Does Coach Saban need to have a camp in Michigan and Ohio and go shirtless?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like the fact that he got in there and had fun with the kids. Different kind of coach than Meyer or Saban, and that is fine by me.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, Michigan really doesn't have anything we'd want. And, after all this recruiting by Harbaugh, Michigan is still Michigan (I'm talking about the environment, winters, etc, NOT its football history). Not sure it's going to really help him that much. But we'll see.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Well, Michigan really doesn't have anything we'd want. And, after all this recruiting by Harbaugh, Michigan is still Michigan (I'm talking about the environment, winters, etc, NOT its football history). Not sure it's going to really help him that much. But we'll see.
I can't think of a single recruit who would not be impressed by what Michigan has to offer. The big house and facilities are very impressive, the school is great, and Ann Arbor is an awesome town. I think the cold vs heat is way overblown.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can't think of a single recruit who would not be impressed by what Michigan has to offer. The big house and facilities are very impressive, the school is great, and Ann Arbor is an awesome town. I think the cold vs heat is way overblown.
I might be dead wrong about this, but everyone who I know that has been to the Big House has told me it is like Neyland stadium in that it is an old stadium and its huge capacity is mostly based on small bleacher seats. IDK for sure about it. But I think the biggest selling points for Michigan are Harbaugh and tradition.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Um, well, why have they sucked for so long? Crappy coaches? I guess so. But the point is, the Big Ten as a whole has been mediocre for a very long time. Other than Ohio State in 2003, and last year, what have they done in the past 20 years? Well you do have Michigan in 1997. Then you've got to go back a lot further to find anyone else. Don't give me Penn State or Nebraska. They haven't won an NC since joining the conference. Or did Penn State win a share in 1994? Can't remember. And even the NFL draft. The Big Ten has underwhelmed there for the past several years.

I know all things are cyclical, but at the moment, this is what recruits know. Maybe Harbaugh can turn it around and bring back Michigan's mystique. It wouldn't shock me.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I might be dead wrong about this, but everyone who I know that has been to the Big House has told me it is like Neyland stadium in that it is an old stadium and its huge capacity is mostly based on small bleacher seats. IDK for sure about it. But I think the biggest selling points for Michigan are Harbaugh and tradition.
I've been there, and you are correct in some ways, but they have made great strides. Go there today and you can't help but be impressed.

Um, well, why have they sucked for so long? Crappy coaches? I guess so. But the point is, the Big Ten as a whole has been mediocre for a very long time. Other than Ohio State in 2003, and last year, what have they done in the past 20 years? Well you do have Michigan in 1997. Then you've got to go back a lot further to find anyone else. Don't give me Penn State or Nebraska. They haven't won an NC since joining the conference. Or did Penn State win a share in 1994? Can't remember. And even the NFL draft. The Big Ten has underwhelmed there for the past several years.

I know all things are cyclical, but at the moment, this is what recruits know. Maybe Harbaugh can turn it around and bring back Michigan's mystique. It wouldn't shock me.
I think Harbaugh can be Michigan's Saban. Whether or not it actually happens is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've been there, and you are correct in some ways, but they have made great strides. Go there today and you can't help but be impressed.

Yeah its on my bucket list,and thats why I didnt call it a dump when I havent been there. But this year I will get UGA off of my list, and depending on how the two teams do I will consider the Iron Bowl on the plains this year. Next year I have to go to the USC and Tennessee games. So it will be at least 3 or 4 years before I will truly think about the Shoe or the Big House.

OSU vs Michigan 06 was a big deal. The problem with the Big 10 was that the SEC and Pac 12 had the best teams for awhile. It goes in phases because I remember prior to 06 the consensus was Big 12, Miami, and USC.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah its on my bucket list,and thats why I didnt call it a dump when I havent been there. But this year I will get UGA off of my list, and depending on how the two teams do I will consider the Iron Bowl on the plains this year. Next year I have to go to the USC and Tennessee games. So it will be at least 3 or 4 years before I will truly think about the Shoe or the Big House.

OSU vs Michigan 06 was a big deal. The problem with the Big 10 was that the SEC and Pac 12 had the best teams for awhile. It goes in phases because I remember prior to 06 the consensus was Big 12, Miami, and USC.
That's true. Seems like it was so long ago. The Big Ten has all the factors in place, except a really strong local talent base. Ohio and Pennsylvania put out some good prospects, but other than that it is slimmer pickings than you've got in the Southeast and California/Texas. But other than that, you've got it all. Huge alumni bases, tons of money, beautiful campuses. But recruiting is the lifeblood and of course, that's why Harbaugh is doing this.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm not a big Harbaugh fan myself....but IMHO having a coach with his background back in college football makes things more interesting......which is always a plus.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I don't think the kids care about the age of the stadium or the quality of seating, what player is ever going to have a butt in those bleachers, I think as long as there are 100,000+ fans in that wide oval stadium, there will be a strong draw for those recruits. If the recruits are inspired by the pitch of Tradition, the age of the stadium would be a plus rather than a negative, I would assume.

I like the fact that he got in there and had fun with the kids. Different kind of coach than Meyer or Saban, and that is fine by me.
I agree wholeheartedly, I'm looking forward to seeing Urban Meyer get a run for his money every year again after running away from Saban.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Coach Saban needs to be Coach Saban. Let the others go for the gimmicks if they think that's the only way they can catch up.

WE ARE...the Icon for college football.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Very few, if any kids from the south will want to go to Michigan if for no other reason than the weather. Forget the facilities, the tradition, or even Harbaugh, the weather on official visits can turn a kid off. Don't believe me, just ask Shaun Alexander.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.