Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
"Fully healthy, Cornwell looks to upstage Coker and take the quarterback job this summer. He's had a productive spring, and Alabama's head coach Nick Saban consistently talks about Cornwell's leadership and knowledge of the system. He has a strong arm and possesses the mental toughness needed to run a Saban/Kiffin system. Cornwell had some bright moments, despite tossing two interceptions in Alabama's spring game. He completed 12 of 24 passes for 110 yards with a touchdown pass to wide receiver Parker Barrineau."

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/6/2/8708187/let-the-battle-begin-david-cornwell

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

IDK what will happen but I think last year proved Spring and Summer dont translate into the fall. Bateman shouldve been our qb if that was true. Either way Ill support whoever emerges the qb, and Im not pulling for anyone in particular. I just want whoever it is to win the job outright.:wink:

Last edited:

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Re: Link: Let The Battle Begin: David Cornwell (speaks very highly of his progress)

Cornwell will be the starter this season.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'd honestly rather go with a younger guy even if it means some rough spots this year instead of having to break in another new QB next year.

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA

Coker will start hoping he catches the Sims spark. If he falters then Alec Morris will take the job and hopefully hold it stable for two years. Cornwell did look good in A-day but is a RFF and not likely Nick will want to start with a freshman. But if Coker and Morris are flops all bets are off and Cornwell could be in a posture similar to Gary Hollingsworth. I hope they can redshirt Barnett. The latter needs a year in the weight room.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Coker will start hoping he catches the Sims spark. If he falters then Alec Morris will take the job and hopefully hold it stable for two years. Cornwell did look good in A-day but is a RFF and not likely Nick will want to start with a freshman. But if Coker and Morris are flops all bets are off and Cornwell could be in a posture similar to Gary Hollingsworth. I hope they can redshirt Barnett. The latter needs a year in the weight room.
In this scenario the season would be scratched out. So why not start the RSF.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I think Coker is easily the front runner. The others have incredible potential but they're just too young at the moment, IMO...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

There has yet to be any indication that Morris is the #2 guy at this point. From practice reports, Coker shared first team reps with Cornwell during the last week of spring practice. Morris appears to be the experienced backup that will hold the clipboard solely because of his time in the system.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

I'd honestly rather go with a younger guy even if it means some rough spots this year instead of having to break in another new QB next year.
With all due respect, I am not sure why you would want that. Why accept the rough spots? I want to compete for a championship every season, including this one. So you go with the very best you have, right now, for this season.

Next season will have a whole new set of worries that we will deal with at that time.

If we took your approach, Blake Sims would not have broken all of Alabama's single-season passing records.

And at the end of the day, I think the only one that matters, Coach Nick Saban, will likely ALWAYS do just what I said...."go with the very best you have, right now, for this season."

Last edited:

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

It's hard for me to see anyone other than Coker starting vs Wisconsin.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Right now Cornwell and Coker are going to battle out this summer and through the fall camp. May the best man win. Let's remember Sims didnt have a great camp last spring, and he suprised us in the fall camp. Let's see what happens between those two guys in the fall camp. I remember hearing the whispers last summer saying Blake looked real good... and now, I dont know if we're hearing anything about Coker and I anticpate we'll hear something on Cornwell and Coker from "sources" throughout the summer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

With all due respect, I am not sure why you would want that. Why accept the rough spots? I want to compete for a championship every season, including this one. So you go with the very best you have, right now, for this season.

Next season will have a whole new set of worries that we will deal with at that time.

If we took your approach, Blake Sims would not have broken all of Alabama's single-season passing records.

And at the end of the day, I think the only one that matters, Coach Nick Saban, will likely ALWAYS do just what I said...."go with the very best you have, right now, for this season."
If that was the case, Chris Black or someone else would have played over Christion Jones last year.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

If that was the case, Chris Black or someone else would have played over Christion Jones last year.
Ok so you think Chris Black was better prepared to help the team last year than Christion Jones was?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Ok so you think Chris Black was better prepared to help the team last year than Christion Jones was?
CJ's problem was that he had good highs but horrible lows. Ole Miss game was one of his worst days. Black may be more talented but it is anyone's guess at where he is at learning the system last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

CJ's problem was that he had good highs but horrible lows. Ole Miss game was one of his worst days. Black may be more talented but it is anyone's guess at where he is at learning the system last year.
I would have rather had his athleticism and talent on the field over whatever you call Christion's performance in 2014.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I would have rather had his athleticism and talent on the field over whatever you call Christion's performance in 2014.
Personally I like Black better, but Im not in the know of what the reasons why CJ stared over him. I think Black has a higher ceiling and not as a low floor as CJ, but CLK and CNS started CJ last year so I trust that decision.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.