Link: New Toomer oak already dying...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The report from their own ag department said it all years ago, and yet their fans refuse to acknowledge. As do the national and regional media. The Updyke story was way more compelling than the truth, I guess.

Seriously, AUdub, respond to that. I am genuinely curious as to your thoughts on the matter.
What? That the trees were in rough shape? Yeah, it was pretty well known. They were comparatively old oaks given where they were located, but it's not like they were hanging on by a thread.

How long they might have survived wasn't really clear. Could have been a half decade, could have been a half century. Ole' Harvey made sure we'd never find out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Well they are North of their natural habitat, but they've generally survived pretty well inland and further North in other states.
That map is completely different from any map I've seen. According to that, they can grow here in extreme north Alabama, which is an absolute joke. I've never seen one here and never will...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What? That the trees were in rough shape? Yeah, it was pretty well known. They were comparatively old oaks given where they were located, but it's not like they were hanging on by a thread.

How long they might have survived wasn't really clear. Could have been a half decade, could have been a half century. Ole' Harvey made sure we'd never find out.
Re-read the 2010 report from your alumni news and also the earlier release from the Auburn arborist himself. Those oaks were not old as those trees go...

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I've tried to find the article where the AU scientist/professor tested the trees and said they weren't poisoned but no luck.
I'm sure somebody has better search skills than I do.

I'm pretty sure I read it on the forum or it was linked from the forum.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've tried to find the article where the AU scientist/professor tested the trees and said they weren't poisoned but no luck.
I'm sure somebody has better search skills than I do.

I'm pretty sure I read it on the forum or it was linked from the forum.
You won't find it. The professor was forced to delete it, just as was done with the report immediately after the poisoning. I may have it saved, if I can find it...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
That map is completely different from any map I've seen. According to that, they can grow here in extreme north Alabama, which is an absolute joke. I've never seen one here and never will...
It's not unknown to hear of folks planting them in Oklahoma or Tennessee right on the edge of the 6b/7a zone. Anecdotal, I know.

The point is that they will flourish in the 8a zone in which Auburn is located if properly nurtured. These will be. At least until we're allowed to start rolling them again. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Considering their location, they were. They don't survive quite as long away from the coast with their root systems buried under a street.
According to Auburn's own archives they were about 75 years old, planted in 1937. Mere teenagers, if they were in the right zone and had been taken care of...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I'm simply offended that Ole Harvey has become a caricature of the Alabama fan base to what seems like the vast majority of Auburn fans. At least those that I encounter online. Also that the fact most Alabama fans were repulsed by what he did seems to be lost these days on Auburn fans.

You don't seem to be like the norm, or I'm mistaken about what is the norm, though. The serious problems with the oaks, where they were planted and how Auburn fans were treating them, is completely glossed over in preference to the moronic Updyke. Obviously he shot the trees in the back of the head, but Auburn fans had been slowly strangling the life out of them for years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm simply offended that Ole Harvey has become a caricature of the Alabama fan base to what seems like the vast majority of Auburn fans. At least those that I encounter online. Also that the fact most Alabama fans were repulsed by what he did seems to be lost these days on Auburn fans.

You don't seem to be like the norm, or I'm mistaken about what is the norm, though. The serious problems with the oaks, where they were planted and how Auburn fans were treating them, is completely glossed over in preference to the moronic Updyke. Obviously he shot the trees in the back of the head, but Auburn fans had been slowly strangling the life out of them for years.
I think it wouldnt be as bad as it is now had the Roll Tide/War Eagle 30 for 30 not aired. In that clip Alabama fans were portrayed as fat,ugly, and stupid by the people they picked compared to the Auburn fans. And to top it off they had Harvey Updike as the unoffical spokesman for the Alabama fanbase. They showed where Auburn helped out for the Tornado but didnt say a thing about the tide for toomers program. Auburn University's website even acknowledges it:http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/tft_check.pdf .

That doccumentery made the rest of the nation label us as spoiled losers that are out of control. Before that aired I dont think Auburn fans were playing the victim card near as much as after when they got national sympathy. It also didnt help when Harvey used the added word to roll tide that Auburn had used for years. Now everywhere new I go people say it when I say Im from Alabama. To add more insult to injury that same season we have the New Orleans Krystals incident and two years later the Seven Nation Army Mom during the Oklahoma game.

I think if anyone looks into Harvey Updike closely they would find a lunatic that 95% of the people dont like in the state of Alabama.

Last edited:

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

What offends me is that I donated a nontrivial amount of money to "Tide for Toomer's", and yet I have not even gotten a simple head nod of thanks from anyone in the Auburn camp. I'm simply called an Updyke.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It's not unknown to hear of folks planting them in Oklahoma or Tennessee right on the edge of the 6b/7a zone. Anecdotal, I know.

The point is that they will flourish in the 8a zone in which Auburn is located if properly nurtured. These will be. At least until we're allowed to start rolling them again. :)
Having worked on the periphery of the landscaping bidnis, I can assure you that you can plant almost any tree, outside of its comfort zone, and it will grow.

For how long and how well...............that depends.

Going by "zone" is really meaningless. Soil pH, and a lot of other factors enter into the equation. It is a lot more complicated than by just how cold or hot it gets.

You can go to Ft. Worth, and see Bur oaks everywhere. Drive over to Dallas, and you will be hard pressed to find one. I've planted some, but I won't be here in 50 years to know how things will turn out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.