How Bama Makes Them Quit.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I have heard alot of this getting back to making the other team quit. I have felt this has been aimed a little more at the defense. Maybe I'm reading to much into some comments, but that is my perception. The defense doesn't make people quit in my opinion, the offense does. Bama needs to make the opposing defense quit. You do that with punishing physical play. I have read the stories about more up tempo stuff, and that's fine. You can play fast and still be physical. I think that might actually be more effective to quickly pound a team over and over. The way that could wear down a defense could be scary.

Bama has the potential to have the kind of versatility on the field to do that. Henry, Drake, Harris, and Scarborough can be used in interesting combos, and Bo will be back this year much like E.J. was last year. Bo and Drake can line up anywhere giving you formation flexibility that will allow you to keep the same group of players on the field but be able to run a wide range of formations. That would make it easier to keep a defensive unit on the field and wear them down and put them in situation where they have nickel or dime personnel on the field and are faced with a power running formation, or be caught in a base defense with Drake and Bo being locked up with LB's that don't stand a chance. Henry is big enough to run the ball or play an H-Back type of roll out of a certain formation. I don't like the HUNH but I have finally given in, and want CNS and CLK to bury them at their own game. I bet slowing down will get another look if Bama ran an Oregon type pace with the level of athlete Bama has.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Remember Bama Game against LSU and Zach Mett?

I respectfully disagree. Defense will force turnovers, take away the opportunites to score the ball, and giving offense more opportunites to pile up points on the opposing team.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
When I think of making the other team quit, I think of it in terms of line play. If our OL can make opposing DL's and LBs quit, it opens up huge running lanes which leads to DBs having to tackle Henry or LBs having to chase down Drake. Eventually, the back 7 quits too.

Conversely, if our DL can make opposing OLs quit, linemen and LBs can get more pressure on the QB and stop running plays for negative yards. Negative runs and pressured QBs generally lead to mistakes and turnovers. Hard to win games when you make mistakes against Bama.

With the above as context, I think teams that control the ball on sustained drives have a much greater chance to make opposing lines quit. Long drives allow our OL to continually pound opposing DLs and allows our DL to have fresh legs with which to attack the opposing OL. While I think the no-huddle offense is useful in certain game scenarios, if the aim is make the other team quit your best bet is a more typical pro-style offense that has sustained drives.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
it's both offense and defense. even special teams. after being plowed by an offensive line, ur not gonna have anything left at times. keep getting hit by a strong defense, ur not going to be as hard to go down. as far as special teams. watch the ATM game and focus on the returner and Reuben Foster.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Regarding Bo, with this being his 3rd significant injury, I wouldn't chance it personally. But I know how bad he wants to be out there. And unless we're within striking distance of a playoff shot, I wouldn't rush him Back and waste a year

Last edited:

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

I respectfully disagree. Defense will force turnovers, take away the opportunites to score the ball, and giving offense more opportunites to pile up points on the opposing team.
But turnovers are not the result of making an opponent quit. They are caused by the mistake of an opponent or a player just making a great play. Defensive lines can punish offenses, but not in the same way an OL can on a drive where play after play they pound the ball down the defenses throat. It is much harder for a defensive linemen to keep his energy level and concentration up. The offensive line knows where the play is going and always has a physical advantage from that fact. That's one of the reasons why defensive lines sub and OL's don't.

CBag4Bama

1st Team
Sep 22, 2002
Birmingham, AL
The first evidence I saw of "make them quit" was the Clemson game in 2008. Upchurch was carrying the ball and giving harder hits than he was taking. That was when I knew we were a different team. We've missed that fire for a few seasons.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Regarding Bo, with this being his 3rd significant injury, I wouldn't chance it personally. But I know his bad he wants to be out there. And unless we're within striking distance of a playoff shot, I wouldn't rush him Back and waste a year
I totally agree. There is no reason to rush him back to the field. He will have his chance!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The first evidence I saw of "make them quit" was the Clemson game in 2008. Upchurch was carrying the ball and giving harder hits than he was taking. That was when I knew we were a different team. We've missed that fire for a few seasons.
Agreed on Clemson. IIRC, we made the SI cover and in the article Saban addresses the team right before the game starts and tells the team that the OL and DL needs to whip Clemson's and then says "lets go make their a** quit" and that is exactly what we did. It starts upfront on both sides of the ball IMO.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Yep, that was the game. Bama came out imposing in every way in 2008.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

I actually felt bad for him we he dragged himself off the field like a paralyzed zombie.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The o line play in the ND game was unreal...I know a guy who played o line at Indiana and his dad at Purdue...both big Irish fans and he told me his dad was at the game and texted him in the first quarter that it was the best o line he'd ever seen and that the game was already over

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The o line play in the ND game was unreal...I know a guy who played o line at Indiana and his dad at Purdue...both big Irish fans and he told me his dad was at the game and texted him in the first quarter that it was the best o line he'd ever seen and that the game was already over
We may not ever see an O-line like that again. Musburger was almost as complimentary of them as he was of Katherine Webb.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It also comes down to the style of player out there. High school is infected with the hurry up offense. The lineman dive at feet and the coaches are far more concerned with them getting up to get ready for the next play than they are physically manhandling the guy opposite them. Defensive players have to be more finesse and lighter to chase down the little guys with the ball. You don't see many successful wing t, wishbone, or I formation high school teams any more, so it's only logical that the players would be more finesse minded as well.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.