Oregon St WR transferring to Alabama

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
Re: Oregon St WR considering transfer to Alabama

Would be a huge get at a position with a lot of inexperience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

How do we have a spot open for him if we are making a kid grey-shirt?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

How do we have a spot open for him if we are making a kid grey-shirt?
First off you can't "make a kid grey-shirt". That's impossible, it is an entirely voluntary process. Grey-shirting can be very beneficial, I don't know what kid you think it being forced into it, but generally speaking, recovering from injury, or needing development are key reasons to grey-shirt. You never would do that with someone who is ready to play from day one, you do it because he needs more time, and from what I recall I don't think even players who decided not to do that at Alabama, played in their first year.

So, some people claim it's this horrible thing but it's so far from it in most scenarios. You do it, and rather than enrolling in the fall that year, you enroll in spring the next year. They become an EE, and save a year of eligibility in the process. I honestly have never heard a kid say how terrible it was for them and how much they regret it, I just see the media portraying it as some great evil. I have seen some kids refuse to do it, but in a lot of cases it's a condition of the scholarship offer.

Anyway, having addressed that... it appears Alabama was saving a slot for a potential QB transfer, and now it's available for someone else. Looks like this kid would be a great addition, you know vs. someone that won't play this year and would just take up one of the limited scholarships.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

With the loss of Cam Sims for the season most likely this is a good fit. He has one year to play and Cam Sims has a year to heal. I'm not expecting him to lite the world on fire but he's got more live game experience than anyone on our roster. He can definitely help us.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shucks, I read about his stats when he was a Sophomore. I was hoping he was a RS with 2 years left. Oh well, we can definitely use his contributions at a position with very little returning experience.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

He looks like he can make a QB look good with some of the adjustments he made to make the catch in the video.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

First off you can't "make a kid grey-shirt". That's impossible, it is an entirely voluntary process. Grey-shirting can be very beneficial, I don't know what kid you think it being forced into it, but generally speaking, recovering from injury, or needing development are key reasons to grey-shirt. You never would do that with someone who is ready to play from day one, you do it because he needs more time, and from what I recall I don't think even players who decided not to do that at Alabama, played in their first year.

So, some people claim it's this horrible thing but it's so far from it in most scenarios. You do it, and rather than enrolling in the fall that year, you enroll in spring the next year. They become an EE, and save a year of eligibility in the process. I honestly have never heard a kid say how terrible it was for them and how much they regret it, I just see the media portraying it as some great evil. I have seen some kids refuse to do it, but in a lot of cases it's a condition of the scholarship offer.

Anyway, having addressed that... it appears Alabama was saving a slot for a potential QB transfer, and now it's available for someone else. Looks like this kid would be a great addition, you know vs. someone that won't play this year and would just take up one of the limited scholarships.
Of course it is "voluntary", but the voluntary choice is usually grey shirt or go somewhere else. A red-shirt is the more common thing to do for a kid that is not ready to play.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He looks like he can make a QB look good with some of the adjustments he made to make the catch in the video.
I saw his highlights earlier and the first thing I thought was "possession." Cooper had us spoiled - possession receiver and game breaker all rolled up in one. We have some possible game breakers, but our QBs are going to be looking for this guy on 3rd downs...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Of course it is "voluntary", but the voluntary choice is usually grey shirt or go somewhere else. A red-shirt is the more common thing to do for a kid that is not ready to play.
They can still red-shirt though, this doesn't take that away from it. Alabama has had offensive linemen for instance, who are on the roster as seniors that otherwise would have already graduated. It makes a lot of sense if you are talking about any player needing development. They get not just the extra spring practice, but a whole extra year in addition.

Now, the stupid signing limit has applied more pressure because there are instances in which Alabama would put someone on scholarship right away but they can't actually sign them! But that's another story... remember now a scholarship available doesn't always mean a slot available to sign one.

Like I said, it's made to sound bad but it's not, it does nothing bad to the kid at all really, unless they're just ridiculously impatient.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

With the loss of Cam Sims for the season most likely this is a good fit. He has one year to play and Cam Sims has a year to heal. I'm not expecting him to lite the world on fire but he's got more live game experience than anyone on our roster. He can definitely help us.
^^^
Agree and like. Happy to him! Roll Tide, Richard!!

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I've been under a rock, clearly, what happened to Cam Sims?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.