Which Tide player made the biggest impression on you as a physical specimen?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Players in previous eras simply did not have impressive physiques by today's standards. Chris Spielman, for instance, was a dominant football player in his generation, but he looks nothing like players today. In fact, he looks more impressive today than he did as a player, and he is my age.

For Alabama players, I would have to go with Trent.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Players in previous eras simply did not have impressive physiques by today's standards. Chris Spielman, for instance, was a dominant football player in his generation, but he looks nothing like players today. In fact, he looks more impressive today than he did as a player, and he is my age.

For Alabama players, I would have to go with Trent.
Big I was in Columbus in 2001 and OSU had lost the game and I think it was Spielman doing a live radio post game call in show. A caller was complaining about the QB and long story short, Spielman told him "Why don't you finish that 12 pack and come on down here and we will settle this out back." Classic.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wesley Britt.

I'm 6'1" which I consider taller than average and that has been my experience throughout life. More often than not, I'm taller than everyone else in the room, even though there are millions of folks in the world who are taller. Especially athletes. I went to the 2003 South Florida game, which was Mike Shula's first as a HC, and Alabama's last at Legion Field. As you all know, Alabama's players always entered the field from the corner of the end zone (can't remember which one) and if you go down to the chain link fence, you're right next to them as they walk out. As most of the players filed out, I remembered how athletic they all looked, but I wasn't overwhelmed by their size because I was a fairly big guy myself. Then Wesley Britt walks out. I was stunned. Not only did he tower over me, but he looked solid as granite with nary an ounce of fat on him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i finally got to see henry run in person this past season at the seccg. i knew he was fast, but seeing it in person was super impressive.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Keith McCants at the time was a physical freak and looked incredible in his uniform. The guy could play too but most of us know how his story has gone since his football days.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I recall Saleem Rasheed being pretty imposing in the time I was at the capstone. Julio is another good one.

The most shocking one was Richardson. I didn't have faces and names together yet when shown this picture of some of the 2009 freshmen, so I assumed Richardson was Nico Johnson since he was built more like a LB.

This was BEFORE coach Cochran got a hold of him....

That's Trent???

And, as you say, b/f Coach Cochran got a hold of him?

Good Lord.

Why do I even bother working out...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
All kinds of ways, and eras, you can look at this... I met Kenny Stabler in 2000 and could not believe what a big man he was; In 2007 I had the privilege of watching Andre Smith from the sideline and could not believe his athleticism...But I would have to go with Julio.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I loved the springtime at the Rec Center in the mid 80s. The senior football players who had no eligibility left would come play basketball. Seeing Biscuit up close and watching someone that big run THAT fast was jaw dropping.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Derrick Henry. Never seen someone 240+ run so dang fast.

Then Julio was a beast too.

And speaking of non-impressed kids, I was flying from DFW to Atlanta back at the end of April and Aaron Murray was behind me in line to board and I had no clue. I heard some woman behind me pitching a fit over him and taking her picture with him when I noticed it was him. For them to list him at 6'1" is very funny. I'm 6' and he had to look up to me to talk when we just started chatting about the long line to board and just general chit chat (I've never been one to be star struck). Dude is about 5'10" on a good day......lol. Gotta say he wasn't a stuck up cat though.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Wayne Trimble. Trimble was 6'3 205 lbs big for a QB in the early to mid 60's. Had a cannon for an arm and was a terror on the QB keeper. Unfortunately he was a sophomore when Namath was a senior, a junior when Sloan was a senior and a senior when Stabler was a junior. He could have started for any team in the SEC except Alabama, bad timing.
He came in with others from a very good Cullman High School team. Wasn't Les Kelly (Kelley) one of those.

To me Mr. Fluker was the most imposing physical specimen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.