Apr 13, 2012
Re: LB Riley Cole De-Commits from Alabama After Asked to Take Greyshirt

nm...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

If the mods decide to ban me, so be it. Integrity is more important to me than football. I don't excuse this kind of behavior anywhere that I see it, including OSU. I am way more critical of this stuff at OSU than you guys are, and you hate Meyer. I guess that you are fine with it as long as it helps Alabama. That is your choice.
No, the problem here is you're doing what people have done in the past - act like the kid's scholarship was pulled. It wasn't. He was asked to delay his enrollment a few months. He could work during that time. He could do whatever he wanted.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

If that is what happened, fine, but no one is saying that this is what happened. Saban cannot mention this recruit by name, but he can make it clear what happened without mentioning his name. Let's see if he does. Harbaugh just made it clear that he cut a scholarship offer because they had better players for that offer. It happens. When it happens, it is wrong.
Delayed enrollment and a pulled offer are totally different. Cole was asked to possibly delay to January. End of discussion.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

Saban showed this young man how little he is valued. Time to move on. He went from being courted by Alabama to spurned by Alabama. He is now being told that if he decides to stick around, they will give him a scholly next year. But, guess what - they don't have to any more than they had to give him this one. That offer can be pulled, too.
I usually think you're spot on with most of your posts... but think you're off on this one. One of the things that we generally do with all recruits is be upfront about where they stand on our board. If you're the #3 LB prospect on our list, that information is shared - so recruits know. Also, the process with injuries is explained. Your post about "a 5 star kid recovering from an injury" is a "desert island case" for the most part because it is a rarity. Back in 2013, B. Bozeman injured his knee and had his scholarship changed to a greyshirt. Prior to being injured he was a 4 star player... so, yes, it DOES happen with players other than "3 star guys".

Here's the thing though. You bash Bama for doing this. Do you also bash recruits for changing in the middle of the stream as well as schools who encourage them to do so? In 2015, Damon Arnette flipped from South Carolina to OSU on 2-2 and Davon Hamilton flipped from Kentucky on 1-26. Just a few days ago, Dwayne Haskins and Keandre Jones flipped from Maryland to OSU. These two guys were Maryland's top commits, Haskins being a 5 star and Jones a 4 star, and they abandoned Maryland at this stage in the game.

Do you verbally state the same kind of thing about your Buckeyes as you do towards the Tide? Do you criticize Meyer & company for encouraging these guys to abandon commitments they've made previously? Do you criticize Haskins, Jones, Arnette, and Hamilton for flipping - especially for doing so late in the recruiting game? Somehow, in this day and age, the media has created the perception that it's "ok" for a player to abandon a school... and for schools to encourage a player to abandon another school. BUT... it's not "ok" for a school to change IT'S mind on a player. Knowing a school can't comment on the issue prior to signing day, the media jumps on the comments of the player and thus the school is ALWAYS the "bad guy". Little bit of consistency on your part (and their's as well) would be nice to see.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Riley Cole's Father on WJOX

I hate to start a new thread on this as soon as the other one was closed, and if this is inappropriate, go ahead and close it, but some new news came to light in the last few minutes.

Riley Cole's father called into The Opening Drive on WJOX and dropped a few nuggets. Check out their twitter page for more info. Here's the most clear cut info we've heard though:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Here's the audio to the JOX interview, RedStar mentioned.

And an article with some quotes for those that cannot listen to the entire interview.

One day after Oneonta linebacker Riley Cole decommitted from Alabama, his father David called into JOX FM's Opening Drive to clear the air.

The main points: the Cole family was most disappointed in the timing of the decision, said communication was the major issue and that Alabama head coach Nick Saban was "not the reason for this happening."

"The respect I have for Coach Saban and his family, I can't describe enough about it," David Cole said on JOX. "I really don't think he knew about what was trying to be presented to us."

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Cole's father said, Saban was always upfront, change might have started after Smart left and Pruitt came in, wouldve been nice to have had an extra week.

Lets keep it civil....

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

So per his dad, there really doesn't seem to be an issue.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Whoa.... this should be interesting. If that's the case, you think Georgia might offer him at last minute considering Smart/Pruitt situation ?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Let him go. I think we upgraded with a late push for Lyndell Wilson. Probably didn't expect to snag him earlier in the process and now that it looks more favorable, the 3 star guy still gets an opportunity but the premier deal is going to go to the 5 star recruit. Somebody more in the "know" can tell me if that idea is completely ridiculous. Either way, we are stacked at LB so take it or leave it. Play ball and get a free ride somewhere else. I'm sure he's frustrated and has reason to be so but the opportunity to get a full ride scholarship at multiple schools like wake Forest and Oklahoma is a much better alternative to walking on and taking out student loans...which is where a lot of American students are at. Be frustrated, but keep that chin up, the education is still free - and that's the most important thing.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

So per his dad, there really doesn't seem to be an issue.
No, there is an issue. The dad says a red shirt was discussed from the start but never a gray one until 5 days before by Pruitt.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Let him go. I think we upgraded with a late push for Lyndell Wilson. Probably didn't expect to snag him earlier in the process and now that it looks more favorable, the 3 star guy still gets an opportunity but the premier deal is going to go to the 5 star recruit. Somebody more in the "know" can tell me if that idea is completely ridiculous. Either way, we are stacked at LB so take it or leave it. Play ball and get a free ride somewhere else. I'm sure he's frustrated and has reason to be so but the opportunity to get a full ride scholarship at multiple schools like wake Forest and Oklahoma is a much better alternative to walking on and taking out student loans...which is where a lot of American students are at. Be frustrated, but keep that chin up, the education is still free - and that's the most important thing.
Mack Wilson would not be the reason for this. Alabama has been the assumed favorite for him for months.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

The spot freed up in the Cole situation may not be for a LB. It could be for a RB, DT/DE, for example. Those are positions of greater need than LB for this season. After the season, and early exit to the NFL would have freed the spot for Cole.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

No, there is an issue. The dad says a red shirt was discussed from the start but never a gray one until 5 days before by Pruitt.
Guess I missed that in the "Saban was up front from the start" statement. Thought that referred to grey shirt. I didn't listen to the audio.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

All Daddy damage control - do you really think Pruitt returns with recruiting autonomy, and without Saban's knowledge and consent, and delivers the greyshirt news?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

All Daddy damage control - do you really think Pruitt returns with recruiting autonomy, and without Saban's knowledge and consent, and delivers the greyshirt news?
Not really, though Pruitt may prove to be far more of an Alpha than Kirby. Just reporting what the father said. I also believe that at this hectic stage communication issues can occur.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I'll simply say this. A kid from Oneonta that has an opportunity to play at Alabama - this Alabama with Nick Saban as HC - takes that opportunity whether it is delayed or not. A greyshirt is about the only way a kid from Oneonta has any chance of being a part of this program.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I'll simply say this. A kid from Oneonta that has an opportunity to play at Alabama - this Alabama with Nick Saban as HC - takes that opportunity whether it is delayed or not. A greyshirt is about the only way a kid from Oneonta has any chance of being a part of this program.
Especially reading about some of his other offers he has had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.