting and he had a ton of pressure; same situation that whoever the guy this year will be in. And whoever it is, I doubt seriously that Kiffin will come from on the sideline. He'll be there to hold his hand too.
I think what you are hearing means two things:

1. Barnett is a lot better and more prepared to play NOW than 99.0% of guys who are true freshman.

2. It's just not clicking with Coker, Cornwell and company

I've got full confidence if the coaches choose to play Barnett that CLK can spoon feed him the offense and protect him while we lean heavily on our running game.

As a matter fact, if it's anywhere close to Barnett truly being as prepared and ready as the others I prefer to see him get the call.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think what you are hearing means two things:

1. Barnett is a lot better and more prepared to play NOW than 99.0% of guys who are true freshman.

2. It's just not clicking with Coker, Cornwell and company

I've got full confidence if the coaches choose to play Barnett that CLK can spoon feed him the offense and protect him while we lean heavily on our running game.

As a matter fact, if it's anywhere close to Barnett truly being as prepared and ready as the others I prefer to see him get the call.
I'm with you 100% on that. If nothing else,it sets us up for not being in this position again (going into camp without an idea of who the starter is) for at least another couple of years (if he's successful)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In Mal's book, he says Saban told him the Sunday after the TAMU loss Manziel was the hardest player to game plan for he'd ever face.

While Blake told folks during the recruiting process he prefers to pass before he runs, I have to wonder if CNS sees that ability in Blake and decides to go with him. He saw how beneficial it is last season with Sims, and he's seen it hurt his own defense on numerous occasions.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Regardless of who is behind center, Saban and company will build a game plan around his ability and experience. I've said all along we'll be a run 1st team this year, and I've seen nothing that would change my mind. If Barnett's the guy, and that is a big if, we'll have a strategy and game plan to suit his abilities and/or deficiencies. I personally worry more about RB's being healthy because if we can't stay healthy there, we'll have to lean on an inexperienced arm at QB.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
At this point, and this is just my opinion, Cornwell and Barnett look like the two most viable options.

It's a scary thought to roll out a true freshman in the Jerry Dome against Wisconsin, but after seeing what CLK did last year with Blake I'm sold that no matter who starts we'll be okay.

The light just won't click for Coker it seems, and unless he's a gamer when the lights go on he's in a tough position now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
If Coker doesn't start, then his pro stock will be hurt, but if he can't get it done here, then he probably won't get it done in the NFL either (not that it would be a reason to let him start)...and other than the QBs, I don't think that CNS owes anyone an explanation when he chooses the starter--he has said that he will start the best player at each position to give the best chance to win THIS YEAR...that's good enough for me...but then, who am I...:rolleyes:

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Coker doesn't start, then his pro stock will be hurt, but if he can't get it done here, then he probably won't get it done in the NFL either (not that it would be a reason to let him start)...and other than the QBs, I don't think that CNS owes anyone an explanation when he chooses the starter--he has said that he will start the best player at each position to give the best chance to win THIS YEAR...that's good enough for me...but then, who am I...:rolleyes:

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
I wish Coker the best in football and life, but if he's not the qb this year at Bama his pro chances are slim to none.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I wish Coker the best in football and life, but if he's not the qb this year at Bama his pro chances are slim to none.
Without starting the best he can hope for is to be signed as a rookie free agent. That would even be a long shot. Likely he'd look at a career attempt in the CFL, IFL, or the AFL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It will be Cornwell, I predict. Or it could be a repeat of the 2011 opener against Kent State when both mccarron and Philip Sims got meaningful playing time. Once Sims fumbled near the goal line and surrendered a TD the competition was over.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
In Mal's book, he says Saban told him the Sunday after the TAMU loss Manziel was the hardest player to game plan for he'd ever face.

While Blake told folks during the recruiting process he prefers to pass before he runs, I have to wonder if CNS sees that ability in Blake and decides to go with him. He saw how beneficial it is last season with Sims, and he's seen it hurt his own defense on numerous occasions.
Great post! I also remember an article several years ago in which saban said we will likely go hunh and dual threat qbs if the rules don't change. As jess article on recruiting qbs says we are seeking athletic types now at qb.

Barnett is exactly that type more so than any of the others. We could run those zone read plays with pass options that are brutal to defend. Drake and Barnett in those situations sounds excellent to me. If the running game is what I think it will be; adding in an athletic qb would make us much harder to defend. Hate to say it but look at malzahn with marshall, they would get guys open by 10 yards cause or the run threat. Barnett would have easy reads. Obviously his current size could make running much tough, but he's mainly to keep them honest.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.