Scarbinsky: Alabama shows the country how to schedule "like a champion."

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Re: Scarbinsky: Alabama shows the country how to schedule "like a champion."

Well then accept we would rarely be champions because teams like Oregon have these schedules

and tOSU has a schedule like this

I understand that people want these dream matchups, but if you fill a block with lets say USC,UCLA,OU,Oklahoma then whos to say an oppurtunistic team like Auburn would see that and schedule Kansas,Utah,Air Force, and Citadel and steal a championship. FCS teams serve a purpose and I can deal without all OOC games going towards fan service matchups as long as we get one big OOC game a year.
Im glad I'm not an osu or ducks fan no bang for the buck in either schedule. I understand what you and many others are saying. But I would argue playing 2014 Western Carolina or 2011 Georgia Southern were just as exhausting and physical as playing a P5 wouldve been and less fun to watch. Whenever these teams play you close, and they occasionaly will, you're going to take a hit in the media and human poll. You still have to play the cupcakes I get it. But as a fan I like the better matchups. Having to play 3 cupcakes a year is to many for any team.

Which opening game where you more pumped up for 2009 Va Tech or 2010 San Jose St?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Im glad I'm not an osu or ducks fan no bang for the buck in either schedule. I understand what you and many others are saying. But I would argue playing 2014 Western Carolina or 2011 Georgia Southern were just as exhausting and physical as playing a P5 wouldve been and less fun to watch. Whenever these teams play you close, and they occasionaly will, you're going to take a hit in the media and human poll. You still have to play the cupcakes I get it. But as a fan I like the better matchups. Having to play 3 cupcakes a year is to many for any team.

Which opening game where you more pumped up for 2009 Va Tech or 2010 San Jose St?
First, did Bama take a hit in the polls or by the media for that Georgia Southern game? I don't recall it because everyone realized why Bama had problems - GSU had the option game perfected.

Second, no one is saying not to have a big time game. We're just trying to point out a team can't survive playing 8 SEC teams and 3 or 4 P5 teams. That's just a team setting itself up for a mediocre season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama

Second, no one is saying not to have a big time game. We're just trying to point out a team can't survive playing 8 SEC teams and 3 or 4 P5 teams. That's just a team setting itself up for a mediocre season. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This type of scheduling worked in the BCS system. Im not so sure these safe games are good for a team in the playoff era. There are 4 spots and 5 conference champs sometimes 6 with a Big 12 co-champ. Someones getting left out SOS outside of your conference will be important moving forward. We dont have to schedule Oregon or OSU. But we could schedule a common opponent say Maryland or Washington or add a 9th SEC game like Saban wants to.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This type of scheduling worked in the BCS system. Im not so sure these safe games are good for a team in the playoff era. There are 4 spots and 5 conference champs sometimes 6 with a Big 12 co-champ. Someones getting left out SOS outside of your conference will be important moving forward. We dont have to schedule Oregon or OSU. But we could schedule a common opponent say Maryland or Washington or add a 9th SEC game like Saban wants to.
Oregon, fsu, and tOSU defeat that arguement. All scheduled = to lesser cream puffs along with a far weaker conference schedule than any legit team in the sec. If you want the NCAA to go to only power five team schedule then prepare yourself for auburn scheduling Clemson, Kansas, Utah, and Indiana while we are stuck with Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, and MSU. Playoff era will not allow more than two losses unless it goes to 8 teams. So either say hello to a mid tier to a just below playoff bowl over playoffs if you truly want all these big matchups just because it will satisfy fan service. Would I like to see bama play all those teams??? Sure I would but I also accept that loading up an ooc schedule with an already daunting sec schedule is going to cost us titles so I'm down for one and maybe a mediocre fbs team but that's about it for one year.

Also the bcs worked actually against weak schedules. While bama in 2011 had a weaker strength of schedule than okie lite, it was okie life's loss to Iowa st that cost them. Had they lost to aTm they would've most likely been in against lsu. Also in 04 the bcs favored ou's game against bowling green over auburn's game against the citadel. Very rarely, if at all, did the bcs screw up after 03.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Oregon, fsu, and tOSU defeat that arguement.
After I quoted those SoS numbers, it's hard to see why anyone would still be making the argument that tougher schedules is the way to go. Even with the Big 12, they had weaker schedules, yes, but had they won their games they'd have been in the playoff as well. SoS only matters really as a tie breaker of sorts. All those SEC teams that played brutal schedules, what did they have to show for it besides a lot of injuries? No one was going to put a two loss SEC team in, even though their SoS was crazy high. The debate actually centered around whether or not a second one loss SEC team could get in, and the mere fact that despite demonstrably higher SoS that was even a debate shows how little SoS actually means.

You have a valid point to about the BCS. The computers factored in SoS and forced that to be a component, the committee doesn't have the obligation to the same degree. SoS matters, sure, but not nearly as much... the SoS we're actually hearing some other conferences talk about is one they made up, as you illustrated, in which playing a team from a particular conference automatically carries more weight than playing a team from another conference, which is a joke. Even when it comes to the SEC, are we to believe that playing Kentucky is supposed to be a tougher win than Boise St?

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Saban understands that Bama fans want to see games vs big time opponents. Theres nothing to gain from playing the likes of Georgia Southern or the Western Carolina Catamounts.
On a personal note , those games were always family games. I could afford to take all the little ones that wanted to go to a game . One year against Utah St, a game Brodie got hurt, I think I took 15 people.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Unless the NCAA bans them, the FCS games aren't going away. The FCS teams rely on these games to keep the program afloat, so they will continue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.