Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As much as I'd hate to see it play out that way, you bring up a valid point & is a by-product of "The Process", when you have the kinda talent we have in T-Town right now..That kinda scenario is absolutely possible, but, if we win NC's I think we will be Happy Happy Happy..LOL
If Cornwell surpasses Coker and starts, then he will be gone in two years to the NFL. Barnett will not leave.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
When was the last time that bama had a qb forgo his senior year? AJ was here 5 years. My point is if barnet is as good as advertised then why would he stick around for 3 years on the bench when he could start on a major program elsewhere?

Also to the notion to him beating an incumbent Cornwell next year. Unless Cornwell is like Anthony Jennings I highly doubt we have a qb battle next year that has a serious chance of changing starters.

So Who really knows where this goes? 3 weeks to really know.
The Scout said tha Barnett is the best "18 YEAR-OLD" he's seen. There is a big gap to fill as far as size and skill to be the best "20 YEAR-OLD" QB in the NCAA game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Coker will start, with Cornwell as a "Be ready" back up. I think Barnett will redshirt, for the simple reason of letting him workout, eat right, and gain a little weight.
I'll admit, I've always thought Bateman was an incredible prospect, but I'm not at practice.
Morris? I know he has a cannon. If there's a surprise in this whole scenario, it might be him.
I'll let you all know as soon as I do, which will be when the game starts against Wisconsin..
Right now...it's all speculation, and that's probably what Coach Saban wants :)...
Regardless, I think we'll be o.k..
sip

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think Coker will start, with Cornwell as a "Be ready" back up. I think Barnett will redshirt, for the simple reason of letting him workout, eat right, and gain a little weight.
I'll admit, I've always thought Bateman was an incredible prospect, but I'm not at practice.
Morris? I know he has a cannon. If there's a surprise in this whole scenario, it might be him.
I'll let you all know as soon as I do, which will be when the game starts against Wisconsin..
Right now...it's all speculation, and that's probably what Coach Saban wants :)...
Regardless, I think we'll be o.k..
sip
Is it "panic time" yet? I just read that Steve Spurrier has the same problem at USC -- none of his four QB's stood out in their scrimmage. His statement: we're going to look at film, evaluate and then cut back to two QB's who will get the majority of reps.

Hmm...I think I've heard that somewhere else this weekend.

We will be fine...with whomever starts...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Is it "panic time" yet? I just read that Steve Spurrier has the same problem at USC -- none of his four QB's stood out in their scrimmage. His statement: we're going to look at film, evaluate and then cut back to two QB's who will get the majority of reps.

Hmm...I think I've heard that somewhere else this weekend.

We will be fine...with whomever starts...
Amen :)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I actually think Coker will start. CLK will find ways for him to be successful like all good coaches do.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I actually think Coker will start. CLK will find ways for him to be successful like all good coaches do.
This is also how I felt all along. Sure, it seems like he hasn't (yet) emerged into that early round NFL talent some people have talked about, and perhaps he won't even emerge as a dominant college quarterback either. But, that's just not required of the position at Alabama. Yes, he's making some mistakes, but so is everyone else, heck I remember AJ throwing more interceptions and what not in scrimmages/A-Day than he did in the regular season.

He's the most experienced guy, he's somewhat proven, both Jimbo and Saban ran him out there and let him play on contenders, in relatively meaningful situations (blowouts yes, but not meaningless games). There's no reason to believe he'd turn into a complete mess, because we've seen he can do some of the basic things required of him. As talented as Cornwell and Barnett may be, they aren't nearly as proven or experienced and remain far more of an unknown.

My prediction is Coker starts, with Cornwell as a close second (perhaps being given some meaningful snaps) but if Coker doesn't have major trouble I think he's the guy. Barnett redshirts, and I expect to see a QB battle between Cornwell and Barnett next year. I still think Morris basically provides depth, may be something changes and he flips the switch but otherwise I think he's mainly there in case things go wrong.

Last edited:

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Re: Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...k

I think so to, actually hope this is the way it shakes out. It also gives Blake B a legitimate shot at starting next year without competing with an incumbent.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

I think so to, actually hope this is the way it shakes out. It also gives Blake B a legitimate shot at starting next year without competing with an incumbent.
This is also how I felt all along. Sure, it seems like he hasn't (yet) emerged into that early round NFL talent some people have talked about, and perhaps he won't even emerge as a dominant college quarterback either. But, that's just not required of the position at Alabama. Yes, he's making some mistakes, but so is everyone else, heck I remember AJ throwing more interceptions and what not in scrimmages/A-Day than he did in the regular season.

He's the most experienced guy, he's somewhat proven, both Jimbo and Saban ran him out there and let him play on contenders, in relatively meaningful situations (blowouts yes, but not meaningless games). There's no reason to believe he'd turn into a complete mess, because we've seen he can do some of the basic things required of him. As talented as Cornwell and Barnett may be, they aren't nearly as proven or experienced and remain far more of an unknown.

My prediction is Coker starts, with Cornwell as a close second (perhaps being given some meaningful snaps) but if Coker doesn't have major trouble I think he's the guy. Barnett redshirts, and I expect to see a QB battle between Cornwell and Barnett next year. I still think Morris basically provides depth, may be something changes and he flips the switch but otherwise I think he's mainly there in case things go wrong.
First this is my first multi-quote so I'm feeling good about that :). In a perfect world everything will work out to keep 3 maybe 4 QB's happy with no transfers. I could easily be wrong, but I don't think CNS or CLK see it that way. They are going to put #1 out there and for at least this year have plenty of plan B's with the apparent depth we have. 2016 is a whole different year, and they will treat it exactly that way if need be.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I bet that someone will start at QB and it may even be a quarterback. :D

I mean Ingram took the first snap at QB in 2009 and that turned out fine!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

!
Haha...you said what I'm thinking right now!

I can say that I've have been "high" on each qb at some point...Bateman and then it was Coker (thought he would start last year and this year) and then when Coker struggled I moved on to the possiblity of it maybe being Corwell this year...but now I'm really excited to hear Barnett may be more prepared as a freshman than anybody else thought.

Only person I've never really thought would be a star in all this is Morris.

So it'll probably be Morris on Sept. 5. :biggrin: How do y'all like that extrapolation?!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I mean Ingram took the first snap at QB in 2009 and that turned out fine!
Ronnie Clark did play some QB at Calera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Really surprised that no one has emerged as the front-runner at this point, but then again if someone has would we know about it?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Ronnie Clark did play some QB at Calera.

Didn't he also play some LB?

Let's start the campaign for Alabamas' first Butkus AND OBrien award winner. In the same season!

Heisman Trophy? We don't need no stinkin' Heisman Trophy. :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Really surprised that no one has emerged as the front-runner at this point, but then again if someone has would we know about it?
Word would leak out from folks. It would also most likely seem noticeable during the media viewing period.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think there may be another scenario at play possibly...

I think they start the season with Coker and let him settle into the job with a relatively short leash. Pencil in Morris as the backup to Coker. If Coker plays well then this is how we will finish season with Morris getting some reps in mop up or runaway games. Cornwell and Barnett continue to develop in practice during season for the right to move to starter if Coker hits the skids or season falls apart. At that point we may finish season with 2 QBS for really heated spring competition. This seems like least disruptive course without necessarily giving anything up.

From everything I have read here, this competition is not really about physical tools or lack thereof by each QB but rather the decision making and intangibles all of which have very little experience with. Everyone seems to know that Barnett is the QB of the future but probably not the QB of Now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think there may be another scenario at play possibly...

I think they start the season with Coker and let him settle into the job with a relatively short leash. Pencil in Morris as the backup to Coker. If Coker plays well then this is how we will finish season with Morris getting some reps in mop up or runaway games. Cornwell and Barnett continue to develop in practice during season for the right to move to starter if Coker hits the skids or season falls apart. At that point we may finish season with 2 QBS for really heated spring competition. This seems like least disruptive course without necessarily giving anything up.

From everything I have read here, this competition is not really about physical tools or lack thereof by each QB but rather the decision making and intangibles all of which have very little experience with. Everyone seems to know that Barnett is the QB of the future but probably not the QB of Now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Great post and in a perfect world Coker settles in and leads us to a SEC and/or NC this year and then next spring Cornwell and Barnett battle it out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is basically going exactly like 2011 and 2014. It will probably seem unsolved going into the opening game. It will probably be more like 2014 than 2011. The staff will have to commit to a guy because of the quality of the opponent. The other guy will be "on the ready" but I doubt he plays unless it goes poorly.

That is the bad part of neutral site openers. We could probably use a Kent State to figure it out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.