Interesting article (2 yrs ago) on pyschotropic drugs and mass shootings

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/eve...ears-shares-psychotropic-drugs/#axzz3dWRNihzv
•Eric Harris age 17 (first on Zoloft then Luvox) and Dylan Klebold aged 18 (Columbine school shooting in Littleton, Colorado), killed 12 students and 1 teacher, and wounded 23 others, before killing themselves. Klebold’s medical records have never been made available to the public.
•Jeff Weise, age 16, had been prescribed 60 mg/day of Prozac (three times the average starting dose for adults!) when he shot his grandfather, his grandfather’s girlfriend and many fellow students at Red Lake, Minnesota. He then shot himself. 10 dead, 12 wounded.
•Cory Baadsgaard, age 16, Wahluke (Washington state) High School, was on Paxil (which caused him to have hallucinations) when he took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates hostage. He has no memory of the event.
•Chris Fetters, age 13, killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.
•Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.
•Mathew Miller, age 13, hung himself in his bedroom closet after taking Zoloft for 6 days.
•Kip Kinkel, age 15, (on Prozac and Ritalin) shot his parents while they slept then went to school and opened fire killing 2 classmates and injuring 22 shortly after beginning Prozac treatment.
•Luke Woodham, age 16 (Prozac) killed his mother and then killed two students, wounding six others.
•A boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) in 1998 had a Zoloft-induced seizure that caused an armed stand off at his school.
•Michael Carneal (Ritalin), age 14, opened fire on students at a high school prayer meeting in West Paducah, Kentucky. Three teenagers were killed, five others were wounded..
•A young man in Huntsville, Alabama (Ritalin) went psychotic chopping up his parents with an ax and also killing one sibling and almost murdering another.
•Andrew Golden, age 11, (Ritalin) and Mitchell Johnson, aged 14, (Ritalin) shot 15 people, killing four students, one teacher, and wounding 10 others.
•TJ Solomon, age 15, (Ritalin) high school student in Conyers, Georgia opened fire on and wounded six of his class mates.
•Rod Mathews, age 14, (Ritalin) beat a classmate to death with a bat.
•James Wilson, age 19, (various psychiatric drugs) from Breenwood, South Carolina, took a .22 caliber revolver into an elementary school killing two young girls, and wounding seven other children and two teachers.
•Elizabeth Bush, age 13, (Paxil) was responsible for a school shooting in Pennsylvania
•Jason Hoffman (Effexor and Celexa) – school shooting in El Cajon, California
•Jarred Viktor, age 15, (Paxil), after five days on Paxil he stabbed his grandmother 61 times.
•Chris Shanahan, age 15 (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman.
•Jeff Franklin (Prozac and Ritalin), Huntsville, AL, killed his parents as they came home from work using a sledge hammer, hatchet, butcher knife and mechanic’s file, then attacked his younger brothers and sister.
•Neal Furrow (Prozac) in LA Jewish school shooting reported to have been court-ordered to be on Prozac along with several other medications.
•Kevin Rider, age 14, was withdrawing from Prozac when he died from a gunshot wound to his head. Initially it was ruled a suicide, but two years later, the investigation into his death was opened as a possible homicide. The prime suspect, also age 14, had been taking Zoloft and other SSRI antidepressants.
•Alex Kim, age 13, hung himself shortly after his Lexapro prescription had been doubled.
•Diane Routhier was prescribed Welbutrin for gallstone problems. Six days later, after suffering many adverse effects of the drug, she shot herself.
•Billy Willkomm, an accomplished wrestler and a University of Florida student, was prescribed Prozac at the age of 17. His family found him dead of suicide – hanging from a tall ladder at the family’s Gulf Shore Boulevard home in July 2002.
•Kara Jaye Anne Fuller-Otter, age 12, was on Paxil when she hung herself from a hook in her closet. Kara’s parents said “…. the damn doctor wouldn’t take her off it and I asked him to when we went in on the second visit. I told him I thought she was having some sort of reaction to Paxil…”)
•Gareth Christian, Vancouver, age 18, was on Paxil when he committed suicide in 2002,
•(Gareth’s father could not accept his son’s death and killed himself.)
•Julie Woodward, age 17, was on Zoloft when she hung herself in her family’s detached garage.
•Matthew Miller was 13 when he saw a psychiatrist because he was having difficulty at school. The psychiatrist gave him samples of Zoloft. Seven days later his mother found him dead, hanging by a belt from a laundry hook in his closet.
•Kurt Danysh, age 18, and on Prozac, killed his father with a shotgun. He is now behind prison bars, and writes letters, trying to warn the world that SSRI drugs can kill.
•Woody ____, age 37, committed suicide while in his 5th week of taking Zoloft. Shortly before his death his physician suggested doubling the dose of the drug. He had seen his physician only for insomnia. He had never been depressed, nor did he have any history of any mental illness symptoms.
•A boy from Houston, age 10, shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased.
•Hammad Memon, age 15, shot and killed a fellow middle school student. He had been diagnosed with ADHD and depression and was taking Zoloft and “other drugs for the conditions.”
•Matti Saari, a 22-year-old culinary student, shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine.
•Steven Kazmierczak, age 27, shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amounts of Xanax in his system.
•Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen, age 18, had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School – then he committed suicide.
•Asa Coon from Cleveland, age 14, shot and wounded four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon was on Trazodone.
•Jon Romano, age 16, on medication for depression, fired a shotgun at a teacher in his New York high school.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
There is no happy pill, but the profit from many which claim to be make a lot of people happy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I noticed we have two on the list - Franklin and Memon. Sometimes people just bring their problems with them. The Franklins had just moved here from NY state. The Memons from Pakistan. Memon was arrested along with his mother in Dallas, with about $15K cash on their persons, airline tickets and passports, trying to escape to Pakistan. He was placed in jail without bond and both his parents were arrested...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Good post DBF.

I watched this whole trail on Court TV some years ago. Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.

Pittman was small 12 year old looking scared to death and out of it. His lawyer introduced some studies about Zoloft and violence but a company rep testified other wise. I think this trail caused the FDA to put warning labels on anti-depressant and their use for young people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/23/us/drug-trial-justice-science-boy-s-murder-case-entangled-fight-over.html

But the Pittman case has attracted special attention because it is among the first to arise amid a national debate over the safety of antidepressant use in children and teenagers. Depression is a complex condition, and antidepressants like Zoloft have helped countless children and adults.
In recent months, however, the federal Food and Drug Administration has been examining data from clinical trials indicating that some depressed children and adolescents taking antidepressants think more about suicide and attempt it more often than patients given placebos. The findings varied between drugs. The F.D.A. is scheduled to hold an advisory committee meeting on the issue next month.

Pfizer, the maker of Zoloft, has helped the county solicitor who is prosecuting Christopher Pittman. Plaintiffs' lawyers from Houston and Los Angeles, who between them have brought numerous civil lawsuits against Pfizer and other antidepressant makers, have signed onto the defense team. Groups opposed to pediatric antidepressant use have also championed the boy's case, which is being played out in Chester, S.C., a small town near the North Carolina border.

FDA warning requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressants_and_suicide_risk

Benefits versus risk as always. If you stop taking the drugs irritability increases.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good post DBF.

I watched this whole trail on Court TV some years ago. Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.

Pittman was small 12 year old looking scared to death and out of it. His lawyer introduced some studies about Zoloft and violence but a company rep testified other wise. I think this trail caused the FDA to put warning labels on anti-depressant and their use for young people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/23/us/drug-trial-justice-science-boy-s-murder-case-entangled-fight-over.html

But the Pittman case has attracted special attention because it is among the first to arise amid a national debate over the safety of antidepressant use in children and teenagers. Depression is a complex condition, and antidepressants like Zoloft have helped countless children and adults.
In recent months, however, the federal Food and Drug Administration has been examining data from clinical trials indicating that some depressed children and adolescents taking antidepressants think more about suicide and attempt it more often than patients given placebos. The findings varied between drugs. The F.D.A. is scheduled to hold an advisory committee meeting on the issue next month.

Pfizer, the maker of Zoloft, has helped the county solicitor who is prosecuting Christopher Pittman. Plaintiffs' lawyers from Houston and Los Angeles, who between them have brought numerous civil lawsuits against Pfizer and other antidepressant makers, have signed onto the defense team. Groups opposed to pediatric antidepressant use have also championed the boy's case, which is being played out in Chester, S.C., a small town near the North Carolina border.

FDA warning requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressants_and_suicide_risk

Benefits versus risk as always. If you stop taking the drugs irritability increases.
That's the reason I proposed in the thread about Denmark, their being the world's leading consumer of antidepressants, and also continually polling as the world's "happiest people," that their pills should be withheld for a period of days and then poll them again. I think the result would be different. Danes without drugs would, I think, yield a different result... :D

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
That's the reason I proposed in the thread about Denmark, their being the world's leading consumer of antidepressants, and also continually polling as the world's "happiest people," that their pills should be withheld for a period of days and then poll them again. I think the result would be different. Danes without drugs would, I think, yield a different result... :D
I wonder what the violent crime stats are there

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I find this extremely interesting especially after reading about MKULTRA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

It is a little "tin foil hat" but interesting, nonetheless. I have personally witnessed what an overdose of Wellbutrin can do to a person and it is scary as anything I have ever seen. By overdose, I don't mean someone takes too many at once, but a too high of a dosage given to a person who is already on another SSRI drug. I've never wanted to choke the life out of someone like I did the doctor who prescribed 300mg of Wellbutrin to my mother. She is lucky she is alive and still practicing medicine. :mad2: As soon as WE (via google) figured out it was an overdose and not a stroke that caused psychosis and we took her off the meds, she was 100% better within 2 days and completely back to normal.

These Rx drugs are scary.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I find this extremely interesting especially after reading about MKULTRA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

It is a little "tin foil hat" but interesting, nonetheless. I have personally witnessed what an overdose of Wellbutrin can do to a person and it is scary as anything I have ever seen. By overdose, I don't mean someone takes too many at once, but a too high of a dosage given to a person who is already on another SSRI drug. I've never wanted to choke the life out of someone like I did the doctor who prescribed 300mg of Wellbutrin to my mother. She is lucky she is alive and still practicing medicine. :mad2: As soon as WE (via google) figured out it was an overdose and not a stroke that caused psychosis and we took her off the meds, she was 100% better within 2 days and completely back to normal.

These Rx drugs are scary.
I don't trust any doctor now. I do my own research on every new med as to drug interaction, side effect, etc. I have caught numerous dangerous errors. That extends to supplements. I take DIM (diindolylmethane) for prostate. It's a marvelous drug and NIH is examining it now for an anticancer drug for breast and prostate cancer. However, it also has blood thinning qualities just about equal to Plavix. I didn't know this until about a year and half ago. It made one knee operation miserable for me, because I bled like a stuck pig for several days. Now, I know better. I need about ten days off it before surgery. In the end, it's your responsibility...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Move to Colorado you darn blunt toking commie!:) Actually a good question warriors. Could cost the big drug companies some money. Lost profits.
Which is why they have been behind the Partnership for a Drug Free America since its inception

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's a long-held legal principle that voluntarily ingested drugs, including alcohol, cannot be a defense in evading responsibility for an action. I see a bit of a problem when it comes to juveniles who are involuntarily dosed by parents or guardians...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't trust any doctor now. I do my own research on every new med as to drug interaction, side effect, etc. I have caught numerous dangerous errors. That extends to supplements. I take DIM (diindolylmethane) for prostate. It's a marvelous drug and NIH is examining it now for an anticancer drug for breast and prostate cancer. However, it also has blood thinning qualities just about equal to Plavix. I didn't know this until about a year and half ago. It made one knee operation miserable for me, because I bled like a stuck pig for several days. Now, I know better. I need about ten days off it before surgery. In the end, it's your responsibility...
Absolutely a person's responsibility!! I wish that we had known more about this doctor my mom went to. We found out after the fact that her husband has just left her and she was in her own deep depression. Makes me so mad just thinking about it!!

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
It's a long-held legal principle that voluntarily ingested drugs, including alcohol, cannot be a defense in evading responsibility for an action. I see a bit of a problem when it comes to juveniles who are involuntarily dosed by parents or guardians...
This is definitely an issue for me. I've had one situation where I believed the child had been prescribed too much medication and I acted on it. We found out that he had been double dosed on a extended release and a high single dosage of the same drug by the same doctor!! Once we got all of that regulated for him, his life changed for the better. Too many parents rely on the meds so THEY can get through the day. They do not do research and they don't ask questions.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm sure Staci could probably chime in more authoritatively on this than I can but the bottom line when it comes to mental health, mental illness, and mental health medications is that...

...we know next to nothing.

Seriously. No blue font, no joking, no hyperbole.

Many of the most successful - or at least most commonly prescribed - "mental health medications" were originally created with no intention of treating the mental illness(es) for which they are most often prescribed. Medications originally designed to treat various ailments and illnesses from chronic headaches, chronic fatigue, and acne to diabetes and epilepsy were found during clinical trials to have a surprising and significant effect on patients suffering from symptoms x, y, and/or z - which are common to mental illnesses a, b, and/or c. So, new clinical trials were begun to test those medications' effects on patients with those mental illnesses and, voila, an entire new demographic of potential purchasers was opened up to the drug manufacturers.

And yet, for many if not most of these medications, neither the doctors prescribing them nor even the companies who manufactured them can actually tell you why they are having the effect they are having on the people to whom they're being prescribed.

Even more so, they also cannot tell you why the effects are so inconsistent. You can have 10 people with similar genetic backgrounds, e.g., 10 Southern Caucasians, who are all diagnosed with the same mental illness and all present with virtually identical symptoms but, when they are all prescribed and take the same dosage of a particular medication over several weeks or months, they exhibit 5 or 6 different effects from their medication. For example, it may work great for four of them, have no effect on three others, increase (worsen) the symptoms in two others, and result in a fit of psychosis in the tenth. And, just to make things interesting, for two out of the four people for whom it worked great the medication will suddenly stop working at all in about a year.

In many ways, prescribing medications for mental illness is nothing but a crap-shoot.

If we really want to help people, we need to get away from this mindset that a pill can fix it. What we, as a society and especially those in the medical field, need to be concentrating on is education and management:
1) Prescribe medications not in an attempt to "cure" or "suppress" the patient's symptoms but rather just to make the symptoms "manageable" with help;
2) Educate patients on what their illness is, i.e. how it changes them, changes the way they think, in order to help them to be able to recognize the patterns;
3) Educate patients in ways to develop healthy, helpful coping mechanisms so that they can actively - with the preferably temporary assistance of medication - help manage their own symptoms; and, finally,
4) Educate the general public but particularly patients' family and friends properly about mental illness - what it is, what it isn't, etc. - and especially about how to help their affected friends and/or family members with their roles in steps 2 and 3.

Yet we, as Americans and humans, are so arrogant that we believe that we can play 'Go Fish' with the brain chemistry of patients with mental illnesses - and even many without mental illnesses - without causing unforeseen side effects. And, even worse, we often attempt to play this game in a vacuum while pretending that things from a person's diet to other "unrelated" medications they may be taking to even a person's personal, moral beliefs have no effect upon this game.

And as for that last item in the list - a person's personal, moral beliefs - it isn't something at which to simply sneer.

I once witnessed a highly trained psychologist - judging from the many diplomas and certificates hanging on the wall behind her desk - attempting to provide therapy and treatment for a young lady suffering from bouts of depression that had recently attempted suicide who, after finally getting the girl to open up a bit and listening to her talk for a good five or ten minutes about how much she thinks about, worries about, and regrets things she'd done in the past and whether or not her sins have been forgiven, summarily dismiss the girl's comments by saying that she needs to focus on the future instead of the past and that everyone has things in the past that they regret but not to let them affect the future. She was, of course, completely ignoring the fact that, for this girl, without forgiveness for the things she did in the past she has no [eternal] future and that her mindset regarding her sins and forgiveness is constantly adding the weight of guilt to her shoulders. Though, of course, unusual feelings of guilt wouldn't have any effect on depression.

I also once witnessed a highly recommended - by a patient's medical doctor - therapist attempting to help a young man who had recently attempted suicide. This young man was a preacher's son and had always been very religious himself. However, he had lost his best friend to cancer two or three years earlier and he could barely talk about it without crying. To her credit, she was able to get him to actually talk about it which was more than anyone else had been able to do. Then, he sort of blurts out "I'm just so angry!" and rams his fist into the pillow with which he had been fidgeting. She got him to elaborate and he, probably for the first time aloud, explained that he was angry with God and couldn't forgive God for taking his fried from him. He said that he "prayed, believing with all his heart" that God would heal his friend and that the Bible says that "if you pray believing, God will do it." He said he knew it was wrong but he just could stop being angry with God; he felt like God hated him because God broke His promise and didn't heal his friend. At this point, the therapist replied, "So, that's like a faith thing?"

While those are two fairly extreme examples it doesn't take a genius to figure out that when you're dealing with symptoms that affect they way a person thinks, the way they make decisions, etc. that the way they previously or would ordinarily think, the basis upon which they would ordinarily make decisions, etc. can have an affect on both how their mental illness presents itself as well as what treatments, exercises, coping mechanisms, etc. will most likely be successful for this patient.

When it comes to anyone with mental illness but especially children, we far to often over-prescribe and look to a pill as a solution rather than dealing with the real problems in the situation and taking proper steps to avoid the potential pitfalls that lie ahead.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.