Alabama Governor Orders Confederate Flag Removed

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm so glad all of this is happening, I feel much safer now. That flag has killed way to many people, the world is now safe again!

This country is so dumb. The flag is not the problem, the criminals are the problem but, let's keep fighting the flag! Now that flags are falling, has justice been served for those who died in the actual crime? Nope. If that stupid boy didn't have the flag, would he have still killed anyone? Probably.

People are fighting the wrong fight here. Forcing one culture to abandon their heritage, even if you despise that heritage, will not improve race relations, it will only make them worse.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why does everyone hate the CSA? Thus country was founded by slaveholding traitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
From Gray's link:

The Confederate battle flag was unceremoniously removed from the Alabama state Capitol grounds Wednesday morning following an order from Gov. Robert Bentley (R).

"We are facing some major issues in this state regarding the budget and other matters that we need to deal with. This had the potential to become a major distraction as we go forward. I have taxes to raise, we have work to do. And it was my decision that the flag needed to come down.”

A distraction? :rolleyes:
Frankly, I didn't know he had the authority to order it's removal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Frankly, I didn't know he had the authority to order it's removal.
Why not? Unlike SC, where their presence was mandated by the legislature, they were placed there by executive order in the first place. Folsom took them down. Patterson left them down. Wallace put them back up and no governor since, until Bentley, has taken them down. In the present atmosphere, I'd be surprised if the legislature ordered the replacement of them...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
This flag flap is yet another step towards a faceless, homogeneous, sterile, anything goes society that will be reflected more and more in our government and it's policies. Not the first time this has happened, nor the last. It will not end well.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This flag flap is yet another step towards a faceless, homogeneous, sterile, anything goes society that will be reflected more and more in our government and it's policies. Not the first time this has happened, nor the last. It will not end well.

The flag flap is a distraction. What is the left hand doing?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Might as well eschew the flag. It stands for independence, strength, and a refusal to allow others to dictate how to do things....qualities Americans lost some time ago. It obviously has no place in society today, especially in the land of the permit and home of the offended.

Next up... the American flag.

Divide everyone by race, religion, culture, sexual preference, and income. It's the only way the liberal left can thrive. Keep 'em all fighting and then conquer.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's weird how some refuse to accept that the confederate flag means totally different things to different people. To some people it IS a symbol of hatred and oppression, and not accepting that is willful ignorance.

My parents clearly remember integration here in the south, and the confederate flag was used prominently by many who supported segregation. Acting like that doesn't matter when the flag is flown on government buildings is silly.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It's weird how some refuse to accept that the confederate flag means totally different things to different people. To some people it IS a symbol of hatred and oppression, and not accepting that is willful ignorance.

My parents clearly remember integration here in the south, and the confederate flag was used prominently by many who supported segregation. Acting like that doesn't matter when the flag is flown on government buildings is silly.
I understand that. In the case of South Carolina it is a veterans' flag (square ANV flag) on a veterans' monument. Not that I expect it will matter much.

What about a first national on the veterans monument?

That is kind of what georgia did in order to avoid the governor keeping his campaign promise to allow the people of Georgia to vote on the 1956 state flag. Th legislature adopted this instead:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I understand that. In the case of South Carolina it is a veterans' flag (square ANV flag) on a veterans' monument. Not that I expect it will matter much.
Yah, I don't think the other flags would be found as offensive, honestly. Some folks will figure out that's what they stand for and make it an issue, but the 'bars and stars' are the real issue.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yah, I don't think the other flags would be found as offensive, honestly. Some folks will figure out that's what they stand for and make it an issue, but the 'bars and stars' are the real issue.
Trivial point, but the "stars and bars" was the name of the First National (pictured above). It was replaced because on the battlefield of 1st Manassa's, if there was no wind, it was difficult to distinguish from the Stars and Stripes. So Gus Beauregard asked William Porcher Miles to have a new battle flag made.
Shelby Foote, also of Memphis, noted that southerners let "yay-hoos" use that flag during the struggle over desegregation and they permanently lost the battle of its meaning.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Trivial point, but the "stars and bars" was the name of the First National (pictured above). It was replaced because on the battlefield of 1st Manassa's, if there was no wind, it was difficult to distinguish from the Stars and Stripes. So Gus Beauregard asked William Porcher Miles to have a new battle flag made.
Shelby Foote, also of Memphis, noted that southerners let "yay-hoos" use that flag during the struggle over desegregation and they permanently lost the battle of its meaning.
Excellent backstory information. Thanks for sharing it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.