Alabama Governor Orders Confederate Flag Removed

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I will completely jump on board with the removal of the confederate flag once America outlaws the picketing of soldiers funerals by Westboro Baptist Church. WBC does this under free speech. So if they have a right to symbolize hatred freely then why doesnt everyone else. The biggest difference is politicians and activists know that everyone is against them and there is no press in destroying a small cult in Wichita Kansas.
Actually, the biggest difference - the one that matters - is that WBC isn't a government entity.

No one is talking about banning the flag, just removing it from government buildings.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Actually, the biggest difference - the one that matters - is that WBC isn't a government entity.

No one is talking about banning the flag, just removing it from government buildings.
I think removing it from government buildings shouldve happened a long time ago. Im more referencing the uncontrolable hysteria that the shooting and people becoming aware of the CSA flag being on Capitol grounds has spawned. You have companies banning it from sites,Dukes of Hazards taking it off the car, and a boat load of other things of the such. It is like after Columbine happened people tried to put all the blame the blame on violent video games instead of questioning the kids upbringing.

Take it down and leave it down from the govt buildings.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
i don't even know what you are talking about now.

if you are trying to say that the klan, the ccc, the states fighting the feds to maintain segregation, and various other white supremacists didn't/don't use the confederate flag as a symbol of their movements, you are wrong.
Are you saying that we should remove all symbols of movements that we disagree with? Or just this one symbol? I'd love a simple answer -- but i'm guessing if you hold to form, I'll get a shuck and jive answer.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Forgive me for not doing my own research, but immediately prior to the shooting in SC which government buildings were flying the Confederate flag?
I havent got the foggest clue. Im just saying govt buildings shouldnt have it, but that doesnt mean no one cant have one.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is probably as good a time as any to quote the inscription on the SC Veterans' Monument (for what it is worth):

THIS MONUMENT
PERPETUATES THE MEMORY
OF THOSE WHO
TRUE TO THE INSTINCTS OF THEIR BIRTH,
FAITHFUL TO THE TEACHINGS OF THEIR FATHERS,
CONSTANT IN THEIR LOVE FOR THE STATE,
DIED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTY;
AND
HAVE GLORIFIED A FALLEN CAUSE
BY THE SIMPLE MANHOOD OF THEIR LIVES,
THE PATIENT ENDURANCE OF SUFFERING
AND THE HEROISM OF DEATH
AND WHO,
IN THE DARK HOURS OF IMPRISONMENT,
IN THE HOPELESSNESS OF THE HOSPITAL,
IN THE SHORT SHARP AGONY OF THE FIELD
FOUND SUPPORT AND CONSOLATION
IN THE BELIEF
THAT AT HOME THEY WOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

MAY THE STRANGER
WHO MAY IN FUTURE TIMES
READ THIS INSCRIPTION
RECOGNIZE THAT THESE WERE MEN
WHOM POWER COULD NOT CORRUPT,
WHOM DEATH COULD NOT TERRIFY,
WHOM DEFEAT COULD NOT DISHONOR,
AND LET THEIR VIRTUES PLEAD
FOR JUST JUDGMENT
OF THE CAUSE IN WHICH THEY PERISHED.
LET THE SOUTH CAROLINIAN
OF ANOTHER GENERATION
REMEMBER
THAT THE STATE TAUGHT THEM
HOW TO LIVE AND HOW TO DIE
AND THAT FROM HER BROKEN FORTUNES
SHE HAS PRESERVED FOR HER CHILDREN
THE PRICELESS TREASURE OF THEIR MEMORIES.
TEACHING ALL WHO MAY CLAIM
THE SAME BIRTHRIGHT
THAT TRUTH COURAGE AND PATRIOTISM
ENDURE FOREVER.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Beautiful sentiment and as clear as u can make it but many who might read could/would never understand much less care. The modern South Carolinian or "southerner" included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This is probably as good a time as any to quote the inscription on the SC Veterans' Monument (for what it is worth):

THIS MONUMENT
PERPETUATES THE MEMORY
OF THOSE WHO
TRUE TO THE INSTINCTS OF THEIR BIRTH,
FAITHFUL TO THE TEACHINGS OF THEIR FATHERS,
CONSTANT IN THEIR LOVE FOR THE STATE,
DIED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTY;
AND
HAVE GLORIFIED A FALLEN CAUSE
BY THE SIMPLE MANHOOD OF THEIR LIVES,
THE PATIENT ENDURANCE OF SUFFERING
AND THE HEROISM OF DEATH
AND WHO,
IN THE DARK HOURS OF IMPRISONMENT,
IN THE HOPELESSNESS OF THE HOSPITAL,
IN THE SHORT SHARP AGONY OF THE FIELD
FOUND SUPPORT AND CONSOLATION
IN THE BELIEF
THAT AT HOME THEY WOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

MAY THE STRANGER
WHO MAY IN FUTURE TIMES
READ THIS INSCRIPTION
RECOGNIZE THAT THESE WERE MEN
WHOM POWER COULD NOT CORRUPT,
WHOM DEATH COULD NOT TERRIFY,
WHOM DEFEAT COULD NOT DISHONOR,
AND LET THEIR VIRTUES PLEAD
FOR JUST JUDGMENT
OF THE CAUSE IN WHICH THEY PERISHED.
LET THE SOUTH CAROLINIAN
OF ANOTHER GENERATION
REMEMBER
THAT THE STATE TAUGHT THEM
HOW TO LIVE AND HOW TO DIE
AND THAT FROM HER BROKEN FORTUNES
SHE HAS PRESERVED FOR HER CHILDREN
THE PRICELESS TREASURE OF THEIR MEMORIES.
TEACHING ALL WHO MAY CLAIM
THE SAME BIRTHRIGHT
THAT TRUTH COURAGE AND PATRIOTISM
ENDURE FOREVER.
With the current events, does this mean that Truth Courage and Patriotism will NOT endure Forever? Might as well sand blast that inscription off that monument. After all, TRUTH, Courage, Patriotism, Integrity are no longer relevant?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Are you saying that we should remove all symbols of movements that we disagree with? Or just this one symbol? I'd love a simple answer -- but i'm guessing if you hold to form, I'll get a shuck and jive answer.....
i guess you un-blocked me :)

nope, i am saying that the confederate flag has no business flying at a state building (other than a museum)

if you or anyone else wants to fly it or display it on your own property, have at it.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Now it's "don't fly the flag at a state building other than a museum". Interestingly enough, it would seem that's what Alabama and SC have been doing the past several years. Not sure why so many are confused about where the flag has been flying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.