Link: Alabama has exclusive rights to Cowboys Classic in 2019 or 2020

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Seems to me, being guaranteed a million more than the opponent would hinder getting certain teams to agree to play us. I really don't care to see us play Oregon like most seem to want. Now, have our 2011 defense face their best offense of this era? That would have been a fun game.

I'd like to see us play Nebraska again. We owe them for 1971.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Seems to me, being guaranteed a million more than the opponent would hinder getting certain teams to agree to play us. I really don't care to see us play Oregon like most seem to want. Now, have our 2011 defense face their best offense of this era? That would have been a fun game.

I'd like to see us play Nebraska again. We owe them for 1971.
Oh, but Bama got them in 1978! They averaged 37 points a game that year and Bama beat them 20-3. Believe it or not, THEIR defense was the TV 'Player of the Game'. :rolleyes: Bama score on their results looks like a typo.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I'm
If I am reading this correctly, Bama would be considered as having the TV rights. If so the Big 12 TV contract would not allow a Big 12 team to be the opponent. Doubt if any of them would be considered anyway.

ND does not play neutral site games. They have the 'Shamrock Series'. Which is why I know about the Big 12 TV contract. Notre Dame learned that the hard way at the outset of their 'Shamrock Series'. As you may know those are nothing more than off site home games whereby ND controls all of the tickets and NBC has the TV rights. They booked the Alamodome in San Antonio in 2009 thinking they could go in there and schedule Texas or aTm or any one of the Big 12 teams. Wound up playing Washington State.

They made the same mistake at the same time in SEC territory. They booked the Citrus Bowl in Orlando for 2010 and 2011 thinking they could come in there and play Bama and/or Florida. They booked the Superdome in New Orleans in 2012 thinking they could play Bama or LSU. SEC TV contract would not allow that to happen in either case.

They got out of the Orlando booking because the Citrus Bowl did not make all of the stadium upgrades required in their contract. They had Baylor scheduled in New Orleans for 2012 but I suppose they bought out of both contracts (game and stadium) because they played Miami in Chicago that year.

Correction: The 2011 booking was in Arlington. ND had Arizona State scheduled for that one but as in 2012 they must have bought out of both contracts because they played Maryland in Landover. Which means the ACC TV contract has no such restrictions and proves what ND intended to do in the other locations. Might be why they aligned themselves with the ACC.
ESPN/ABC would have TV rights, not SEC or Big12. Therefore, it would air on ESPN OR ABC which both conferences have deals.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Need you on the selection committee. The other name to mention is Mike Riley.
If Riley gets them turned around it would a great game! Husker fans travel well and are knowledgable good fans! Tom Osborne may have sold out and recruited/kept thugs on his team to finally win a title but, for the most part the Nebraska program is 1st class.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If Riley gets them turned around it would a great game! Husker fans travel well and are knowledgable good fans! Tom Osborne may have sold out and recruited/kept thugs on his team to finally win a title but, for the most part the Nebraska program is 1st class.
My respect for Nebraska went way up after they basically gave the middle finger to Texas and left the Big 12. It then went into the stratosphere when they fired Bo Pelini. I've wanted us to renew our series with them for a long time. I really hope Saban and Battle consider trying to get them as an opponent in one of these match ups.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I seldom read the comments sections because there are always a handful of designated idiot who ruin the conversation. Some people are too stupid to be alive. You may quote me on that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My respect for Nebraska went way up after they basically gave the middle finger to Texas and left the Big 12. It then went into the stratosphere when they fired Bo Pelini. I've wanted us to renew our series with them for a long time. I really hope Saban and Battle consider trying to get them as an opponent in one of these match ups.
I really don't see Riley as an upgrade from pelini. If anything it is the about the same or possibly a downgrade. Nebraska has the same problem as Tennessee in which there is a lack of in state talent and they have to recruit nationally. Riley will have to invade Oklahoma and Missouri in which all three big coaches have a firm grip on and it's an uphill battle for a coach with Riley's track record. I hope he has success but I'm not convinced that he is a great hire for Nebraska.

As for playing them. I would like it on a neutral field like cowboys stadium. That is mainly because Lincoln is a dump. I would more prefer to do a home and home with Wisconsin because there is a lot more to do and Madison is a great town.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I really don't see Riley as an upgrade from pelini. If anything it is the about the same or possibly a downgrade. Nebraska has the same problem as Tennessee in which there is a lack of in state talent and they have to recruit nationally. Riley will have to invade Oklahoma and Missouri in which all three big coaches have a firm grip on and it's an uphill battle for a coach with Riley's track record. I hope he has success but I'm not convinced that he is a great hire for Nebraska.[/QUOTE

Agree the jury is out on Riley.... He has to get back the pipeline Osborne had into TX and California. The problem is Osborne didn't have to go up against top 10 USC, Oregon and Stanford teams for the Cali kids... Nor did he have aTm in the SEC which brings LSU, aTm and BAMA into the mix. It is going to be a challenge at best...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I'd like to see Bama vs. Stanford.

I'm hoping our same coaches would still be on the sidelines.
FWIW. Looks as if they want no part of Bama.

Individual Game Results of Stanford (vs SEC)

Date Opponent (record)ResultScoreSite
12/31/1978vs.Georgia (9-2-1)W2522@ Houston, TXBluebonnet Bowl
12/31/1977vs.Louisiana State (8-4)W2414@ El Paso, TXSun Bowl
11/6/1965@Tulane (2-8)W160
9/21/1962@Tulane (0-10)W63
9/23/1961vs.Tulane (2-8)W97
1/1/1935vs.Alabama (10-0)L1329@ Pasadena, CARose Bowl
1/1/1927vs.Alabama (9-0-1)T77@ Pasadena, CARose Bowl

Date Opponent (record)ResultScoreSite
12/31/1978vs.Georgia (9-2-1)W25-22@ Houston, TX Bluebonnet Bowl
12/31/1977vs.Louisiana State (8-4)W24-14@ El Paso, TX Sun Bowl
11/6/1965@Tulane (2-8)W16-0
9/21/1962@Tulane (0-10)W6-3
9/23/1961vs.Tulane (2-8)W9-7
1/1/1935vs.Alabama (10-0)L13-29@ Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl
1/1/1927vs.Alabama (9-0-1)T7-7@ Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agree the jury is out on Riley.... He has to get back the pipeline Osborne had into TX and California. The problem is Osborne didn't have to go up against top 10 USC, Oregon and Stanford teams for the Cali kids... Nor did he have aTm in the SEC which brings LSU, aTm and BAMA into the mix. It is going to be a challenge at best...
I think people tend to think that taking a job at Nebraska is like taking a job at Alabama in which tradition carries a substantial amount of weight. Nebraska doesnt have the luxury that Bama has with a great in state talent. Near 80% of the population of Nebraska live in Omaha or Lincoln which are 45 minutes apart. Most of west Nebraska is prarie and po dunk towns. Osborne was a great recruiter and he invaded several states to get the the recruits he needed to build a dynasty. But most of his career he was losing to Switzer at Oklahoma. He did however have a chance to tie Miami in 83 to secure a national championship, but did the honorable thing and played for the win. He got punked by Johnson in 88. It took Osborne 21 years to get a national championship. I think he is great, but I think it shows how hard it is to be great at Nebraska even with an all time great coach when offenses werent near as complicated as they are today.

To be honest, I dont see Nebraska doing anything. They might get to the Big 10 championship this year just because they get their main competition ( whisky and Minnie) in October, but I just dont see them coming back until they get a great recruiter as a coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.