Problem with vehicle... Again :)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
It seems like I'm always posting about vehicle problems on here, but that's what I get for not having any vehicles newer than 2004. :eek2:

Anyway, I recently put some Seafoam in my fuel tank. It said to put one ounce per gallon. I put over 16 gallons of gas so I put the entire 16 oz. can in there. Well ever since then my SUV has been driving poorly. I don't know if it's the problem or just a coincidence. It won't accelerate correctly, and if I let it sit for a week without driving the engine sounds horrible for the first mile or so then it goes back to normal.

The kicker was tonight when I attempted to go up a mountain, my RPM's were high, but it wasn't going anywhere. Kinda felt like it didn't want to shift gears or something. I had to pull of to the side and call someone. They told me it sounds like my transmission. Let's hope not. :conf2:

What could be causing this? What are some easy things I can look for?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To my non-technical ear, it does sound like your transmission is slipping. I'm no pro, so maybe there's something in fuel additives that could cause those symptoms, but I'm not aware of it.

If it's a manual transmission, it could be just the clutch. Automatics are more complicated.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
To my non-technical ear, it does sound like your transmission is slipping. I'm no pro, so maybe there's something in fuel additives that could cause those symptoms, but I'm not aware of it.

If it's a manual transmission, it could be just the clutch. Automatics are more complicated.
This vehicle is the automatic. What does slipping mean?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
When you head uphill, or accelerate heavily, you place stress on the engine and transmission. If all is working properly, the stress isn't unusual, and your transmission handles it just fine, and shifts into a lower gear -- higher revs, but more power. So you accelerate or climb right up.

But if your transmission is worn, it can't hold the load from the lower gear. So the stress causes it to seek a lighter load. Which can keep it in a higher gear, which can cause the revving you describe, but deliver no corresponding power.

But I emphasize: I'm not a professional. I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. You really need a trustworthy professional to check it out.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
When you head uphill, or accelerate heavily, you place stress on the engine and transmission. If all is working properly, the stress isn't unusual, and your transmission handles it just fine, and shifts into a lower gear -- higher revs, but more power. So you accelerate or climb right up.

But if your transmission is worn, it can't hold the load from the lower gear. So the stress causes it to seek a lighter load. Which can keep it in a higher gear, which can cause the revving you describe, but deliver no corresponding power.

But I emphasize: I'm not a professional. I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. You really need a trustworthy professional to check it out.

Awe, gotcha. Thanks for explaining that. Never had transmission issues so I didn't know.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This vehicle is the automatic. What does slipping mean?
It feels like even though you're keeping the accelerator at a steady speed, the speed of the vehicle fluctuates. It may feel like it speeds up, then slows down, speeds back up, etc....
The best way to isolate the problem is to run the engine with the transmission in the 'Park' position. If the engine fluctuates while in 'Park' then you have a problem in the engine. If it runs well in 'Park' but not while it's in gear then your problem is either in the transmission or the torque converter. Either way, you're going to need the services of a professional auto mechanic.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
It feels like even though you're keeping the accelerator at a steady speed, the speed of the vehicle fluctuates. It may feel like it speeds up, then slows down, speeds back up, etc....
The best way to isolate the problem is to run the engine with the transmission in the 'Park' position. If the engine fluctuates while in 'Park' then you have a problem in the engine. If it runs well in 'Park' but not while it's in gear then your problem is either in the transmission or the torque converter. Either way, you're going to need the services of a professional auto mechanic.

That is a bummer. My Jeep was just in the shop for a complete brake job so looks like next week this one will be in there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is a bummer. My Jeep was just in the shop for a complete brake job so looks like next week this one will be in there.
Unfortunately, a transmission job is going to be several times what a brake job costs. Your shop may be the exception, but most of them only pull the transmission and farm out the rebuild to another, specialty shop. I don't know where you are, but you might check around for a transmission shop (the posters above are probably right that it is the transmission). Generally stay away from the big national brand names. Too many of them are ripoffs. Depending on model and year, it might also be useful to have your shop, if you trust them, to look around for a used transmission in good condition or an already rebuilt unit, with a decent warranty...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Could be the transmission filter. Usually a screen in the pan below the transmission. If it is clogged the fluid can't circulate. Do you have enough transmission fluid? Check it in the way detailed in your owners manual. Is it clear or dark and burnt smelling?

My Seafoam tale. I had a 1998 F150 with 200,000 miles on it. Took it to a quick oil change place for an oil change. Guy says your engine is sludged up we can clean it for $90. Just an oil change please. I went and bought a can of Seafoam. Poured it in the oil. It worked too good. Cleaned up so much sludge it stopped up the oil filter and the oil pick up in the oil pan. No oil pressure. A day in the shop and $300 later I was driving again.

More info for you Jessica.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/transmission_slipping.htm

Transmission slipping may be caused by several things:
* A low fluid level
* Low internal fluid pressure
* Faulty pressure regulation or control

:)We love trying to help you Jessica. Makes us feel like real men!:)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Unfortunately, a transmission job is going to be several times what a brake job costs. Your shop may be the exception, but most of them only pull the transmission and farm out the rebuild to another, specialty shop. I don't know where you are, but you might check around for a transmission shop (the posters above are probably right that it is the transmission). Generally stay away from the big national brand names. Too many of them are ripoffs. Depending on model and year, it might also be useful to have your shop, if you trust them, to look around for a used transmission in good condition or an already rebuilt unit, with a decent warranty...
Especially ''Mr. Transmission''. Don't go there - ever!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Especially ''Mr. Transmission''. Don't go there - ever!
The last one I had rebuilt was by the brother of the mechanic I used for our family cars. I managed to wrestle the bell housing off myself to give to Jerry and he rebuilt it and brought it back. I tried getting it back on, using a guide spindle my neighbor had turned for me on his metal lathe. I couldn't get it centered. I had to call on Bonnie (guy) and Jerry and the two together managed to get it on. The car was up on blocks, but not on a lift, so we were working on our backs. It turned out that my neighbor was a better electrical engineer than machinist. The guide spindle was off just enough to keep me from centering. A little while later, I was in Advance Auto, and there hung a ready-made spindle, in plastic, for $3...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well I had my dad drive it to see what he thinks. He said the engine is "starving" for fuel and doesn't think it's the transmission. Of course, he isn't a professional mechanic. Anyway, he said to change the fuel filter cause it may be stopped up so I did this morning. It helped for sure, but it still won't accelerate correctly.

What else can I look for before I take it to shop next week?

I think the Seafoam loosened something that caused it to clog it up somewhere.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Never mind......I missed your comment about your RPM's being high.....if it were your fuel filter, that would not be a symptom.

Ignore <<Could be as simple as your fuel filter. A few years back my wife had a GMC mini-van. It started behaving like yours, and as soon as I changed the fuel filter, the problem was gone.>>

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Jessica, you are dead on. When you put the Seafom in your gas tank, you probably loosened a lot of gunk from your fuel system. The key word of course is loosened. . Which means once it's loose,it has to go somewhere! I think it went to the fuel screen that's attached to your fuel pump. Some fuel pumps are attached to the side of the engine and are actuated by the rotation of the engine's cam shaft. Others are mounted elsewhere under the vehicle's chassis and are operated electrically. Whichever you have though, it's going to have to be removed, the fuel lines to and from it disconnected, and the whole fuel system cleaned out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From it's happening when you're accelerating or heading uphill, you may just have water in your tank. Depending on where the pump intake is located (all later model cars have them in the gas tank), the water may be sliding over the intake and cutting off the fuel. I drove Diesel Benz for 30 years and bad diesel was more the rule than the opposite. It became routine upon filling up to pour in a quart of Type II ATF auto transmission fluid and then fill up. The ATF is hydrophyllic and would combine with the diesel and burn. Once, during a diesel crisis, I took one over to Clayton, GA, for a whitewater trip. I had 25 5 gallon jerry cans in the trunk for safety. I got some bad in GA and forgot the ATF. We opted to come back here via I-24 over Monteagle (US 72 was two lane then). Halfway up that steep hill, the engine started cutting out. I knew what was wrong instantly. I managed to nurse it to the top and filled up with ATF on the bottom. Ran like a dream all the way home...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Jessica, you are dead on. When you put the Seafom in your gas tank, you probably loosened a lot of gunk from your fuel system. The key word of course is loosened. . Which means once it's loose,it has to go somewhere! I think it went to the fuel screen that's attached to your fuel pump. Some fuel pumps are attached to the side of the engine and are actuated by the rotation of the engine's cam shaft. Others are mounted elsewhere under the vehicle's chassis and are operated electrically. Whichever you have though, it's going to have to be removed, the fuel lines to and from it disconnected, and the whole fuel system cleaned out.

I thinking a good ole' system cleaning is what it needs like you mentioned. It sure won't hurt it being 11 years old.

Do the Xpress oil change type places do that or will I better off going back to my mechanic who works on my dad's stuff? I didn't know if that is something they would or could do.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
I thinking a good ole' system cleaning is what it needs like you mentioned. It sure won't hurt it being 11 years old.

Do the Xpress oil change type places do that or will I better off going back to my mechanic who works on my dad's stuff? I didn't know if that is something they would or could do.
The Express Oil Change locations generally also have a separate building, but on the same property, for mechanical repairs. They can and will do it, but at a price that's imo well above what you would pay a professional mechanic.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Scratch my comment about clogged fuel filter. Your RPMs wouldn't be holding up or increasing, going up hill or accelerating...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.