Wal Mart to Stop Selling Confederate Flag Merchandise

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
This whole movement is only about earning political points and making people feel better in the wake of Charleston. It will have no impact on the racial climate in this country. Last week no one cared. Next week no one will care.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Since all this started Amazon's sale of the confederate flag has jumped 2,300%. I guess you can still get one somewhere should you desire one. Which means they went from selling 0 of them to a lot.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...rate-flag-sales-up-at-amazon-by-2300-percent/

Edit:
I live in Winston Co. One thing Ive always found ironic is the confederate flag's role here in the Free State of Winston. People here fly them regularly not realizing that their county supported the union and had staunch unionists. Some sources say they left the confederacy and/or the state of AL. Other sources says they decided to remain neutral. I know and understand the history of the "succession" and the issues surrounding it. But to call yourself the "free state of Winston" and also celebrate confederate heritage seems odd to me. The latter is a big deal here. In Double Springs, there is a "dual destiny" statue which explains it. It is a statue with both flags represented. Sorry for my rambling just something Ive thought about since moving here over a decade ago.

Here's a link briefly explaining what Im talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Winston And here is a more detailed one: http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1850

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
you know that the Swastica is an ancient symbol meaning a lucky or auspicious object. Go to Asia and you see them everywhere in ancient Budhist, Hindu and Jainist temples. Then the Nazi's took it as their symbol and it no longer means what it did. Same thing here. The battle flag, whatever it meant once, is now a symbol of hate, oppression and frankly backwards ignorance. Want to blame someone don't blame those who are fighting for its removal now, blame the Klan and the backwards idiots that fought against civil rights in the 50's and 60's they destroyed the battle flag
Should it fly at federal institutions? No

Should it fly at State buildings? No

Should it be on a State's flag? for me personally No

Is it a sign of racism? from a point of view, but who can determine which point of view is right?

Or better yet judging everyone who sports a confederate flag a racist or a lesser person. If you do that you are no better than the people that are racist. My issue is not whether or not should the flag be taken down because it clearly needs to be taken down. My issue is people judging people who have one. like it, hate it, or indifferent to it it is free speech. Personally Im not too fond of the flag, but I have more issue on people burning American flags,picketing soldiers funerals, and heckling returning vets from war in the name of free speech than I do with Joe flying a confederate or bonny blue flag at his home just because he likes the look of it. But which gets more attention and which is less talked about?

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Good stuff there rolltide_21. I've always heard of the Winston Free State. Had some ancestors there I think.
The problem is that counties are creatures of states. States create counties. Counties do not create states.
The Federal government is also the creature of the peoples of the states. The peoples of the States created the Federal government. The Federal government did not create the States, despite what that guy from Illinois said.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The problem is that counties are creatures of states. States create counties. Counties do not create states.
The Federal government is also the creature of the peoples of the states. The peoples of the States created the Federal government. The Federal government did not create the States, despite what that guy from Illinois said.
By Golly me and my homestead will secede if I want to. I found links interesting friend Tidewater. Does everything have to be a darn civics lesson!:tongue:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
b
Since all this started Amazon's sale of the confederate flag has jumped 2,300%. I guess you can still get one somewhere should you desire one. Which means they went from selling 0 of them to a lot.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...rate-flag-sales-up-at-amazon-by-2300-percent/

Edit:
I live in Winston Co. One thing Ive always found ironic is the confederate flag's role here in the Free State of Winston. People here fly them regularly not realizing that their county supported the union and had staunch unionists. Some sources say they left the confederacy and/or the state of AL. Other sources says they decided to remain neutral. I know and understand the history of the "succession" and the issues surrounding it. But to call yourself the "free state of Winston" and also celebrate confederate heritage seems odd to me. The latter is a big deal here. In Double Springs, there is a "dual destiny" statue which explains it. It is a statue with both flags represented. Sorry for my rambling just something Ive thought about since moving here over a decade ago.

Here's a link briefly explaining what Im talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Winston And here is a more detailed one: http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1850
based on my almost 20 years as a free stater, i noticed the same thing.

winston's got a lot going on what with the free state thing, the first 911 call, some other stuff ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Its not suprising because the KKK sometimes uses it, but another possibility is that it could be there before they started using it.

The ironic thing is that now Americans are almost against the practice of Nazism (which rightfully so IMO), but in the 30s there were many that supported them and didnt have a problem with Germany. America agreed with the Nazi practice of eugenics and even implemented it itself.

Here are some companies that directly supportedthe Nazis
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-american-companies-that-aided-the-nazis.php

eugenics
http://www.uvm.edu/~lkaelber/eugenics/

Point is America is not all good and not all bad, but biased history tries to make it seem all americans in the 30s opposed Nazism; and all Northerns opposed slavery while all southerners are for it.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://thinkprogress.org/culture/20...ke-amazon-pulls-confederate-flag-merchandise/

Amazon stops sale of rebel flags as does EBay

But no more. Less than a day after Gov. Nikki Haley declared the Confederate flag had no business flying above the South Carolina State House, Walmart, the biggest retailer in the United States, announced that Confederate flags would no longer be for sale at its stores or on its website. Sears, too, is pulling the Stars and Bars from the shelves of Sears and K-Mart stores (the former owns the latter).
By Tuesday midday, eBay hopped on the bandwagon. In an email to CNN, eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff said, “We have decided to prohibit Confederate flags, and many items containing this image, because we believe it has become a contemporary symbol of divisiveness and racism.”
Amazon was absent from this movement for most of the day on Tuesday. If for some reason you still were in the market for a new Confederate flag before about 2:45 p.m. today, you could’ve headed on over to Amazon and treated yourself to one of the hundreds of Confederate flags and other regalia for sale.
Amazon has just confirmed the Confederate flag merchandise will be removed from the site.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm more upset by WalMart stopping the sale of all but "hunting" ammunition - how that's to be determined, with AR-15 ammo being used for home defense and hunting, IDK. I really don't care what banner people choose to display privately. It's really only as a public or quasi-governmental use that I find it offensive. It crippled Ole Miss recruiting for years, a process which they've only been able to reverse by shoveling tons of booster money into the problem in recent years. A good enough subsidy, and you can walk past them hanging from most private houses, no matter your color...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://thinkprogress.org/culture/20...ke-amazon-pulls-confederate-flag-merchandise/

Amazon stops sale of rebel flags as does EBay

But no more. Less than a day after Gov. Nikki Haley declared the Confederate flag had no business flying above the South Carolina State House, Walmart, the biggest retailer in the United States, announced that Confederate flags would no longer be for sale at its stores or on its website. Sears, too, is pulling the Stars and Bars from the shelves of Sears and K-Mart stores (the former owns the latter).
By Tuesday midday, eBay hopped on the bandwagon. In an email to CNN, eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff said, “We have decided to prohibit Confederate flags, and many items containing this image, because we believe it has become a contemporary symbol of divisiveness and racism.”
Amazon was absent from this movement for most of the day on Tuesday. If for some reason you still were in the market for a new Confederate flag before about 2:45 p.m. today, you could’ve headed on over to Amazon and treated yourself to one of the hundreds of Confederate flags and other regalia for sale.
Amazon has just confirmed the Confederate flag merchandise will be removed from the site.
Not entirely true. Amazon still sells the Georgia and Mississippi state flags.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Related question. What about the states (Mississippi & Georgia) that have flags patterned after Confederate flags and Florida and Alabama who have similar style flags (Im assuming the red Xs are related)?
Well Mississippi has the rebel flag canton, so clearly it is inspired by the civil war.

Alabama and Florida, however, display the St. Andrew's Cross, and have nothing to do with the Rebel flag except if the rebel flag was itself taken from St. Andrews Cross. In fact, Florida and Alabama are more inspired by one of the Spanish royal flags, the Burgundy Cross. (Would put a pic but can't on my phone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This whole movement is only about earning political points and making people feel better in the wake of Charleston. It will have no impact on the racial climate in this country. Last week no one cared. Next week no one will care.
Exactly. Lame move.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well Mississippi has the rebel flag canton, so clearly it is inspired by the civil war.

Alabama and Florida, however, display the St. Andrew's Cross, and have nothing to do with the Rebel flag except if the rebel flag was itself taken from St. Andrews Cross. In fact, Florida and Alabama are more inspired by one of the Spanish royal flags, the Burgundy Cross. (Would put a pic but can't on my phone).

here is the st Andrews

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
here is the st Andrews
Who designed the Alabama flag? Do we know the intent of that person or persons? Is it the bars without the stars? I would like to know because I have one hanging in my garage. If there is a racial intent, then I'll have to take it down. I have NEVER thought there was, but I'm open for discussing it.

The reason it's there is because of my love for my homeland. So, it's hanging in the state of Texas. Remember! My Home's in Alabama, no matter where I lay my head!

I also have the Crimson Tide flag with the Script A in the field and the crimson/white stripes. Now, I would be all for having this flag as the state flag, but I'm sure Barners would NOT go for that!

The USA flag, made in the USA, is in my yard unless it rains. My Crimson Tide banner remains in my yard 24/7/365 except in leap years!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Who designed the Alabama flag? Do we know the intent of that person or persons? Is it the bars without the stars? I would like to know because I have one hanging in my garage. If there is a racial intent, then I'll have to take it down. I have NEVER thought there was, but I'm open for discussing it.

The reason it's there is because of my love for my homeland. So, it's hanging in the state of Texas. Remember! My Home's in Alabama, no matter where I lay my head!

I also have the Crimson Tide flag with the Script A in the field and the crimson/white stripes. Now, I would be all for having this flag as the state flag, but I'm sure Barners would NOT go for that!

The USA flag, made in the USA, is in my yard unless it rains. My Crimson Tide banner remains in my yard 24/7/365 except in leap years!
this might help
History - The Alabama State Flag was authorized by the Alabama Legislature on February 16, 1895, by Act number 383. According to the Acts of Alabama, 1895, the state flag was to be a crimson cross of St. Andrew on a field of white. The bars forming the cross were not to be less than six inches broad and were to extend diagonally across the flag from side to side. The act did not designate a square or a rectangular flag. Over the years there has been much confusion and speculation over the shape of the Alabama state flag . Prior to publishing the 1915 Alabama Official and Statistical Register, Dr. Thomas Owen, director of the Alabama Department of Archives and History interviewed individuals who had been around at the time that the bill was introduced. He concluded that the flag was intended to “preserve in permanent form some of the more distinctive features of the Confederate battle flag, particularly the St. Andrew’s cross” Owen then made the conclusion that the flag should be square, based on the “regulations governing the Confederate battle flag.” However, these regulations which applied to one version of the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag were not always followed by flag manufacturers during the Civil War and rectangular St. Andrew’s Cross battle flags were common in the Army of Tennessee. Furthermore, the earliest images of the state flag published soon after the adoption of the flag all depicted a rectangular flag.
In 1987 the Alabama Department of Archives and History asked the Office of the Alabama Attorney General to investigate and issue an official opinion on the shape of the state flag (link to http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8700238.pdf). The opinion established that the modern Alabama state flag should be rectangular in shape.​

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.