formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
LB Riley Cole commits to Alabama

Only other offers were Wake Forest and South Alabama? Guessing this is one of those diamonds in the rough. Glad to have him on board.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: LB Riley Cole commits to Alabama

Only other offers were Wake Forest and South Alabama? Guessing this is one of those diamonds in the rough..
Right. Or they`ve seen something in him that leads them to think he might be versatile and able to play another position. SS maybe? Personally I`ll trust Coach Saban`s judgement. Let the boogs make fun. We`ll remember that when he decleats some barn rat in 2-3 years. RTR!

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

Reminds me of Vinnie Sunseri. Almost same size Vinnie played at. Welcome to the Capstone, Riley.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Per the article he said the coaches like him at ILB. He appears to have the frame needed to bulk up some, and some good coverage skills. Welcome and RTR.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Welcome Riley!! I was suprised he had a committable offer also. Wonder if we are missing on another ILB or Saban is trying to improve the character of our team after a bad off season of DUI's and violence.
Maybe he will be another Keith Holcombe and surprise some of us.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

I like his film. He has the combination of being quick to the ball-handler and also tackling direct and hard. It will help with spread offenses.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Sometimes we have guys who come in this time of year who are expected to be longer term in development but have an upside that Saban can see. These are the sort of guys who might not make it in the class if they waited until later to commit because we have so many high profile targets. Remember the star system rates how ready they are to play NOW, not how good they can be down the road. That's how you have players like JJ Watt slipping through the system unnoticed. Certainly we've learned by now that Saban doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes in spotting ability. We took Keith Holcombe last year who was rated similarly if not even lower than Cole. Since arriving he's been talked about about as much as anyone and looked outstanding this spring.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Sometimes we have guys who come in this time of year who are expected to be longer term in development but have an upside that Saban can see. These are the sort of guys who might not make it in the class if they waited until later to commit because we have so many high profile targets. Remember the star system rates how ready they are to play NOW, not how good they can be down the road. That's how you have players like JJ Watt slipping through the system unnoticed. Certainly we've learned by now that Saban doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes in spotting ability. We took Keith Holcombe last year who was rated similarly if not even lower than Cole. Since arriving he's been talked about about as much as anyone and looked outstanding this spring.
Call them "developmental projects" or whatever, it would appear that we are at a point depth wise where the staff can look a bit beyond the " Can`t miss, immediate impact 5* player " to a scholarship or two or three for guys who show promise but maybe not quite there yet. If that`s accurate, I think it`s great. It also tests the mettle of the coaching staff when it comes to player development, IMHO.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Reminds me of Vinnie Sunseri. Almost same size Vinnie played at. Welcome to the Capstone, Riley.
I disagree. Riley has a full 3 inches on Vinnie. I don't see a size comparison at all.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

This is the type player we have been recruiting the last 2 years to combat the HUNH, running QB's. Keith Holcombe and Keaton Anderson are similar style players. Welcome Riley and RTR!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Lots of people think J Yulee is an iffy qualifier, or so I have read. I'm betting we didn't hand out an offer without being convinced Cole is a football player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.