Why our country is screwed - Disney imports Indians to replace US workers

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is extremely sad.
But it isn't just Disney, it's American companies as well. I can't fault them though. It is capitalism at its best/worst.
Sure you can - they aren't slaves to capitalism - they can work ethically and morally. If only Disney understood this, but alas, all they understand is the almighty dollar.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That's why I can't blame them. It's all they know. That's the downside of this system. It's been this way since the beginning.
You miss the point - there are plenty of companies that value their employees and act ethically - they work in the same system and aren't treating them like Disney. It's not the system, it's choosing to let profits mean more than people.

You miss the point - there are plenty of companies that value their employees and act ethically - they work in the same system and aren't treating them like Disney. It's not the system, it's choosing to let profits mean more than people.
It is the system. Just because someone manipulates differently than someone else doesn't mean it isn't the system. It's all about profit either way. Nobody goes into business just to give someone a job. They are looking to make profit. That's the fault of capitalism. If it wasn't mom and pop stores would make as much as Wal Mart, wait, that's a form of communism.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is the system. Just because someone manipulates differently than someone else doesn't mean it isn't the system. It's all about profit either way. Nobody goes into business just to give someone a job. They are looking to make profit. That's the fault of capitalism. If it wasn't mom and pop stores would make as much as Wal Mart, wait, that's a form of communism.
Do you own your own business?

I do, and yes, it's about making money - but the only options are NOT 'starting a business just to give someone a job' or 'do whatever it takes to maximize your profits'. I run my businesses ethically and take care of ALL employees - even at my own expense some times. And it's not just me - there are TONS of examples of companies who are thriving while not worrying about maximizing profit at all costs - companies such as Costco as opposed to Sam's / Walmart.

Business owners make decisions all the time that balance profit vs what they feel is ethically or orally right. Thankfully not all are like you seem to assume - forced by 'the system' to make choices many of us would simply refuse to make.

Do you own your own business?

I do, and yes, it's about making money - but the only options are NOT 'starting a business just to give someone a job' or 'do whatever it takes to maximize your profits'. I run my businesses ethically and take care of ALL employees - even at my own expense some times. And it's not just me - there are TONS of examples of companies who are thriving while not worrying about maximizing profit at all costs - companies such as Costco as opposed to Sam's / Walmart.

Business owners make decisions all the time that balance profit vs what they feel is ethically or orally right. Thankfully not all are like you seem to assume - forced by 'the system' to make choices many of us would simply refuse to make.
Aren't you manipulating the system how you want to though? What makes Disney unethical doing this? Of course, we don't like it, but that doesn't necessarily make it unethical. No I don't own a business and I have no drive to want to own a business, too much of a headache. CEOs/business owners make decisions that I wouldn't want to make, but they do so in the best interest of their company, supposedly. Now, if they are robbing customers blindly without warning, now I see were ethics come into play, but that's just me. I'm probably wrong though.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
How about no more H- visas? You need more workers? Train an American citizen to do the job!

Add Seebell Apartments to the list of those who do the right thing even to the detriment of the bottom line.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Having to train your replacement in that situation is the epitome of adding insult to injury. It's also a pretty good indication that the visa applicant isn't there to do a job Americans "can't or won't do".

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
How about no more H- visas? You need more workers? Train an American citizen to do the job!

Add Seebell Apartments to the list of those who do the right thing even to the detriment of the bottom line.
H-2B visas can be used successfully. On Maryland's eastern shore H-2Bs are used by the seafood industry to supply workers during the summer months to pick crabmeat. American workers no longer want to perform the tedious and repetitive work. At the end of the summer the workers go back to Mexico knowing that next summer they will be able to return again for a few months. Not sure how much per hour it would take to get Americans to do it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Let's not forget that it's not just businesses doing this. It's in sports as well, both professional and collegiate.

Yes, even our college recruiters are going to foreign lands and finding a way to bring illegal aliens to our Universities and offer them scholarships so that they can play on our sports teams.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/athletic-scholarships-foreign-overseas-athletes.htm
All for the sake of winning more games. Imo when we let them attend our institutions of higher learning so that they can contribute to our sports teams, we are indeed teaching them. We're teaching them that it's OK to cheat.

Yes, our country is indeed "screwed".

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Let's not forget that it's not just businesses doing this. It's in sports as well, both professional and collegiate.

Yes, even our college recruiters are going to foreign lands and finding a way to bring illegal aliens to our Universities and offer them scholarships so that they can play on our sports teams.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/athletic-scholarships-foreign-overseas-athletes.htm
All for the sake of winning more games. Imo when we let them attend our institutions of higher learning so that they can contribute to our sports teams, we are indeed teaching them. We're teaching them that it's OK to cheat.

Yes, our country is indeed "screwed".
so we shouldn't haven give Jessie Williams a Scholarship? I think he did pretty well here

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You say that but

do you have an in house HR team or do you outsource that to Paychex, ADP or one of those companies

Do you have an in house accountant or outsource that? How about Janitorial staff, or legal? If you don't you are doing exactly what Disney did, outsourcing it, difference is you probably always did so never had to cut anyone, you also (I assume) don't have 70K employees

IT is simply the next thing in line that companies are learning are not core to their business. I have these conversations daily with CIO's, CTO's and CEO's, "we are in the business of producing widgets, not maintaining IT systems" is something I hear often and it is accelerating. Whether it is outsourcing, the Cloud or other these new models are here to stay.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I'm not sure it's a capitalism issue -- that's a mighty big brushstroke in my opinion. More specifically, arms-length, hyper-fractured ownership of a company may be the core issue. In other words, when the bulk of a company's ownership doesn't work at the company, this may be a typical result.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
H-2B visas can be used successfully. On Maryland's eastern shore H-2Bs are used by the seafood industry to supply workers during the summer months to pick crabmeat. American workers no longer want to perform the tedious and repetitive work. At the end of the summer the workers go back to Mexico knowing that next summer they will be able to return again for a few months. Not sure how much per hour it would take to get Americans to do it.
Thanks Bamaro. Googled Eastern Shore a little bit.

http://www.myeasternshoremd.com/news/kent_county/article_0fd63c5e-ca01-5068-a593-c516b3b8559a.html

Brooks said J.M. Clayton has only handful of local workers and won’t have the workforce required to process the crabs that come in without H-2B workers. J.M. Clayton will sell what it can on the live market, as opposed to picking and canning the meat, but that only sells so many crabs, he said.
The U.S. departments of Labor and Homeland Security stopped processing H-2B applications after a ruling from a U.S. District Court in Florida in Perez v. Perez, which found that the Department of Labor lacks the sole authority to administer the H-2B visa program.
Seafood packers won’t be the only industry effected by the halt on H-2B application processing. The landscape and hospitality industries could also be effected by the H-2B visa program shutdown, as they also heavily rely on seasonal foreign workers.

I know in the 1960s my brother and many other college students went to Alaska to work in the canneries. I suspect the prevailing wage has a lot to do with the inability to find workers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.