LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama, Signs With South Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: LB Riley Cole commits to Alabama

Riley Cole met with new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt on his official this weekend. He has apparently bulked up since committing. Started out at 205 when he committed and now is up to 230LBS. Check out this video of him training. Dude is jacked!
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/01/alabama_oneonta_riley_cole.html#incart_river_index
Good job Riley. Looks like he could fill out into a similar build as Dillon Lee or Keith Holcombe.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Just saw this on twitter from Riley Cole...

Wow. I hate this for Riley but it is the nature of the beast. I would think we have much bigger fish on the hook. Good luck to you Riley and I will be pulling for you.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Guys, I don't like this one bit. This kid has been committed to us for months. Unless from the outset we made it clear he may be asked to grayshirt if the numbers don't line up, this really sucks.

Is it the nature of the beast? Yes. Do I want the best guys we can sign in this class? Absolutely. But this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Agreed. Hard to imagine that this came out of the blue this late in the cycle. If it did, it's even harder to defend -- even if UA gets a supposedly superior player.

Last edited:

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Guys, I don't like this one bit. This kid has been committed to us for months. Unless from the outset we made it clear he may be asked to grayshirt if the numbers don't line up, this really sucks.

Is it the nature of the beast? Yes. Do I want the best guys we can sign in this class? Absolutely. But this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
He still would have a spot period. This is no different than a recruit switching on NSD to another school. This should tell you how we are closing at the LB position

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

I love it! Good sign about our recruiting efforts. He can still play for Bama and get his school paid for so I don't get the indignation .

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama After Asked to Take Greyshirt

Doing this 5 days before NSD is disgusting and inexcusable if he had no warning, and from the way he took the news it is a safe bet that he had no warning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I love it! Good sign about our recruiting efforts. He can still play for Bama and get his school paid for so I don't get the indignation .
On his own dime when he had other offers. You don't get the indignation? Really?

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Doing this 5 days before NSD is disgusting and inexcusable if he had no warning, and from the way he took the news it is a safe bet that he had no warning.
He has always known this is a possibility. Saban prolly told him when he was offered. One sided point of view. What about the numerous players that have told Saban they are coming or won't visit anywhere else. Only to switch right before or the day of signing day. As much as we want to blame the Coaches or Programs . The players need to shoulder some of the blame as well. They like to come up with new ways to play the game and deceive people. (Not saying Cole did this )

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

His post can be taken two ways.
1. He was told he would have to grayshirt to play for Alabama.
2. He was asked if he would consider grayshirting because the team had another top prospect they wanted to offer. In this case, perhaps the decision was left to him and he decommitted because he did not feel valued.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

His post can be taken two ways.
1. He was told he would have to grayshirt to play for Alabama.
2. He was asked if he would consider grayshirting because the team had another top prospect they wanted to offer. In this case, perhaps the decision was left to him and he decommitted because he did not feel valued.
It was most likely this scenario. The same as the Christian Bell situation from last year but Christian decided to take the GS.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

He has always known this is a possibility. Saban prolly told him when he was offered. One sided point of view. What about the numerous players that have told Saban they are coming or won't visit anywhere else. Only to switch right before or the day of signing day. As much as we want to blame the Coaches or Programs . The players need to shoulder some of the blame as well. They like to come up with new ways to play the game and deceive people. (Not saying Cole did this )

Jam, I hope you get into the Penn business school. But if they had accepted you, you had cut off contact with other schools, and then 5 days before signing the papers, Penn told you, 'Sorry, come back in a year' ... Well, I wonder if you would be so matter-of-fact.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Seems the best bet is to wait until after signing day and see how this plays out. We're reading one side of the story. After hearing the explanation from the university we will likely deduce that the truth is somewhere in the middle!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The possibility of Grayshirting was on the table from the beginning..... He knew it was likely he would be grayshirted eventually.... I think the way he handled it was immature.... it is what it is.

MDB1981

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2010
Nectar, al

Jam, I hope you get into the Penn business school. But if they had accepted you, you had cut off contact with other schools, and then 5 days before signing the papers, Penn told you, 'Sorry, come back in a year' ... Well, I wonder if you would be so matter-of-fact.
Not defending or condemning, but trying to clarify. Isn't the delay a semester not a year? For example Christian Bell. Instead of joining the class in the fall of 2015, he joined the class the next semester, Spring 2016. He goes through spring training with 5 years to play 4, so he gets an extra spring like an early enrollee, with the exception of delaying a semester.
Is this correct?

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Meh, I hate it for him but we're only getting one side of the story - and you'll likely never hear the other side completely.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Not defending or condemning, but trying to clarify. Isn't the delay a semester not a year? For example Christian Bell. Instead of joining the class in the fall of 2015, he joined the class the next semester, Spring 2016. He goes through spring training with 5 years to play 4, so he gets an extra spring like an early enrollee, with the exception of delaying a semester.
Is this correct?
This is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.