Stuart Bell to be recommended as new UA president

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I knew Stuart Bell when he was here before, as an Engineering professor. He is a great man. I am very hopeful this works out.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Hadn`t heard or noticed that Dr. Bonner was retiring. Had two Presidents while at UA ( Dr. Rose and Dr. Matthews )
I think she announced back in December that she wanted to retire this year some time. I have heard she planned to go back to teaching, at least part time. She took the job at a difficult time and has been a good steward of the role, though given her age it's not like anyone thought she'd hold the job for 20 years or something. The University needs someone dynamic to keep our momentum going. Hope Dr. Bell is up to the task. I've heard from two friends who had him as a professor who both spoke very highly of him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think the University system made a horrible mistake when they hired President Bonner's brother about a year ago at double his current salary, despite his spotty record.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Jo Bonner is a Vice Chancellor for Government Relations (http://uasystem.ua.edu/ua-system-office/government-relations/)

Hopefully the new president will get a handle on the out of control debt load the University has. When Coach Saban retires and we hit the inevitable rough patch, the out of state numbers are going to drop and the school will be in trouble. UA needs to be a state university for in-state students.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Jo Bonner is a Vice Chancellor for Government Relations (http://uasystem.ua.edu/ua-system-office/government-relations/)

Hopefully the new president will get a handle on the out of control debt load the University has. When Coach Saban retires and we hit the inevitable rough patch, the out of state numbers are going to drop and the school will be in trouble. UA needs to be a state university for in-state students.
You seriously think the out-of-state students are coming to UA because of Saban?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think the University system made a horrible mistake when they hired President Bonner's brother about a year ago at double his current salary, despite his spotty record.
Yeah, when I heard this my first thought was let's create a job for my brother not a good decision IMO.

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
You seriously think the out-of-state students are coming to UA because of Saban?
Without a doubt, the success and national visibility of the football program has given the university of a level of national exposure that is attractive to a lot of out-of-state students. High academic rankings among peer schools, an aggressive recruiting/growth push by the administration, relative affordability and the appeal of the SEC college campus experience factor in as well.

Perhaps Saban himself or his presence isn't attracting out-of-state students, but I'd say the success-driven exposure his program has given us is.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yeah, when I heard this my first thought was let's create a job for my brother not a good decision IMO.
Jo Bonner, President Bonner's brother was a Representative in the U.S. House. About a year ago, he was recruited by the University system to quit his elected position, and go to work for the University at double the pay he was making as a Representative. His district was forced to spend several million dollars having a special election to fill is seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Bonner

On July 13, 2006, he was one of thirty-three votes against renewal of the Voting Rights Act.[3]
Given the University's history with George Wallace, I was dumbfounded when Bonner's vote to do away with the Civil Rights Voting Act was not considered to be a disqualifying factor when the University system was considering hiring him.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

The state of Alabama has cut funding to universities substantially the last several years. I doubt funding will increase to where it used to be any time soon (considering the state's financial condition). Just 7 years ago state funding accounted for 34% of the University of Alabama's revenue...now it is just 14%. Yes!...it helps to have students from out of state choose to come here and pay $24,000 per year tuition. The influx of out of state students speaks volumes for the University's reputation. Also remember, there are more in-state students coming than ever also, just a lot more out of state students. This is a great time for Alabama.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The state of Alabama has cut funding to universities substantially the last several years. I doubt funding will increase to where it used to be any time soon (considering the state's financial condition). Just 7 years ago state funding accounted for 34% of the University of Alabama's revenue...now it is just 14%. Yes!...it helps to have students from out of state choose to come here and pay $24,000 per year tuition.
Making attending the University of Alabama more expensive for instate residents seems counter productive as to what our elected officials should do.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm the first to blast the notion that UAB football attracts students. In most cases I think it's a joke, I mean seriously? A game that barely anyone attends somehow is a draw to students? It's illogical. I do think people might go to South Alabama or UAB because of sports, but they're scholarship athletes, a pretty limited demographic.

However, in the case of Alabama football, we're talking about one of the premier programs in one of the most popular sports. I do think there's a chance that when it's all said and done, it might be a check mark in the plus column when someone is deciding what college to attend.

I've tried to think my way around spending money on an athletic department and how to justify it. I do think, in limited cases it is a logical way to advertise. I mean, if you're the University of Alabama, and you have Alabama football out there constantly in the media, how much do you have to spend on advertising? But, of course the flip side is we have these universities wasting millions and the only mention they might get nationally is how horrible the state of their program is.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm the first to blast the notion that UAB football attracts students. In most cases I think it's a joke, I mean seriously? A game that barely anyone attends somehow is a draw to students? It's illogical. I do think people might go to South Alabama or UAB because of sports, but they're scholarship athletes, a pretty limited demographic.

However, in the case of Alabama football, we're talking about one of the premier programs in one of the most popular sports. I do think there's a chance that when it's all said and done, it might be a check mark in the plus column when someone is deciding what college to attend.

I've tried to think my way around spending money on an athletic department and how to justify it. I do think, in limited cases it is a logical way to advertise. I mean, if you're the University of Alabama, and you have Alabama football out there constantly in the media, how much do you have to spend on advertising? But, of course the flip side is we have these universities wasting millions and the only mention they might get nationally is how horrible the state of their program is.
I agree. I took the original comment too literally as out-of-state students were coming to UA because of Coach Saban when I think the point was they were coming because of the success of the football program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.