Question: Kiss your 1st amendment goodbye?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
First Sackerlina, Now Mississississippi is about to remove their association with the rebel flag. This combined with that idiot Piers Morgan calling for any white person who uses the N-word to be jailed, it appears that the extreme left liberal base has waged an all out war on our 1st amendment. Freedom of (un-offensive) speech is apparently the standard for our constitution. Is that the liberal agenda? No guns, no free speech, no income disparity, etc etc. Someone wake me up.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The state government taking down the flag is their business. They are not prohibiting anyone from flying it on private property.

Piers Morgan (and you and everyone else) has a first amendment right to call for anything he wants to be outlawed. Doesn't mean they will listen to him.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Feels bad. Nah, you can't just say whatever you feel like anymore. Not without seriously jepordizing your career, financial network, relationships, or sometimes risking your life.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First Sackerlina, Now Mississississippi is about to remove their association with Ole Glory. This combined with that idiot Piers Morgan calling for any white person who uses the N-word to be jailed, it appears that the extreme left liberal base has waged an all out war on our 1st amendment. Freedom of (un-offensive) speech is apparently the standard for our constitution. Is that the liberal agenda? No guns, no free speech, no income disparity, etc etc. Someone wake me up.
Wait... South Carolina and Mississippi are no longer associating themselves with the flag of the United States of America? Guess we'll have Civil War number two in a few months.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Wait... South Carolina and Mississippi are no longer associating themselves with the flag of the United States of America? Guess we'll have Civil War number two in a few months.
is that the union flag? let me hit that edit button really quick

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Feels bad. Nah, you can't just say whatever you feel like anymore. Not without seriously jepordizing your career, financial network, relationships, or sometimes risking your life.
But you can't get arrested. If you start using racial slurs at work or announce you are a member of the KKK you might get fired, but that is your company's doing, not the government.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
But you can't get arrested. If you start using racial slurs at work or announce you are a member of the KKK you might get fired, but that is your company's doing, not the government.
Good point. Free speech doesn't equal speech without consequences in the private sector as you have shown. You have the right to say whatever but there may be consequences (not from the government) that you better be prepared to face (i.e., the loss of a job, relationships, etc.).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If people are allowed to burn and desecrate the American Flag, in which many men and women fought and died for in order to preserve freedom, all in the name of free speech then why should anything associated with the Confederacy, Nazism, or any other hateful ideal be limited just because the media or a group finds it offensive? Personally I think if you give into racism or hate then you are wrong, but it is your right to do so.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree that the government isn't imposing sanctions. And I agree that free speech doesn't mean freedom from non-governmental consequences of that speech.

But suppose someone is carrying a rainbow flag in a parade, and a guy in a KKK robe punches his lights out because he finds homosexuality so abhorrent. Assault & battery, with hate crime aggravating circumstances. National press descends on the poor city unfortunate enough to have hosted the parade.

Now reverse it. A guy in a Klan robe is carrying a Nazi flag in a parade. A gay guy finds it so abhorrent that he punches the Klansman's lights out. You think he'll be arrested, let alone prosecuted? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

The government may not punish any speech. But it dang sure won't protect all of it. In that respect, yes, the First Amendment is compromised. Has been for some time.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree that the government isn't imposing sanctions. And I agree that free speech doesn't mean freedom from non-governmental consequences of that speech.

But suppose someone is carrying a rainbow flag in a parade, and a guy in a KKK robe punches his lights out because he finds homosexuality so abhorrent. Assault & battery, with hate crime aggravating circumstances. National press descends on the poor city unfortunate enough to have hosted the parade.

Now reverse it. A guy in a Klan robe is carrying a Nazi flag in a parade. A gay you finds it so abhorrent that he punches the Klansman's lights out. You think he'll be prosecuted? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

The government may not punish any speech. But it dang sure won't protect all of it. In that respect, yes, the First Amendment is compromised. Has been for some time.
My college history teacher always said "You have the right to free speech, but not free speech without consequence", but the problem is the government is selective on what is tolerable and not.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Touchy subject, but I am for freedom of speech no matter what it is, even offensive. I should have the right to mess you up though if you called me anything other than my name. Kinda glad that flag though is on its way out.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
And the US flag will be right behind it. Someone will soon find a reason to be offended by it and from then on it's all downhill. Since it no longer stands for "The land of the Free and the home of the Brave", we might as well kiss what's left of this country goodbye.
It's all over but the crying..

And the US flag will be right behind it. Someone will soon find a reason to be offended by it and from then on it's all downhill. Since it no longer stands for "The land of the Free and the home of the Brave", we might as well kiss what's left of this country goodbye.
It's all over but the crying..
That's another subject for another day, but you are on to something. I still believe that it should someone's freedom of speech to have it. National, State, City government should ONLY have the national, state, and city flag, that's it.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
That's another subject for another day, but you are on to something. I still believe that it should someone's freedom of speech to have it. National, State, City government should ONLY have the national, state, and city flag, that's it.

Ditto

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The state government taking down the flag is their business. They are not prohibiting anyone from flying it on private property.

Piers Morgan (and you and everyone else) has a first amendment right to call for anything he wants to be outlawed. Doesn't mean they will listen to him.
What our government does is 100% our business.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Geez, some people are so narrow minded. My God, people. This has nothing to do with a flag, Confederate, US or otherwise. It has everything to do with the rights we as individuals hold and the rights we endow to those government entities that represent us.

Freedom isn't free. It has to be defended, protected and nourished. And from time to time, we have to take up our arms and fight off the wolves.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
"This has nothing to do with a flag, Confederate, US or otherwise. It has everything to do with the rights we as individuals hold and the rights we endow to those government entities that represent us."

Exactly.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Geez, some people are so narrow minded. My God, people. This has nothing to do with a flag, Confederate, US or otherwise. It has everything to do with the rights we as individuals hold and the rights we endow to those government entities that represent us.

Freedom isn't free. It has to be defended, protected and nourished. And from time to time, we have to take up our arms and fight off the wolves.
Shhh. Let them learn for themselves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.