Link: Stewart Mandel: Why We All Might be Underrating Alabama and Nick Saban

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

For months I've been of the belief that Nick Saban's Alabama juggernaut is due for a rare off-year in 2015. (And by off-year, I mean 10-2). Yes, the Tide seemingly reload at will. But between their uncertainty at quarterback; the loss of not only Heisman finalist Amari Cooper but their top three receivers; and an underwhelming returning secondary, this is easily Saban's least heralded team in years.

But then Bruce Feldman and I conducted our mock draft this week of our 2015 College Football Playoff dream teams, where I found myself unexpectedly picking four likely Crimson Tide standouts -- defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson, offensive tackle Cam Robinson, freshman receiver Calvin Ridley and punter J.K. Scott. Meanwhile, Bruce took linebacker Reggie Ragland and tried to take center Ryan Kelly before I overruled him (he wanted to list Kelly as a guard). And two other 'Bama players, running back Derrick Henry and tight end O.J. Howard, barely missed my cut.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As long as CNS is here, we'll be in the hunt. We've got question marks, but so does everyone else. And even those that have few question marks, may end up with several after the season begins.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I want to see the draft results where you have Calvin Ridley on your team but passed on Henry.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I want to see the draft results where you have Calvin Ridley on your team but passed on Henry.
Round 1 selections

Round 2 selections

Mandel explains why he took Ridley:

40) Stewart: I'm starting to look like an Alabama homer, taking my fourth Tide player to fulfill the freshman requirement. It's Alabama WR Calvin Ridley, best in the country this past recruiting season. 'Bama needs a new No. 1 guy to step up, and that someone might be a freshman.
They had to select at least one Freshman, so Stewart went with one of the top recruits in the nation.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I remember another season where Bama and coach Saban were outlasted and came back on to lose to an Urban Meyer team that went on to win the national championship. Will lightning strike again in the same place this year? Who knows but I am excited to find out! ;)

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I'll go a step further and hope we're picked as the 'dog in a couple of big games. Instant motivation. Doesnt happen often lately, but I like coming in under the radar.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
When will folks start to realize that it's not about talent when it comes to gauging Alabama? Alabama has had the talent every year since 2008 to be the SEC and NCAA Champions. The difference in the years we won and we didn't win: attitude of the team, leadership and mental toughness aka MTAQ. We have no idea if the team this year will have those intangibles. We know the team has the requisite talent..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I hope the players are reading all these articles about how this team won't be as good as previous teams...
Me too and I think they are. I bet Cochran and the other coaches are telling them this too. We do have some question marks but I think we will be around at the end of the year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I disagree that your talent has been consistent since Saban arrived. Perhaps across the board, but not in the trenches. But this season looks like it might have you back on top in that most critical area.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In 2003, LSU began the year as the pre-season #15 and won the national championship, Saban's first. Auburn and Georgia were both ranked higher and Auburn was the pre-season favorite to win the SEC (and actually had a first-place vote for number one).

In 2008, we were unranked in the pre-season poll and #1 by November. Didn't win it all but expectations were quite low.

In 2009, we started at number 5 and the assumption was that we would win the West and lose to Florida - btw, that game was the last time we were an underdog to anyone.

From 2010-2014 (five seasons) we started every year at 1 or 2. We finished with two national titles and two bowl game losses.

I figure we're top ten material at the start and who knows from there? I hope we start slow but win and start peaking in November and blow through the stratosphere in December.

2009 was really the last time we were NOT expected to win. It'd be nice to have the same result this year.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I disagree that your talent has been consistent since Saban arrived. Perhaps across the board, but not in the trenches. But this season looks like it might have you back on top in that most critical area.
I hope you are right (I'm hopeful). A great OL and DL covers for many other weaknesses.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Enjoyed the article. We are obviously not going to be a dog to anyone, it'll be about making those critical plays in the big games. All of our championship runs have had good fortune. Some of the rolls come from a relentless attitude. Champions always have it.

I think with our defense, punting, and hopefully strong run game we have the ability to be a physically dominant team. I'm thinking bama 09 and 11 or lsu 11 (hopefully with better qb play lol)

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I hope you are right (I'm hopeful). A great OL and DL covers for many other weaknesses.
Well, after the 4th QTR in the Sugar Bowl, there's no doubt about that. Ohio State Alabama'ed us. I see major focus and improvement in the "nasty upfront" department.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
When will folks start to realize that it's not about talent when it comes to gauging Alabama? Alabama has had the talent every year since 2008 to be the SEC and NCAA Champions. The difference in the years we won and we didn't win: attitude of the team, leadership and mental toughness aka MTAQ. We have no idea if the team this year will have those intangibles. We know the team has the requisite talent..

I was actually watching the 2008 Bama - UGA game earlier today. The 2008 team is one of my favorite teams, and I think we have lost the discipline and drive that team and the 09 team had. I don't think there was anyone on that team that you could say, "if only they had played to their potential". Hopefully being "under the radar" this year, or as much as Alabama can be under the radar, will bring some of that back. We haven't really made anybody quit on us in a few years.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I was actually watching the 2008 Bama - UGA game earlier today. The 2008 team is one of my favorite teams, and I think we have lost the discipline and drive that team and the 09 team had. I don't think there was anyone on that team that you could say, "if only they had played to their potential". Hopefully being "under the radar" this year, or as much as Alabama can be under the radar, will bring some of that back. We haven't really made anybody quit on us in a few years.

Yep. Not since Notre Dame in 2012..

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL

Yep. Not since Notre Dame in 2012..

I don't know. I'd say LSU's offensive line quit towards the end of the game in 2013. I still smile when I think of Mettenberger crawling off the surface of BDS like a slug.:)

Last edited:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Hopefully this team is hungry and ready to end the NC drought. If Bama does not win it all this year there are some players from Saban's 2013 signing class that could leave without a NC ring (juniors leaving early). Up to this point everyone that Saban has recruited has left with at least one NC ring. Not counting of course players that left/transferred/kicked off team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.