The attrition at running back continues: Desherrius Flowers is ineligible this fall..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Career rushing stats:
Name Yards YPC TDs
Yeldon 3322 5.8 37
Ingram 3261 5.7 42
Richardson 3130 5.8 35
Lacy 2402 6.8 30

As as you can see the stats are incredibly similar except for Lacy's phenomenal YPC and Lacy had a third fewer carries. Except for 2012, Yeldon's OLine was not as good, nor the attitude and philosophy for the running game. OTOH, Yeldon had a better passing game. Who can forget his screen reception against LSU in 2012 or one of the most underrated plays in Bama lore when he willed his way to a first down on 3rd and 5 against UGA to keep the drive alive just before AJ hit Amari for the game winner. There were certainly many other plays and games.

There appears to be a good chance that he will prove his superior running skills in the NFL. Too bad he was drafted by the Jags. How good is their OLine ?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
This the thinnest we've been at RB since that disastrous year where we started a true freshman scat back against Auburn who to my knowledge never played a down of college football before or after that day. If Drake and Henry stay healthy all will be fine but if we get a rash of injuries we are screwed.

Who is the running back your are talking about and when? During the NCAA sanction years?

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I think Chris Anderson was there with Coach Stallings? Seems I remember him having a 1000 yard season maybe? I don't remember UA having a scat back play against the barn...I do remember the barn having a little scat back run against us one year...wish I could forget it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Every running backs we have recuited to come to Alabama... We've had pretty good running backs in last few years..
Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy,and TJ Yeldon. Jalston Fowler should be on the list, because he has done so much for us at variouis positions. Kenyan Drake and Derrick Henry will join the list after this year, All of them have a different running styles... I've come to appreciate every one of them for what they do on and off the field.

Altee Tenpenny, Alvin Karmara, Tyren Jones, and others.... its a shame they left Alabama, but If they left Alabama and learned from it and ended up somewhere having successful playing career at different school, then I am okay with that. I think Alvin Kamara has matured a lot and will do well at Tennessee. Altee Tenpenny as well. I know we lost lot of running backs... but I don't think we have lot to worry about when it comes to Running backs: Think about it for a minute: Henry, Drake, Harris, Buie, Pell ( Say what you want to say about him, but dude played hard when he was able to get playing time last year) and Ronnie Clark... I think he'll stay at RB this year before moving back to defense next year. We have Bo Scarbough coming back to the team this fall. I think we'll be okay. I wouldnt be suprised if we added another running back to the team.... I really think we will have balanced attack this year... last year we were balanced even through the play on the field dont always show that.. but I do expect us to run ball slightly more. Coker and Cornwell will get the job done. I really think Halfway through the schedule, we will suprise lot of people with the offense.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Could be the one. '04 was Aaron's freshman year, his most productive. All time with 200 yds rushing and a couple dozen yards receiving. I don't see after '05 where he was on the roster.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Back on subject, is there any word to where Desherrius Flowers will be enrolling at JUCO or is he going back to his HS? If he goes JUCO Route, will he come back to Alabama?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
I know we lost lot of running backs... but I don't think we have lot to worry about when it comes to Running backs: Think about it for a minute: Henry, Drake, Harris, Buie, Pell ( Say what you want to say about him, but dude played hard when he was able to get playing time last year) and Ronnie Clark... I think he'll stay at RB this year before moving back to defense next year. We have Bo Scarbough coming back to the team this fall. I think we'll be okay. I wouldnt be suprised if we added another running back to the team.... I really think we will have balanced attack this year... last year we were balanced even through the play on the field dont always show that.. but I do expect us to run ball slightly more. Coker and Cornwell will get the job done. I really think Halfway through the schedule, we will suprise lot of people with the offense.
Hm m m m . . .
[1] Where did you get info that Buie is coming to Alabama? [2] Is D Harris even enrolled yet? [3] Where did you get info that Bo S. will be good to go this fall?

Hope you are right, but there are some significant assumptions made that we simply don't KNOW at this point.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just read we have been in touch with a JUCO RB in Cali who would could come in for the 2015 season. Our staff is obviously very concerned about depth at RB.

To answer Bama 579, Damien Harris is enrolled.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Buie took a visit with Alabama recently... http://wvmetronews.com/2015/06/19/andrew-buie-visits-alabama-to-explore-transfer/ and http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/17/new-alabama-rb-ruled-ineligible-after-starting-classes/
Also, there has been several tweets from some folks that thinks He could land at alabama. There's mutual interests between him and coaches.

Harris is already enrolled.

Bo Scarbough- There's some talk that Bo may be ready in October/November... but the way I look at it... If players ahead of him are playing well, (Henry Drake and Harris) Scarbough may not be needed and could be redshirted.... ( I perfer him being redshirted anyway) http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/06/nick_saban_offers_injury_updat.html

Hm m m m . . .
[1] Where did you get info that Buie is coming to Alabama? [2] Is D Harris even enrolled yet? [3] Where did you get info that Bo S. will be good to go this fall?

Hope you are right, but there are some significant assumptions made that we simply don't KNOW at this point.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Career rushing stats:
Name Yards YPC TDs
Yeldon 3322 5.8 37
Ingram 3261 5.7 42
Richardson 3130 5.8 35
Lacy 2402 6.8 30

As as you can see the stats are incredibly similar except for Lacy's phenomenal YPC and Lacy had a third fewer carries. Except for 2012, Yeldon's OLine was not as good, nor the attitude and philosophy for the running game. OTOH, Yeldon had a better passing game. Who can forget his screen reception against LSU in 2012 or one of the most underrated plays in Bama lore when he willed his way to a first down on 3rd and 5 against UGA to keep the drive alive just before AJ hit Amari for the game winner. There were certainly many other plays and games.

There appears to be a good chance that he will prove his superior running skills in the NFL. Too bad he was drafted by the Jags. How good is their OLine ?
That really just came down to the luck of the draw of how he fell in the playing rotation. IMO, Lacy was the best of that group, but has far fewer yards just because of his timing. He came in when Ingram and Richardson were already here. Yeldon gets to play a ton as a freshman because Richardson and Ingram had rotated out. CNS gives the bulk of the carries to the top 2 backs most of the time, with the 3rd guy getting some mop up here and there.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That really just came down to the luck of the draw of how he fell in the playing rotation. IMO, Lacy was the best of that group, but has far fewer yards just because of his timing. He came in when Ingram and Richardson were already here. Yeldon gets to play a ton as a freshman because Richardson and Ingram had rotated out. CNS gives the bulk of the carries to the top 2 backs most of the time, with the 3rd guy getting some mop up here and there.
Actually Richardson and Lacy were in the same class but Lacy redshirted.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
I just read we have been in touch with a JUCO RB in Cali who would could come in for the 2015 season. Our staff is obviously very concerned about depth at RB.

To answer Bama 579, Damien Harris is enrolled.
Thanks for D Harris info. Now let's hope he remains eligible. :wink: I AM curious as to the source, though.

OK, I'll take the bait. Who is the JUCO running back you mentioned?

Wasn't it Aaron Johns?

Our entire starting backfield including the QB (Brody) and several other subs were injured that year, 2004 IIRC.
Good get. Probably the one talked about in the original post.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Thanks for D Harris info. Now let's hope he remains eligible. :wink: I AM curious as to the source, though.

OK, I'll take the bait. Who is the JUCO running back you mentioned?

Good get. Probably the one talked about in the original post.
I had to look it back up but his name is DeShawn Jones of Pierce College in L.A. This is on the TiderInsider site.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.