Google Announces Plans to Build $600 Million Center in Jackson County, Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Google announced plans today to build a $600 million data center in northeast Alabama’s Jackson County, creating up to 100 jobs at a state-of-the-art facility designed for efficiency and powered by renewable energy.

The data center will act as a hub for Internet traffic, operating in a network that keeps the Google search engine and company products such as Gmail and YouTube up and running for global users 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The project was announced this afternoon at a press conference at the Widows Creek Power Plant on the banks of the Tennessee River in Jackson County, where the data center will be constructed.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Question is...will vince vaugn and owen wilson be assigned there after winning the internship competition. Or better yet will Tiya Sircar?? :eek:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Up to 100 jobs, huh? Wonder if the Jackson County courthouse has a Confederate monument out front. Maybe they could work a deal to get 10 more jobs if they remove it. Maybe 20 jobs for naming the county after a Jackson other than Andrew.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Up to 100 jobs, huh? Wonder if the Jackson County courthouse has a Confederate monument out front. Maybe they could work a deal to get 10 more jobs if they remove it. Maybe 20 jobs for naming the county after a Jackson other than Andrew.
I bet it won't be anywhere near 100. It doesn't take too many ppl to run a data enter that large.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So if they have data centers in South Carolina, Oklahoma & Iowa, why do they need one in Alabama? I'm more curious than anything why they need more data centers.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Up to 100 jobs, huh? Wonder if the Jackson County courthouse has a Confederate monument out front.
No Civil War veterans' monument but they do have a couple of World War I cannons.
Maybe they could work a deal to get 10 more jobs if they remove it. Maybe 20 jobs for naming the county after a Jackson other than Andrew.
The naming of the county may have been an issue.
The people of Benton County, Alabama had their county renamed after county namesake, Thomas Hart Benton, took some positions that the people of the county found objectionable. They renamed the county "Calhoun."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
No Civil War veterans' monument but they do have a couple of World War I cannons.

The naming of the county may have been an issue.
The people of Benton County, Alabama had their county renamed after county namesake, Thomas Hart Benton, took some positions that the people of the county found objectionable. They renamed the county "Calhoun."
Which is too bad because he seemed to be a man of high moral character.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Which is too bad because he seemed to be a man of high moral character.
Who, Benton? Like all men, he was problematic. He had his good points and his warts. I believe the name change was due to some pronunciamento by Benton in the late 1850s which indicated he had abandoned his State's Rights orthodoxy, so they adopted (or more accurately got the Alabama legislature to adopt) the name of the poster child for State's Rights.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.