Link: Interesting study by OTL in relationships between police departments and athletes...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It really is shocking at the number of athletes involved in criminal behavior. There is no school immune from this and certainly we have had our own problems. I'm really glad we weren't included in the 10.
I really hope the season gets here soon. Then we will actually get stories about football.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Wonder how they picked these particular ten schools...

LINK
Earle, I believe the reporter on OTL this morning said that they selected these based on the cities being primarily "college towns". (I believe she may have even said they exhibited characteristics of the quintessential college town).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I believe the reporter on OTL this morning said that they selected these based on the cities being primarily "college towns". (I believe she may have even said they exhibited characteristics of the quintessential college town).
Wow! Tallahassee is the state capitol. Some college town. I also have a hard time seeing College Station as a "college town." If that were the criterion, how could OM and Oxford not be included?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Wow! Tallahassee is the state capitol. Some college town. I also have a hard time seeing College Station as a "college town." If that were the criterion, how could OM and Oxford not be included?
I pretty much had the same thought. However, I'm almost certain that this is what Paula Lavigne (ESPN writer) said (paraphrased) this morning to Bob Ley. She also said that the story was an off shoot of the story ESPN did concerning the sexual assault of a number of Missouri coeds and female athletes by football players.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for the link. This stuff starts in grade school for many of these athletes. They are treated differently all of their lives. Nothing surprising here, and it probably happens on every campus with a high profile sports program.

Life isn't fair, and this report will change nothing.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Kids don't come to college & just get bad all of a sudden for the most part.

So, I see this all as a recruiting poster for the thugs.

You know the schools will never change.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for the link. This stuff starts in grade school for many of these athletes. They are treated differently all of their lives. Nothing surprising here, and it probably happens on every campus with a high profile sports program.

I hate to say it, but I saw it repeatedly when my son played middle school and high school football. Not situations with the police and arrests, but situations where the star athletes on the team were handle differently from the rest. Everything from grade changes and "retesting" to substance abuse issues that magically go away prior to the season starting. And we wonder why we produce kids that ARE characters instead of kid that HAVE character....

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

Sure it'll change something, those named in the report will do a better job of covering up and doctoring stats.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Kids don't come to college & just get bad all of a sudden for the most part.

So, I see this all as a recruiting poster for the thugs.

You know the schools will never change.
The first thing that came to mind as I was reading this, and seeing that FSU topped the list, was that so many recruits were swayed that way because they felt that Jimbo "had their backs" after the whole Winston affair. Tallahassee is beginning to remind me of Boulder in the mid-to-late '80s and early '90s when McCartney was recruiting kids that no one else would touch.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The first thing that came to mind as I was reading this, and seeing that FSU topped the list, was that so many recruits were swayed that way because they felt that Jimbo "had their backs" after the whole Winston affair. Tallahassee is beginning to remind me of Boulder in the mid-to-late '80s and early '90s when McCartney was recruiting kids that no one else would touch.
Reminds me of Bowden's 90s/early 2000s FSU. The Criminoles reborn.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think the main difference is not necessarily a direct plan to keep players out of jail but the fact that any player is one phone call away from having a connected lawyer talking to the DA. Normal people simply don't have that sort of access and in our country all power and even our freedom is dependent on having a lawyer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.