Former UGA QB Jacob Park Tells Joe Schad He's Visiting Alabama This Weekend

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
I'm not sure that I agree with CrimsonForce above about our process of recruiting and developing QB's. Under Saban, our quarterbacks have performed at a high level. It is true that some QB recruits haven't panned out, but that happens everywhere. With Coach Saban, and our tremendous success, I don't think you can ever say that his recruiting or developing any position would leave a lot to be desired. Just my opinion. Roll Tide!!!​

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Exactly!!!!!

I look at the QB depth like this:

Alec Morris -- clearly a guy Mac thought he could develop but otherwise just a career backup
Cooper Bateman -- highly touted recruit that didn't get a scholarship offer from Southern Cal
David Cornwell -- very, very talented QB that has plenty of upside
Blake Barnett -- another very talented QB, but the first one of Kiffin's picking

All of the QB transfer talk makes me believe Kiffin wants more of his guys because he only has one on campus ATM. He didn't bother offering Bateman, who was the #4 pro-style QB in the nation and not too far away from Southern Cal. Connecting those dots, I'm not sure how confident Kiffin is in Bateman as a possible starter. Therefore, he only has two guys (Cornwell and Barnett) that he believes can lead the team.

Remember, he wanted Blake Sims when he was in Knoxville. He already knew what Blake could be.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Former UGA QB Jacob Park Tells Joe Schad He's Visiting Alabama This Weekend
BTW, I have nothing against Jacob Park. Just seems like our process of recruiting and developing QBs leaves a lot to be desired..

I'm not sure that I agree with this. Under Saban, our quarterbacks have performed at a high level. It is true that some QB recruits haven't panned out, but that happens everywhere. With Coach Saban, and our tremendous success, I don't think you can ever say that his recruiting or developing any position would leave a lot to be desired. Just my opinion. Roll Tide!!!​
Maybe a better way to say it would be roster management (which stems from recruiting and development) of the QB position. Just last spring our QBs included: Blake Sims, Luke Del Rio, Alec Morris, Cooper Bateman, Parker McLeod, David Cornwell and Jake Coker. I understand we had a few of those transfer out but it seems like having 7 QBs at one time is a bit excessive..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I'm not sure that I agree with CrimsonForce above. Under Saban, our quarterbacks have performed at a high level. It is true that some QB recruits haven't panned out, but that happens everywhere. With Coach Saban, and our tremendous success, I don't think you can ever say that his recruiting or developing any position would leave a lot to be desired. Just my opinion. Roll Tide!!!​
This.

Alabama QBs, uber-talents like Wilson, McElroy, McCarron and Sims have only been apart of 11 losses the last 7 years. That's an amazing stat that can't be argued. It always seems to get resolved, and we just win. Until that stops happening, I am not going to quake with fear about it. I can't argue with the results up to this point. How much worse can the current overall talent be than Wilson, McElroy or Sims? And with Kiffin developing them? Not to pump too much sunshine, but it's gonna be OK. Let's step back from the ledge, just because Bama talks to some of these QB transfers. Big whoop.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Maybe a better way to say it would be roster management (which stems from recruiting and development) of the QB position. Just last spring our QBs included: Blake Sims, Luke Del Rio, Alec Morris, Cooper Bateman, Parker McLeod, David Cornwell and Jake Coker. I understand we had a few of those transfer out but it seems like having 7 QBs at one time is a bit excessive..

So, what is your magic number? Three of four? If so, those few guys really need to be high-quality, don't you think? I'd rather have too many than not enough. All day long. And on that, last year and the year before folks were hot and heavy on the "We have too may running backs" kick. How is that working out for us?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Our QB position has turned into a complete circus at this point. Bama has reached out to just about every QB transfer that comes available. Starting to get a little ridiculous considering how many QBs we have on the roster/scholarship. Seems like there needs to be a complete overhaul of how we evaluate and/or develop the QB position..
Yeah, I like how LSU does it a lot better.
Alec Morris
Anyone who knows anything about the situation knows Alec Morris was an afterthought who has only stuck around because of his loyalty to the team and the likelihood he'd never start at the FBS level. He wasn't a mistake so much as Alabama needed at least one QB in the class and he was willing. He's been a good contributor and teammate, but if you think he's a viable option at QB you're mistaken. But, I seem to recall you being a heavy Sims basher (if my memory is correct), so may be you just had unrealistic expectations when it came to Morris or you just have trouble evaluating the situation.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So, what is your magic number? Three of four? If so, those few guys really need to be high-quality, don't you think? I'd rather have too many than not enough. All day long. And on that, last year and the year before folks were hot and heavy on the "We have too may running backs" kick. How is that working out for us?
Running back position is a different story. If you read my posts I never said anything about a magic # of QBs. The issue isn't the # of QBs it's the process of evaluation and development IMO. I never said that Bama is terrible at evaluating and developing QBs but I think the process could be improved. If there was confidence in the QB evaluation and development process I don't think it would be necessary to reach out to Everett Golson, Braxton Miller, Jacob Park, Jake Coker, Luke Del Rio, etc.

I'm not trying to be negative about the situation just stating my opinion. I feel like I've done that so I'll leave it at that..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Running back position is a different story. If you read my posts I never said anything about a magic # of QBs. The issue isn't the # of QBs it's the process of evaluation and development IMO. I never said that Bama is terrible at evaluating and developing QBs but I think the process could be improved. If there was confidence in the QB evaluation and development process I don't think it would be necessary to reach out to Everett Golson, Braxton Miller, Jacob Park, Jake Coker, Luke Del Rio, etc.

I'm not trying to be negative about the situation just stating my opinion. I feel like I've done that so I'll leave it at that..
That's fine, but it's a negative opinion. "The issue isn't the # of QBs it's the process of evaluation and development IMO. I never said that Bama is terrible at evaluating and developing QBs but I think the process could be improved." Haha, um, OK. The only time in the last 7 years that we were not in the hunt for the MNC was 2010 with McElroy, and that team vastly underachieved. I grade the QBs by wins. Who's had the best luck churning out winning QBs recently, consisitently, outside of Bama? Ohio State? Who else? Now, I said consistently.

And, I know you didn't say anything about a magic number. That's why I asked you for a number. Seven is too high, so I am asking what a "good" number is. RB is not a different story. It is a football position. Numbers matter in all football positions. Am I missing something? Alls I'm saying is, if the RB numbers situation was happening with the QBs, what would your comment be then? We need numbers, and those numbers need to be quality talent. And as you said, they need to be developed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This.

Alabama QBs, uber-talents like Wilson, McElroy, McCarron and Sims have only been apart of 11 losses the last 7 years. .
But only Mccarron was recruited as a true qb under saban. And with the exception of Sims, all the others were game managers who lived off a great defense and a dominant running game. I think that is more or less the point when people say we dont recruit and devlop qbs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That's fine, but it's a negative opinion. "The issue isn't the # of QBs it's the process of evaluation and development IMO. I never said that Bama is terrible at evaluating and developing QBs but I think the process could be improved." Haha, um, OK. The only time in the last 7 years that we were not in the hunt for the MNC was 2010 with McElroy, and that team vastly underachieved. I grade the QBs by wins. Who's had the best luck churning out winning QBs recently, consisitently, outside of Bama? Ohio State? Who else? Now, I said consistently.

And, I know you didn't say anything about a magic number. That's why I asked you for a number. Seven is too high, so I am asking what a "good" number is. RB is not a different story. It is a football position. Numbers matter in all football positions. Am I missing something? Alls I'm saying is, if the RB numbers situation was happening with the QBs, what would your comment be then? We need numbers, and those numbers need to be quality talent. And as you said, they need to be developed.
Saying a process can't be improved because we have been in the national title hunt just about every year is irrational logic. It's akin to saying a successful business should stop innovating..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
But only Mccarron was recruited as a true qb under saban. And with the exception of Sims, all the others were game managers who lived off a great defense and a dominant running game. I think that is more or less the point when people say we dont recruit and devlop qbs.
Maybe, but here is the definition of develop:
1. grow or cause to grow and become more mature, advanced, or elaborate.

By that definition, McCarron seems to be least mature since leaving the program, but he was almost a 3-time champ on the field. My point is, if you ain't growing, you ain't winning. It's called Built By Bama. When people say that we don't develop QBs, it's just a tad silly. I wouldn't judge how many QBs that have stuck in the NFL as our litmus test for development capabilities. What was their development at Bama? That's what us fans look at. Are we gonna say that Trent Richardson did not develop well while at Bama, just because he's struggled in the NFL?? That's silly...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
He wasn't a mistake so much as Alabama needed at least one QB in the class and he was willing. He's been a good contributor and teammate, but if you think he's a viable option at QB you're mistaken.
Much worse was said about Sims........

I think Saban and co. know we're a stud QB away from being a dominant offense. If there is room and a kid can compete, learn the plays and has all the skill needed to help lead the team it's really a win for us.

Does it affect the other QB's? Not if they are confident they can compete with the best. If he can't win the job he can push the others to study film and the playbook. Work to stay in a position to get the number 1 spot.

Sims didn't roll over when we got the "Heisman in Waiting QB Transfer" from FSU. He went thru a QB camp and developed what he was good at. It allowed Alabama to put up the highest offensive output ever. I thought They were wrong and 73 was the year but we couldn't have done it without Sims.

We have competition at the QB spot. I think the coaches will trim the fat and allow the cream to rise. I just hope it happens before we need it badly.

One more edit. I want better than Sims, but had he known the playbook as well as a 5th year QB, who knows what numbers he may have put up.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Saying a process can't be improved because we have been in the national title hunt just about every year is irrational logic. It's akin to saying a successful business should stop innovating..
True, whoever said that should be flogged. Whoever said that...

Since you left the numbers argument alone, it's just the recruitment/development done by our staff that dislike.

You have solutions that are better than the rigorous process that they already have in place? Which is: getting to know the potential recruit as much as they possibly can; watch and evaluate them throw vs. other elite QBs; watch tons of film on each recruit; etc...and that's before we even get them on campus. And even then, recruiting is still a crapshoot. No school in America gets it right with every single guy in each class.

Then they assimilate the new recruit into the overall program. And whether it's been with Coach Mac, Nuss, or Kiffin, I mean, you can only work with the guys that you evaluate. What else do you want, I guess, is what I'm trying to get at? Along with the extremely rigorous and thorough process that's already in place? Taking into account that Saban has apparently had the staff go through improving the evaluation process even more.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
True, whoever said that should be flogged. Whoever said that...

Since you left the numbers argument alone, it's just the recruitment/development done by our staff that dislike.

You have solutions that are better than the rigorous process that they already have in place? Which is: getting to know the potential recruit as much as they possibly can; watch and evaluate them throw vs. other elite QBs; watch tons of film on each recruit; etc...and that's before we even get them on campus. And even then, recruiting is still a crapshoot. No school in America gets it right with every single guy in each class.

Then they assimilate the new recruit into the overall program. And whether it's been with Coach Mac, Nuss, or Kiffin, I mean, you can only work with the guys that you evaluate. What else do you want, I guess, is what I'm trying to get at? Along with the extremely rigorous and thorough process that's already in place? Taking into account that Saban has apparently had the staff go through improving the evaluation process even more.
Umm, you said that. Your response to my assertion that the QB evaluation and development process could be improved was verbatim, " Haha, um, OK. The only time in the last 7 years that we were not in the hunt for the MNC was 2010 with McElroy, and that team vastly underachieved." So do you want your flogging now or later? :)

If you don't think that our process of evaluation, recruitment and development of QBs can be improved then we just disagree on that..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Umm, you said that. Your response to my assertion that the QB evaluation and development process could be improved was verbatim, " Haha, um, OK. The only time in the last 7 years that we were not in the hunt for the MNC was 2010 with McElroy, and that team vastly underachieved." So do you want your flogging now or later? :)

If you don't think that our process of evaluation, recruitment and development of QBs can be improved then we just disagree on that..
Haha, yes, but how is that saying that we can't improve the process? I'm simply saying that the process that we've had over the years...hasn't been that bad. And it's been pretty dang thorough.Thought it was plain. Guess not.

It just irks me that people make comments on here as if, in Saban's tenure, that recruiting and development have been a weak spot. That's just laughable to me, considering the amount of time and energy that have been poured into those areas under his leadership. I thought his recent charge to the staff on being even more thorough in their evaluations was even more proof of that fact. And I thought that our QB development, for the systems that we have run, have been pretty decent, all the way up til last year. Who saw that coming with Blake Sims? And yes, like everything in life, it can improve. :tongue:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Haha, yes, but how is that saying that we can't improve the process? I'm simply saying that the process that we've had over the years...hasn't been that bad. And it's been pretty dang thorough.Thought it was plain. Guess not.

It just irks me that people make comments on here as if, in Saban's tenure, that recruiting and development have been a weak spot. That's just laughable to me, considering the amount of time and energy that have been poured into those areas under his leadership. I thought his recent charge to the staff on being even more thorough in their evaluations was even more proof of that fact. And I thought that our QB development, for the systems that we have run, have been pretty decent, all the way up til last year. Who saw that coming with Blake Sims? And yes, like everything in life, it can improve. :tongue:
I guess an underlying issue is that all the past QB success that we've had has been enabled by a strong running game and a very good defense. But, today's game is vastly different from that in 2009 when GMcElory led us to an undefeated SECCG and NC. We can't just have a QB sit back there and manage the game and rely on the defense anymore. We need a QB who can make plays and take over the game and win. IMO, you get a QB like that by having a very proficient system of talent evaluation and development. I'm not saying that GMcElroy was a bad QB by any means but I just think it will be tougher for us to win with a QB like that with how the game is played by the current rules. So, yes, CNS has done a fabulous job of winnings games and championships since he has been at the Capstone. However, that formula for success is going to have to be tweaked and I think it starts with how we evaluate and develop the most important position on the field, the QB..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
OK, one more, and I'm done. :)

Considering the SEC is the strongest conference from top to bottom, let's compare our QB development situation with our colleagues:

West:
Auburn - Actually not too shabby. Some of their folks think Jeremy Johnson may be turn out to be better than Marshall. We shall see.
Mississippi State - Ask them next year, when they're scrambling for a replacement for Prescott.
Ole Miss - They're hoping like heck that hired gun Chad Kelly works out. What's that tell ya?
LSU - A mess. They're hoping that Brandon Harris grows up in a hurry. They recently brought in a Purdue transfer LOL.
Texas A&M - A WIP. They miss them some Johnny Football.
Arkansas - They have a QB? Oh, he's the guy that hands off. My how things have turned since Mallett graduated.

East:
Missouri - Maty Mauk is the best they got. Let that sink in.
Georgia - They're so excited about Ramsey and Bauta, that they brought in the guy that lost the job at UVA (Lambert).
Tennessee - They're so good at evaluating, that Worley had to get hurt for world-beater Dobbs to see the field last year. This should get better though.
South Carolina - I'm embarrassed for Spurrier at this point. He's had a walk-on for the 3rd or 4th guy for the last several year. Yes, Spurrier.
Kentucky - Meh. One of their better QBs transferred out. We shall see, as Stoops' regime is a WIP.
Vandy - An absolute mess, tranwreck, dumpster fire of a QB situation.

Did I miss anyone?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I guess an underlying issue is that all the past QB success that we've had has been enabled by a strong running game and a very good defense. But, today's game is vastly different from that in 2009 when GMcElory led us to an undefeated SECCG and NC. We can't just have a QB sit back there and manage the game and rely on the defense anymore. We need a QB who can make plays and take over the game and win. IMO, you get a QB like that by having a very proficient system of talent evaluation and development. I'm not saying that GMcElroy was a bad QB by any means but I just think it will be tougher for us to win with a QB like that with how the game is played by the current rules. So, yes, CNS has done a fabulous job of winnings games and championships since he has been at the Capstone. However, that formula for success is going to have to be tweaked and I think it starts with how we evaluate and develop the most important position on the field, the QB..
Hey, I'm in agreement. And I think Cornwell and Barnett (and they were hoping Bateman) are steps in that direction, of having playmakers for QBs. We'll get there. I don think they are trying to evolve with the game. I really do. The defense is going through the same gyrations right now, to keep up with defending the fast pace. Saban is having to evolve, like all great coaches do when times change.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
OK, one more, and I'm done. :)

Considering the SEC is the strongest conference from top to bottom, let's compare our QB development situation with our colleagues:

West:
Auburn - Actually not too shabby. Some of their folks think Jeremy Johnson may be turn out to be better than Marshall. We shall see.
Mississippi State - Ask them next year, when they're scrambling for a replacement for Prescott.
Ole Miss - They're hoping like heck that hired gun Chad Kelly works out. What's that tell ya?
LSU - A mess. They're hoping that Brandon Harris grows up in a hurry. They recently brought in a Purdue transfer LOL.
Texas A&M - A WIP. They miss them some Johnny Football.
Arkansas - They have a QB? Oh, he's the guy that hands off. My how things have turned since Mallett graduated.

East:
Missouri - Maty Mauk is the best they got. Let that sink in.
Georgia - They're so excited about Ramsey and Bauta, that they brought in the guy that lost the job at UVA (Lambert).
Tennessee - They're so good at evaluating, that Worley had to get hurt for world-beater Dobbs to see the field last year. This should get better though.
South Carolina - I'm embarrassed for Spurrier at this point. He's had a walk-on for the 3rd or 4th guy for the last several year. Yes, Spurrier.
Kentucky - Meh. One of their better QBs transferred out. We shall see, as Stoops' regime is a WIP.
Vandy - An absolute mess, tranwreck, dumpster fire of a QB situation.

Did I miss anyone?
This is a good discussion and you made several good points. However, I would be more apt to compare our QB evaluation and development with other top programs across the country rather than the entire SEC because there are only a few teams in the SEC that are on par with Alabama in talent. So if you compare our QB talent evaluation and development to that of other top programs such as Oregon, Ohio St, Baylor, TCU, FSU, etc, I would think that we have some room to improve..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.