Link: New Toomer oak already dying...

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
LOL! I've always wondered about Updyke's defense. They had a long release from their arboreal department and a long article in their alumni news years before Harvey's debacle in 2010 that the trees were dying and the causes were being out of range, paving over the roots and blasting the twigs and leaves off with high-pressure hoses to clear the toilet paper. Personally, I think TP is an appropriate symbol for that whole school. (They have it on their class rings.)

Remember too, after the poisoning story broke, their own scientist/professor tested the trees and said they hadn't been poisoned.

That's just a messed up place down there.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
You talking suicide? :) Seriously, anyone who wonders why these trees needs to Google "live oak range." You will stop wondering. They are a coastal tree, period...
It truly amazes me that an AG school, is trying to grow these trees in a concrete box way out of their climate zone, and then powerwash them.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
It truly amazes me that an AG school, is trying to grow these trees in a concrete box way out of their climate zone, and then powerwash them.
HEY! They're*U! An they can do anything they want! Because....because..?..WELL BECAUSE THEY'RE *U! And they're better than BAMA at EVERYTHING!
(don't believe it? Just ask them...go ahead...ask them. Seeeeee...told you so:wink:.)

Roll Tide!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well they are North of their natural habitat, but they've generally survived pretty well inland and further North in other states.
"Live oak" is fairly broad range of trees. To save BW, I cut out your map. You might want to put up the correct one, for the strain you guys are trying to grow. Trying to compare that variety to ones that grow in the Pacific NW is really a stretch.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
"Live oak" is fairly broad range of trees. To save BW, I cut out your map. You might want to put up the correct one, for the strain you guys are trying to grow. Trying to compare that variety to ones that grow in the Pacific NW is really a stretch.
Our oaks are the species Quercus virginiana, and that was the map detailing the suitability of the area for growth for this particular species from the Arbor Day Foundation.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Our oaks are the species Quercus virginiana, and that was the map detailing the suitability of the area for growth for this particular species from the Arbor Day Foundation.
So....... The fact that *U advised the previous Live Oak trees were dying prior to the "IDIOT UPDYKE" episode didn't reveal a historical example to follow? This was OVERLOOKED and/or DISCOUNTED due to WHAT FACTOR? Is *U really expecting history to NOT REPEAT ITSELF?

Just sayin' :wink:

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
The report from their own ag department said it all years ago, and yet their fans refuse to acknowledge. As do the national and regional media. The Updyke story was way more compelling than the truth, I guess.

Seriously, AUdub, respond to that. I am genuinely curious as to your thoughts on the matter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.