LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama, Signs With South Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama After Asked to Take Greyshirt

RTR91;2784267[B said:
]Would you expect him to say that was on the table? [/B]Why make it public if it's only a possibility?

Based on how he replied today, actually I would. He gave several interviews after his visit and all of them focused on how excited he was to be reporting this fall. I don't think the kid has the disposition to sandbag the news. But that's conjecture on my part. As Tiderwatcher said earlier, the likelihood is that the possibility of a delayed enrollment was raised, and he was surprised and hurt by it and feels like he will be publicly embarrassed on Wednesday. Darius Philon responded similarly a few years back. That was sad to watch, too.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Unless he gets an SEC offer, don't be surprised to see a change of heart from Cole. No inside info, but a day or two may change his mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Cole's senior season was shortened by a knee injury, so there's almost zero chance he would played next year anyway. It sucks, but that's life sometimes. 4 months is nothing in the scheme of things, but somebody his age probably doesn't see it that way. One semester just isn't long to wait for a self proclaimed "dream come true" IMO.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

Worried about Davis after his comments/tweet today. He really want to start as a freshman and the barn can offer him that... I feel he is 50/50 at best right now...
I think any other school he visited would be more of a threat than Auburn. Auburn is just the last school...he basically said great things about every school he visited..and why wouldn't he since they treat himlike a rock star? He will be wearing Crimson next year.
RTR

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I read the "lack of a straight answer" to mean that his status depends on who commits. Perhaps he was still in line to report in the fall if some blue chippers went elsewhere. We likely will not ever know the full story.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Worried about Davis after his comments/tweet today. He really want to start as a freshman and the barn can offer him that... I feel he is 50/50 at best right now...
If good enough, he will play - maybe start - at Alabama, too. Numerous examples of freshman playing time. Know you know it, too.

How many 'backers has Awbarn put into the league lately, Mr Davis?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

A possible explanation for all of this has popped up on two recruiting threads on another linebacker recruit that were updated at the same time

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL

He's not going to the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Your probably right; give it a day to reflect; probably had little to no chance to play next year; still a scholly with best program in the country; not like it isn't all-star status to be on scholarship period on Bama's team.
Unless he gets an SEC offer, don't be surprised to see a change of heart from Cole. No inside info, but a day or two may change his mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

The Saban-haters will have a field day with this one. I'll wait for more facts to come out before I give a definitive opinion.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

He's not going to the Barn. Worry all you want but it won't happen.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'm taking this as the staff has good reason to believe they're about to get a few of those 5-star LBs still on the board. It sucks big time for Cole but nobody going to say "well we honored a commitment" if we're short at LB a few years from now and some target ended up being an All-American somewhere else.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Dude's a 3 star prospect with offers from USA and Wake. Wait four months and play football at Alabama. Geez.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Dude's a 3 star prospect with offers from USA and Wake. Wait four months and play football at Alabama. Geez.
With his injury (which I hadn't heard about) he should have been expecting to redshirt anyway next year.

So the only difference is he'll just delay the start of his school to next January and then be on full scholarship and he could still end up playing by year two, which would be no different than being a redshirt freshman.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think our spots are filling up... I expect Monday or Tuesday with leak coming out whos signing and all... and then we'll see which LBs we took, and maybe it'll explain why we asked him to grayshirt.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

With his injury (which I hadn't heard about) he should have been expecting to redshirt anyway next year.

So the only difference is he'll just delay the start of his school to next January and then be on full scholarship and he could still end up playing by year two, which would be no different than being a redshirt freshman.
This.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Doing this 5 days before NSD is disgusting and inexcusable if he had no warning, and from the way he took the news it is a safe bet that he had no warning.
No one in this tiny town or county could believe he got the offer anyway. He should be happy to wait, especially with a rehab. He probably should've councilled with Coach Jacobs before a childish public reaction.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama After Asked to Take Greyshirt

If true, he probably ends up at Oklahoma..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

First let's not forget the context of this. The NCAA has limit on scholarships, then the SEC has a signing limit. You have to abide by these numbers. However, a school is expected to honor all scholarship offers, however the players have no real obligation to honor their commitments. So what happens? There's always going to be some uncertainty. There are better, and worse ways of handling these. There is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with a greyshirt! It does no harm at all to the athlete, in fact it has quite a few benefits. The player has to wait mere months, and in return they get spring practice and an entire extra year of eligibility. You have to be pretty short sighted to want to give that up, especially if you consider that most of the people that don't agree to take the greyshirt end up redshirting their first year at another school.

'Asked', or TOLD?
What does it matter?

First, let's not kid ourselves. He was incredibly lucky to get any scholarship offer. Furthermore, his full free ride was not rescinded at all. They idea that it is some major affront to the kid to make him wait a few months is absurd. He had a right to refuse much like Alabama had a right to ask him to wait. However, it is clear his reaction was not mature.

The clear thing here is that when you extend a greyshirt offer, you are telling the kid he's not going to be ready to play for you from day one. It extends his eligibility, it doesn't harm him. It gives him more time to get ready. Also, I have trouble buying the idea that a guy whose only other offers were from South Alabama and Wake Forest, really wasn't aware of any conditions on his offer. Really? This isn't something new to Nick Saban, if there's a misunderstanding here, if someone made a mistake which seems more likely? The guy who made an immature tweet misunderstood the situation or that Alabama mislead a recruit practically no one else wanted?

But, to me it really does not matter. There's nothing wrong with greyshirts, and it's just a take it or leave it proposition. If players want to feel slighted and don't like the extra practice and eligibility, that's there problem. There's nothing wrong with it. Now we can have a separate discussion about pulling scholarships, but this isn't what happened.

I'll finish with a quote from someone that handled the situation maturely, and you tell me if it sounds like Alabama just springs this on guys at random:
"Coach Saban switched my scholarship to a grayshirt," Bozman told Rivals.com's Andrew Bone.

"I have known about it for about two months. We have been keeping it on the down low. We didn't know for sure if that was going to be the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.