Link: New Toomer oak already dying...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
TIFWIW they tested the soil under the road and it contained the poison--and was told to us by someone at Auburn while we were there.
I don't know anything about the poison Harvey put in the soil. I have seen people use a strong weed,grass, brush killer poison like round up that kills everything. After everything is dead they plant in the same soil whatever they want, and it grows.

Most poisons have a short period of time til it's no longer effective. Half life and so forth. But again I know nothing about the poison Harvey claimed to have used. I thought they made sure the 1st time the ground was OK.

If the trees die for any reason from now til we all are in our grave they'll blame it on Harvey Updyke and all Bama fans.

Looks like he could have found a team like UTx or one of the teams in the state he was from. SMU would have been a good one for Harvey.

Oh and one more thing. If they found the ground to still contain poison, will it not have an adverse affect on the other tree?

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't know anything about the poison Harvey put in the soil. I have seen people use a strong weed,grass, brush killer poison like round up that kills everything. After everything is dead they plant in the same soil whatever they want, and it grows.

Most poisons have a short period of time til it's no longer effective. Half life and so forth. But again I know nothing about the poison Harvey claimed to have used. I thought they made sure the 1st time the ground was OK.

If the trees die for any reason from now til we all are in our grave they'll blame it on Harvey Updyke and all Bama fans.

Looks like he could have found a team like UTx or one of the teams in the state he was from. SMU would have been a good one for Harvey.
LOL, yeah, it could have been a convenient excuse!

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It was. Like Loyal above said, the half life of Spike is exactly one year. I know this because of a case of a client having a neighbor poison a tree with it. I posted on this above. The Spike was long gone...
Technically, most of it is gone. If the half-life is one year and whats-his-face put it in the soil sometime in the December, 2010 timeframe, then it has been in the soil for roughly 4 and a half years and 1/2 of the amount in the soil degrades each year, so there is about 4.4% of the original amount remaining.

However, if the trees actually absorbed the poison, then a portion of the poison that was placed into the soil was removed by the trees themselves and thus even less than 4% of the amount applied is remaining. Nevertheless, the amount of efficacious poison remaining is basically too small to affect the new trees.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.