Which Tide player made the biggest impression on you as a physical specimen?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Doesn't have to be the biggest, or the most rocked up or the scariest. Just the guy that when you first saw him, live or on TV, you just KNEW that he was one helluva football player?

Mine is Biscuit. Sure he came in with a ton of fanfare.......on both sides of the ball, but I just knew he was gonna be the real deal. And boy, was he ever? I especially loved seeing him running down QB's or even RB's from behind.

I always thought Coach Perkins would let him have a few carries towards the end of his career, kinda as a reward because he was highly touted as a RB out of HS. LB was his spot though.

Last edited:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Doesn't have to be the biggest, or the most rocked up or the scariest. Just the guy that when you first saw him, live or on TV, you just KNEW that he was one helluva football player?

Mine is Biscuit. Sure he came in with a ton of fanfare.......on both sides of the ball, but I just knew[/B he was gonna be the real deal. And boy, was he ever? I especially loved seeing him running down QB's or even RB's from behind.

I always thought Coach Perkins would let him have a few carries towards the end of his career, kinda as a reward because he was highly touted as a RB out of HS. LB was his spot though.

Julio Jones. One of the best players the University of Alabama has ever had. He has dominated on every level of the game and is a top 5 reciever in the NFL today. Being from Mobile, I first saw him on the local news when he was at Foley high-school.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Jon Hand. I stood near him on the field years ago. He looked as big as a house to me at the time.
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking but it is what came to my mind.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
Trent Richardson. I remember walking next to him on campus in 2010. His quads were so big it was like he had to swing his legs outward to keep them from hitting each other.

Also I remember seeing A'Shawn on the sideline during his freshman year and thinking, hey, that guy looks old enough to be playing in the NFL!

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Julio and Reuban Foster, that kids highlight tape was incredible, so happy to have another couple years with that beast

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Tony Nathan. I saw him in a Christmas basketball tournament after Woodlawn High School had finished their football season. After seeing what he did on the football field and then watch him absolutely out class players on the court, I knew he was going to be a special player.

I still remember seeing him avoid a foul in a loose ball scramble by jumping over an opponent that just come up with the ball. Must have done a four foot vertical with about two steps to react. My jaw almost hit the floor.

And for a six foot 190 pound high school kid, he was a specimen.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Joe King, offensive lineman from the mid-80s. At a time when Bama's linemen were in the 250-27- range, Joe arrived on campus at around 6' 7" and 300+... no fat. Stood next to him on the field... whoa ! Massive and pretty much cut. Unfortunately, Joe had personal issues that kept him from reaching his potential.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Wayne Trimble. Trimble was 6'3 205 lbs big for a QB in the early to mid 60's. Had a cannon for an arm and was a terror on the QB keeper. Unfortunately he was a sophomore when Namath was a senior, a junior when Sloan was a senior and a senior when Stabler was a junior. He could have started for any team in the SEC except Alabama, bad timing.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I recall Saleem Rasheed being pretty imposing in the time I was at the capstone. Julio is another good one.

The most shocking one was Richardson. I didn't have faces and names together yet when shown this picture of some of the 2009 freshmen, so I assumed Richardson was Nico Johnson since he was built more like a LB.

This was BEFORE coach Cochran got a hold of him....

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Jon Hand. I stood near him on the field years ago. He looked as big as a house to me at the time.
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking but it is what came to my mind.
Yeah. My freshman year I was coming out of the Ferguson Post Office just as he was coming in, and for a second I thought we were having a solar eclipse.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Wayne Trimble. Trimble was 6'3 205 lbs big for a QB in the early to mid 60's. Had a cannon for an arm and was a terror on the QB keeper. Unfortunately he was a sophomore when Namath was a senior, a junior when Sloan was a senior and a senior when Stabler was a junior. He could have started for any team in the SEC except Alabama, bad timing.
Good call, JERIII. '66 was probably Wayne's best year, when he was a senior. Coach used him as QB in a couple of games, racking up 7 TD passes and 1 rushing. I believe he played rb his soph and jr year.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
When Keith McCants ran onto the field out of the locker room, he looked like a freak. But I also remember standing next to Biscuit and thinking he looked like a superhero. But I agree Jon Hand and Joe King were the most intimidating to look at. Jon Hand played basketball in HS; he looked mammoth in the playoffs in Tuscaloosa; so big compared to everybody else.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good call, JERIII. '66 was probably Wayne's best year, when he was a senior. Coach used him as QB in a couple of games, racking up 7 TD passes and 1 rushing. I believe he played rb his soph and jr year.
I think you are right about him playing RB his first two years, also CPB tried him at DB some.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I recall Saleem Rasheed being pretty imposing in the time I was at the capstone. Julio is another good one.

The most shocking one was Richardson. I didn't have faces and names together yet when shown this picture of some of the 2009 freshmen, so I assumed Richardson was Nico Johnson since he was built more like a LB.

This was BEFORE coach Cochran got a hold of him....
I agree about Saleem. I had class with him. Cool guy too. It was fun listening to him talk about his time at the Niners.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.