NCAA Proposes New NBA Draft Rule to Allow Early Entrants Back in School

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

College underclassmen will now have the opportunity to return to school even after declaring for the NBA draft, if a new proposal sponsored Wednesday by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee is adopted by the membership in January.

The decision by the committee Wednesday in Indianapolis could be a watershed moment for college underclassmen and their coaches if players opt to return to school. Committee chair Dan Guerrero, who is also the UCLA athletic director, told ESPN that if the proposal is implemented it would be in place for the 2016 draft.

Under the proposal, which was a coordinated effort by the NCAA, the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the NBA, underclassmen would be allowed to attend the Chicago pre-draft combine in May, get evaluated by team personnel and given a true reading on their draft status. The players would then be able to decide if they wanted to stay in the draft or return to school. They couldn't sign with an agent, though.
My only concern about the proposal comes from the affect on the late signing period. This year's signing period started on April 15. The proposal states:

The new proposal would allow underclassmen to wait up to 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA draft combine in Chicago. The combine was May 13-17 this season. That means underclassmen would have until the last week of May to withdraw from the NBA draft.
I fear you'll have coaches looking to sign recruits to replace the guys expected to leave early to only have that player(s) return because of the response by NBA teams. Then what? Does the coach have to run a player off to make room for the new recruits?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Click

My only concern about the proposal comes from the affect on the late signing period. This year's signing period started on April 15. The proposal states:

I fear you'll have coaches looking to sign recruits to replace the guys expected to leave early to only have that player(s) return because of the response by NBA teams. Then what? Does the coach have to run a player off to make room for the new recruits?
I agree. Surely they thought of that. Surely...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.