Link: New Toomer oak already dying...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm simply offended that Ole Harvey has become a caricature of the Alabama fan base to what seems like the vast majority of Auburn fans. At least those that I encounter online. Also that the fact most Alabama fans were repulsed by what he did seems to be lost these days on Auburn fans.

You don't seem to be like the norm, or I'm mistaken about what is the norm, though. The serious problems with the oaks, where they were planted and how Auburn fans were treating them, is completely glossed over in preference to the moronic Updyke. Obviously he shot the trees in the back of the head, but Auburn fans had been slowly strangling the life out of them for years.
I can honestly say I have never called a Bama fan an Updyke, but I'd be lying if I said it was infrequent on other boards I frequent. I'm not exactly guiltless. I've probably said some things on other boards ya'll wouldn't like. I mind my manners in other people's houses, though. And in my defense I do get along well with Bama fans that frequent Auburn boards as well.

As for Updyke himself, at this point I'd really prefer to drop the whole thing and let the old fool get on with his life. Blood from a turnip and all that.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You should try it sometime. More fun than it looks. ;)
Sylacauga is about an hour away from Auburn and there are a good portion of Sylacauga that go for Auburn (not me). Anyway there are trees across from the stadium, and we were 0-8 going into our 9th game in my sophmore year and we won by a miracle against Chilton Co, and so the students were handing out tp to roll that tree after the game, and some of us joined them in rolling it. We rolled it pretty good too. Unbeknowst to us our coach saw some of us players rolling it, and told the principal that the football would clean it up. So all Monday Morning at 6 am we cleaned it up before class, and I learned when tp is rolled on trees someone has to clean it up, and I pity anyone who has to do it. So me personally I had my feel of rolling trees in my lifetime, but if Auburn wants to do it then that is their tradition.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Sylacauga is about an hour away from Auburn and there are a good portion of Sylacauga that go for Auburn (not me). Anyway there are trees across from the stadium, and we were 0-8 going into our 9th game in my sophmore year and we won by a miracle against Chilton Co, and so the students were handing out tp to roll that tree after the game, and some of us joined them in rolling it. We rolled it pretty good too. Unbeknowst to us our coach saw some of us players rolling it, and told the principal that the football would clean it up. So all Monday Morning at 6 am we cleaned it up before class, and I learned when tp is rolled on trees someone has to clean it up, and I pity anyone who has to do it. So me personally I had my feel of rolling trees in my lifetime, but if Auburn wants to do it then that is their tradition.
Hey, it's in the budget. Job creators, homeslice. ;)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have no idea what your on-field record was. But your coach built something far more important than Ws. He built character. We need more like him today.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can honestly say I have never called a Bama fan an Updyke, but I'd be lying if I said it was infrequent on other boards I frequent. I'm not exactly guiltless. I've probably said some things on other boards ya'll wouldn't like. I mind my manners in other people's houses, though. And in my defense I do get along well with Bama fans that frequent Auburn boards as well.

As for Updyke himself, at this point I'd really prefer to drop the whole thing and let the old fool get on with his life. Blood from a turnip and all that.
Like I said, you're simply not the norm that I have encountered. I won't begrudge anyone the joy of being a fan of their team, but I tire of the vitriol that permeates the rivalry today. I wish more of both sides could enjoy what they have and not try to tear down what the other has. The good natured joking is fun. The pure hatred isn't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Like I said, you're simply not the norm that I have encountered. I won't begrudge anyone the joy of being a fan of their team, but I tire of the vitriol that permeates the rivalry today. I wish more of both sides could enjoy what they have and not try to tear down what the other has. The good natured joking is fun. The pure hatred isn't.
Lacking the "like" button, I like and agree with your post. I think it would be far better if we swapped AU and MO, east and west, and we played under the normal rotation. I think that it's not being an annual obsession would be good for both fan bases. I entered Bama in 1957 and we'd only been playing for nine years in the modern era, so it was not a long-standing rivalry at all. 1957 was probably AU's best all-time team and they beat us soundly in the last year of the Whitworth debacle, but there was, at that time, a strong undercurrent of sentiment with Bama fans that we shouldn't be playing at all. That's changed over the years...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I will be glad to give an update on the oak as I am heading into enemy territory tomorrow. Yep, I failed as a parent and have a daughter going to AU in the fall. :eek2: We have the introduction to the cult Thursday and Friday--I mean orientation. :cool: I will incorporate as much crimson and white into my wardrobe as possible. RTR

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
They have a new oak going in and to ensure it survives, they dug up an entire acre of land when they removed it to bring to Toomer's Corner. The entire block was roped off with a major detour around downtown. After the first one didn't leaf, they tested the soil under the road and it contained the poison--this is why they dug out an entire city block to plant this new tree. TIFWIW and was told to us by someone at Auburn while we were there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.