Link: Let The QB Battle Begin (and other Fall Camp discussion)...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I seem to remember John Parker Wilson winning the starting spot because of his hard work, endless hours watching film and etc. I haven't seen that mentioned here so I'll throw into the experience/talent debate the "who is working the hardest" to become the best. Coach can see this just like with JPW.
When Saban arrived, JPW already had a year as a starter. He also was the only upperclassman at the position.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm not suggesting it's the case this season, but I can imagine a situation where there isn't clear starter. Say for example, one quarterback has a killer two minute game while the other one has better success with long sustained drives (perhaps by being a better runner himself.)

In that situation, putting the best talent on the field would depend on how the game is going at the time... do we need a quick score or would it be better to grind out the clock.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
Honestly, the debates about the past quarterback is a moot point. What happened last year was a unique situation. CNS and others were expecting Coker to take over the starting job and then Sims just woke up and took the world by storm... Thats not a knock on Coker or anything... Coker got some significant playing time last year and it'll be a huge advantage for him coming into the fall camp. We will be fine with Coker or Cornwell... or Bateman. Coker improved throughout the season and in the offseason and clearly.. Cornwell is fighting him to the final and I dont think we'll know the starter until the day of the game. Even then, we still won't know for sure. Personally, I rather Barnett to sit this season and learn from the guy, but I don't think that will happen, because Cornwell and Barnett will get some experience in the game this year and it'll help them next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
those are encouraging notes; I do however think that the worry with Coker is when the rush comes, recognition, and progressions. 7 on 7 he looks great. I hope he does great; guess the scrimmages in camp will be the defining moments.
I started paying attention to Coker when he was at FSU, after the rumors started of his transferring to Alabama. He clearly had potential, but he also has room for improvement. I thought he'd come in and take over the job, I felt that was the plan, but I also found myself defending Sims a lot vs. the people that were overplaying Coker's abilities. Yes, Sims had a couple shaky A-Days, but on the field his numbers were actually a bit better than Coker's. However! Now I'm on the other side, Coker showed development and improvement, if that was the case again then I think he'll be a good starter.

I think a lot of people forget Coker had a season ending injury in 2013 and this had to have hurt his development a bit. He had to kind of tie rehab to adjusting to a new school and coordinator, he just didn't make that leap as cleanly as I guess everyone might have liked. However, just compare these:
2014 Completion %: 64.4 Yards: 403 TDs:4 INT:0 SACKS:3
2013 Completion %: 50.0 Yards: 250 TDs:0 INT:1 SACKS:5

That's across the board improvement. I fail to see why people are worried about him. Also, if you want to see how solid those stats are, that's a better season leading up to starting than AJ, Blake or GMacc had. Only GMac had a better completion percentage, but he only attempted 11 passes (one of those an INT), Coker threw for more yards, more TDs, and had a good rating.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think Saban would ever do that. He might say he would, but I doubt it. I haven't seen many successful two QB systems. There are a few exceptions, but most of the time when you play two, it's because you don't have one. QB is a position that relays on leadership and confidence, and it's hard to have either of these if you're not out there all the time.

I personally don't think we're gonna have this problem. From what I've heard, Coker had a very good summer and is supposedly much improved. I've watched a few practice videos, and while I realize that 15 minutes of glorified warm ups means almost nothing, he looks more comfortable and more consistent. His release seems to have tightened up considerably as well. Hopefully, he can carry it over to the scrimmage next Saturday. If he can't get it done, I'm sure we can find someone that will.
Well, he did it at LSU and also we started out that way AJ's first year. I do get the impression he doesn't like it at all...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well, he did it at LSU and also we started out that way AJ's first year. I do get the impression he doesn't like it at all...
I don't think he does either. Coach Saban has the old school NFL mentality where one QB plays and plays late into games even when winning by big margins in some cases. I don't see a platoon situation past the 1st or 2nd game if at all.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I certainly hope you are correct; hard not to worry, that's what fans do!
I started paying attention to Coker when he was at FSU, after the rumors started of his transferring to Alabama. He clearly had potential, but he also has room for improvement. I thought he'd come in and take over the job, I felt that was the plan, but I also found myself defending Sims a lot vs. the people that were overplaying Coker's abilities. Yes, Sims had a couple shaky A-Days, but on the field his numbers were actually a bit better than Coker's. However! Now I'm on the other side, Coker showed development and improvement, if that was the case again then I think he'll be a good starter.

I think a lot of people forget Coker had a season ending injury in 2013 and this had to have hurt his development a bit. He had to kind of tie rehab to adjusting to a new school and coordinator, he just didn't make that leap as cleanly as I guess everyone might have liked. However, just compare these:
2014 Completion %: 64.4 Yards: 403 TDs:4 INT:0 SACKS:3
2013 Completion %: 50.0 Yards: 250 TDs:0 INT:1 SACKS:5

That's across the board improvement. I fail to see why people are worried about him. Also, if you want to see how solid those stats are, that's a better season leading up to starting than AJ, Blake or GMacc had. Only GMac had a better completion percentage, but he only attempted 11 passes (one of those an INT), Coker threw for more yards, more TDs, and had a good rating.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
You indirectly brought Winston into the discussion by making the crack " isn't Coker like a 10th year senior". Really his two real opportunities to take a job were against Winston and Blake sims, and to act like anyone could've beaten either out is just lunacy. Coker has had tough competition.

I'm not going to argue the " if it's close then the tie should go to the younger guy" argument because ever since that story about Cornwell taking 1st string snaps during the second scrimmage a lot of people are putting all their chips on that argument and aren't budging. So it's almost pointless to try to sway people on that point. But weren't Blake and jake close last year??? Irony

I really don't have a side in this argument because the sims vs mccaron and the jake vs Blake discussions really turned ugly amongst fans so I don't think I will overly care who ultimately wins as long as they get CNS and clk's graces. If you are asking for my prediction I would say jake only because I don't see tons of separation either way and CNS in the past has gone with the upperclassman. But if Cornwell, Barnett, or bobby joe wins the job I'm still going to support them like I would support Coker if he wins the job, and I'm not going to be upset at all if my prediction is totally wrong
Retweet

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA
The QB start is Coker's to lose. I believe Morris is right behind Coker with Barnwell a close third. Ideally, Coker starts, we play well enough for both Morris and Barnwell to get meaningful snaps so we can avoid
this every year "who starts at QB". I believe CNS prefers to redshirt Barnett. We have a good history of QB's playing all year without injury; let's hope that streak continues.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The QB start is Coker's to lose. I believe Morris is right behind Coker with Barnwell a close third. Ideally, Coker starts, we play well enough for both Morris and Barnwell to get meaningful snaps so we can avoid
this every year "who starts at QB". I believe CNS prefers to redshirt Barnett. We have a good history of QB's playing all year without injury; let's hope that streak continues.
I haven't heard of Barnwell before. Good to know we have another QB on the roster..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I haven't heard of Barnwell before. Good to know we have another QB on the roster..

we have perfected the cloning technique and have used the DNA of Cornwell and Barnett to create a super QB. We will next create a super receiver name Coopones and a runningback named RichIngcey.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
we have perfected the cloning technique and have used the DNA of Cornwell and Barnett to create a super QB. We will next create a super receiver name Coopones and a runningback named RichIngcey.
I would prefer you make an Alexeldonry....if we are making requests...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.