LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama, Signs With South Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Re: LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama After Asked to Take Greyshirt

I would be surprised if Coach Saban did not mention grayshirting to him until 5 days ago. I figure it was mentioned as a possibility when he committed and they asked him if he was willing to do it 5 days ago if the numbers do line up.

The possibility of Grayshirting was on the table from the beginning..... He knew it was likely he would be grayshirted eventually.... I think the way he handled it was immature.... it is what it is.
Is that's what really happened? If that's so then wow. It's hard to gauge right one.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

The "can't get a straight answer" makes you think he had not had this mentioned as a possibility before and the staff was trying to break it gently that he was going to be gray shirted but that he still had a spot. Like, if things fall like they could on signing day you could be a grayshirt, but if they don't you won't.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Based on twitters and few people commenting, they said it was on the table... I guess, he was upset that he found out with 5 days left...If it was last week, or two weeks ago, I don't think he would be upset...

He has offers from Wake Forest and South Alabama...... he really has limited options... Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad thing to take few months off and bulk up a little... But If he truly isn't happy, I guess he'll probably will end up at WF....

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

He visited only a week or so back, and it appears fairly obvious that this didn't come up. Thus, the sense of ambush in his tweet.

Based on twitters and few people commenting, they said it was on the table... I guess, he was upset that he found out with 5 days left...If it was last week, or two weeks ago, I don't think he would be upset...

He has offers from Wake Forest and South Alabama...... he really has limited options... Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad thing to take few months off E WAS ONand bulk up a little... But If he truly isn't happy, I guess he'll probably will end up at WF....

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012

I assume this means the staff feels great about Juarez? Davis/Wilson/Juarez would be one heck of a haul.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Unless I hear both sides, I can't condemn either. I am almost positive, from all I've heard, thar this was a possibility from the moment he gave us a verbal. I think where the disconnect comes, and this is just speculation, is that it looks on paper like there are plenty of spots. So I'm assuming Cole thought this wasn't going to be an issue...thus the problem late in the process.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I assume this means the staff feels great about Juarez? Davis/Wilson/Juarez would be one heck of a haul.
Worried about Davis after his comments/tweet today. He really want to start as a freshman and the barn can offer him that... I feel he is 50/50 at best right now...

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

On his own dime when he had other offers. You don't get the indignation? Really?
I have never seen a coaching staff have a better academic record and produce such outstanding citizens as this one. You get a couple of words from the recruit and are ready to condem. A tad bit one sided.

I'll say again , nothing has changed. He still has a chance to play for the best school, and maybe the best coach of all time. It's up to him. And I believe he understood the situation from the start.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

The kid still had a full ride scholly to Alabama. It just started four months later. Don't be in such a hurry. Four months wouldn't make that much difference. He still has his entire life in front of him. Some mature adult needs to have a heart to heart talk with him.

I don't intend to be mean, but I was surprised that he had an Alabama offer to begin with. Man , don't look a gift horse in the mouth. C'mon, don't let your pride cost you the opportunity of a lifetime. Stay with Bama.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Maybe I'm a bad guy here, but I personally don't see what the big deal is. Yes, I'm sure the kid is disappointed. But from all accounts, he wasn't gonna get major PT from the jump anyway. So he has to pay for one semester of college. Get a loan like 65% of the rest of the damn country. At least he will be guaranteed a spot for next year, gets a college education for playing football, and still gets to practice and work out with the team, right? So what am I missing? Like someone said earlier, it will be like he's enrolling early and gets a jump on the next class.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Jam, I hope you get into the Penn business school. But if they had accepted you, you had cut off contact with other schools, and then 5 days before signing the papers, Penn told you, 'Sorry, come back in a year' ... Well, I wonder if you would be so matter-of-fact.
I understand your sentiment ,but it really does go both ways. If I was told wait until January to attend Penn Business School and it was the best option for my future. I would get an internship for the fall and go to Penn in Jan. I understand he is upset and rightfully so. However , he could've said I'm decommited and not added the extra. Saban won't comment on what is going on , too classy for that. He didn't just say either take the gray shirt or no offer. Now, just pulling an offer completely would've been a low blow.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Maybe I'm a bad guy here, but I personally don't see what the big deal is. Yes, I'm sure the kid is disappointed. But from all accounts, he wasn't gonna get major PT from the jump anyway. So he has to pay for one semester of college. Get a loan like 65% of the rest of the damn country. At least he will be guaranteed a spot for next year, gets a college education for playing football, and still gets to practice and work out with the team, right? So what am I missing? Like someone said earlier, it will be like he's enrolling early and gets a jump on the next class.
No he dose not have to pay for one semester of college. He starts in January on full scholly. The staff would not want to start in September even if he pays for it.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

No he dose not have to pay for one semester of college. He starts in January on full scholly. The staff would not want to start in September even if he pays for it.
Heck, that's even better! Go to Europe, get in the weight room, hit the books and start studying. Enjoy life for 4 months. My point is, he still would have had the chance to play football at the University of Alabama.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

This probably will work out better for the kid, then before Bama offered him. There's a good chance another SEC team could pick him up, such as South Carolina, just based on the plublicity he got from being chosen by Bama....which is a heck of a lot better than South Alabama or Wake Forest, which is where he was before.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

On his own dime when he had other offers. You don't get the indignation? Really?
It's funny that the kids want to be treated like business partners, until someone makes a business decision they don't like.

He had an offer to come to the University of Alabama to play football on a free ride.

He just has to wait 4 more months than he thought.

I think it's an ego thing....his is bruised.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

His own dime?!? Where do you get that from?

He is being asked to delay a full schollie by one Semester...:cool2: (Two if you count Summer.)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

The "can't get a straight answer" makes you think he had not had this mentioned as a possibility before and the staff was trying to break it gently that he was going to be gray shirted but that he still had a spot. Like, if things fall like they could on signing day you could be a grayshirt, but if they don't you won't.

When kids are excited about something, they don't always hear everything...remember being 17? :cool2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He visited only a week or so back, and it appears fairly obvious that this didn't come up. Thus, the sense of ambush in his tweet.
Would you expect him to say that was on the table? Why make it public if it's only a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Bottom line is the scholarship was not pulled. He was simply asked to wait for one semester. Hopefully he'll come to his senses and take the offer to join in January..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.