Former UGA QB Jacob Park Tells Joe Schad He's Visiting Alabama This Weekend

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This is a good discussion and you made several good points. However, I would be more apt to compare our QB evaluation and development with other top programs across the country rather than the entire SEC because there are only a few teams in the SEC that are on par with Alabama in talent. So if you compare our QB talent evaluation and development to that of other top programs such as Oregon, Ohio St, Baylor, TCU, FSU, etc, I would think that we have some room to improve..

Everyone and and everything can always be improved but you originally seemed to imply that Saban was doing an inadequate job primarily based on considering transfers. That is false. Saban has done a great job of evaluating and developing to his strategy for winning. Last year was a perfect example where he brought in an OC, to the consternation of most, to change the direction of the program to include a more mobile QB. And he did it with surprising if not shocking raw material. Btw, Jacob Park, who Bama pursued with fervor out of HS, fits that profile perfectly. Bama's offensive and QB evaluation and development are in great, though imperfect, hands.

QB and OL are generally the hardest positions to evaluate because they involve so much more than athletic ability, things you cannot see, so much that is mental. It is very difficult to project. No one comes close to always getting it right, Spurrier has missed on multitudes. I would guess that many more than half of QBs signed never start. Malzahn, who is good, signed Kodi Burns and Clint Mosely. Burns who was athletic, big, bright and articulate could not perform when the lights came on - who could know ?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So if you compare our QB talent evaluation and development to that of other top programs such as Oregon, Ohio St, Baylor, TCU, FSU, etc, I would think that we have some room to improve..
You just called TCU and Baylor top programs. Yeah, don't compare Alabama to LSU and Florida, compare them to TCU and Baylor because? At this point you're just trying to name what ever programs you can come up with what you feel have done a better job with quarterbacks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is a good discussion and you made several good points. However, I would be more apt to compare our QB evaluation and development with other top programs across the country rather than the entire SEC because there are only a few teams in the SEC that are on par with Alabama in talent. So if you compare our QB talent evaluation and development to that of other top programs such as Oregon, Ohio St, Baylor, TCU, FSU, etc, I would think that we have some room to improve..
With the change of high school offenses, Alabama doesn't have as large a selection of QB recruits like Oregon. That's one reason Bama has had problems while other schools haven't struggled. Also, probably another reason Alabama has changed the type QBs it recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You just called TCU And Baylor top programs. Yeah, don't compare Alabama to LSU and Florida, compare them to TCU and Baylor because? At this point you're just trying to name what ever programs you can come up with what you feel have done a better job with quarterbacks.
I was referring to recent history. Have you ever heard of Andy Dalton or Robert Griffin III? If you don't think TCU and Baylor are top programs, recently, you haven't been paying attention. They are both producing Heisman winning and 1st round/NFL QBs on a regular basis. Why we would compare our program to that of Kentucky or Arkansas as the standard is the better question.

I'm sure you're going to respond with, well would you rather have Heisman QBs or championships. Of course I would rather have championships. Just pointing out that, even though most on here would never admit it, some programs are better than Bama in some areas. And IMO, QB evaluation and development is one of those areas..

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
With the change of high school offenses, Alabama doesn't have as large a selection of QB recruits like Oregon. That's one reason Bama has had problems while other schools haven't struggled. Also, probably another reason Alabama has changed the type QBs it recruits.

I agree and that's a good point.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You just called TCU and Baylor top programs. Yeah, don't compare Alabama to LSU and Florida, compare them to TCU and Baylor because? At this point you're just trying to name what ever programs you can come up with what you feel have done a better job with quarterbacks.
To be fair Dalton, Boykin, RG3, and Petty are pretty big names. I think this arguement comes more from rival's views on AJ and Gmac. They both were game managers in most opinions and that is a fair arguement. To your average Bama Alabama fan AJ was better than every SEC qb during his time as a starter, but to just about everyone else it would probably be Manziel,Murrary, and Mett. I really think that is the better arguement than does CNS develop and recruit qbs.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think it's fair to consider the situation with Park. First, he was recruited by Alabama, in fact Alabama is one of two teams (the other being Georgia) listed as having used two guys to recruit him. So, Alabama offered him, they went after him, that much is apparent.

Secondly, Greyson Lambert, an experienced quarterback is transferring to Georgia, and Jacob Eason the #1 QB committed to Georgia. So, it's not much of a stretch that Park might have wanted to go to Alabama, considered the situation to be a bit better at Georgia (he was recruited by Nuss) and now things have changed at both places. I don't think that says anything bad about the kid.

A lot of people want to kind of bash transfers and I get that it's preferable if they just come to Alabama in the first place, but Alabama has guys transfer out and usually we wish them well. Guys like Dee Hart, or Phillip Ely, there's reasons, we get that and so on. But why on earth should Alabama only have guys transfer out and not have anyone transfer in? There's a signing limit, remember, so transfers lost are a -1 to the limits and you have to get some transfers in or else you'll end up shorthanded.
i hear what you're saying and agree with you, but living in UVA/VT country i see a lot of the cavs, and lambert is about as average as you can get...and that's UVA average.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Considering that every QB who has started at Bama has made NFL rosters, especially in view of the raw material that Coach Saban inherited, how could anyone question that Saban does not develop QBs ? That JPW and GMac combined for 7 years on NFL rosters is a tremendous testament to the staffs ability to develop QBs. And AJ, the first QB signed and developed by Saban and staff will, barring injury, start. And AJ was drastically molded to abandon his gunslinging and his loose canon of a tongue. And then last year - I don't think most realize how much hand-holding was required to make Blake into an all conf type QB.

I continue to be amazed at the "dullness" exhibited by a few in the Bama fanbase. Bama's record for developing effective QBs to fit Saban's ever changing strategy for winning is tremendous. Thus to call the Bama QB situation a "complete circus" because they're considering a transfer that they pursued last year and perfectly fits their new QB profile is a total misread of Bama's coaching prowess.

That's it for me, I've said enough 😊.

Last edited:

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
We aren't the only ones with a "problem." Oregon went and got an FCS transfer, and FSU had to get Golson. And as someone already said, the situation isn't much better at most other SEC schools.

I just laugh when people say we have a major dilemma recruiting/developing QBs. For the last six years, we've had decent to great QB play. You would be hard pressed to find many places that can say that. Since Saban's 2nd year, we haven't had a team where the QB wasn't good enough.

Sure, we've had a lot of busts, but that happens everywhere. Unlike other positions, only one QB plays. So naturally, you're gonna have some guys who transfer/quit or fail to develop. Not to mention how hard it is to evaluate high school QBs. That and OL are the toughest transitions from HS to college.

I don't know where the QB situation is. Maybe it sucks as bad as some are suggesting. But if I had to guess, it will be pretty good this year--as it usually is--good enough to win a championship.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I was referring to recent history. Have you ever heard of Andy Dalton or Robert Griffin III? If you don't think TCU and Baylor are top programs, recently, you haven't been paying attention. They are both producing Heisman winning and 1st round/NFL QBs on a regular basis. Why we would compare our program to that of Kentucky or Arkansas as the standard is the better question.
I've been trying to stay out of this, but....................

I think what you really meant to say is Texas HS produce really good QBs. Let's not forget our GMac is from the Dallas area, as is Matt Stafford. (There are probably others, but I will claim a senior citizen moment.)

TCU and Baylor benefit from being located in a talent-rich area. Just because they are having success, in recent years, does not mean they are an elite program. Sustain that, for the next 25 years, and I might re-think that.

(Translation: I am as sick of hearing about these 2 places, same as most everyone back home is sick of hearing how great API is, and Gus is a genius. I would almost want to go back to hearing about how great Bevo U and Zero U are. As much as I was sick of hearing about those two.)

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Oregon, Baylor and to a lesser extent, TCU: plug-and-play systems. They bring up guys through their system. Bama brings guys up through their system. Just a different system. Still development going on.
Ohio State is actually a good example of recruiting really talented guys consistently. Their "problem" this year is an example. But they have developed guys in college over the years, even if they didn't set the NFL on fire.
FSU - Hmmm, who was the guy before Winston? I can't remember. And didn't they just bring in a transfer? Oh yeah, Golson.

And if Dalton and RGIII are your bright shining examples of success in the NFL, for comparison's sake, well, good luck with that.

We can compare all day. But yes, we can always improve.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Oregon, Baylor and to a lesser extent, TCU: plug-and-play systems. They bring up guys through their system. Bama brings guys up through their system. Just a different system. Still development going on.
Ohio State is actually a good example of recruiting really talented guys consistently. Their "problem" this year is an example. But they have developed guys in college over the years, even if they didn't set the NFL on fire.
FSU - Hmmm, who was the guy before Winston? I can't remember. And didn't they just bring in a transfer? Oh yeah, Golson.

And if Dalton and RGIII are your bright shining examples of success in the NFL, for comparison's sake, well, good luck with that.

We can compare all day. But yes, we can always improve.
FSU had Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, and Jameis Winston. All 1st round picks. And the guy who couldn't get PT there transferred to us and has a good shot at starting for Bama this year..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
FSU had Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, and Jameis Winston. All 1st round picks. And the guy who couldn't get PT there transferred to us and has a good shot at starting for Bama this year..
Ponder and Manuel, huh? There's a couple of NFL superstars right there.

So is one of your major qualificiations for a guy to have developed well in college, to be an NFL 1st round draft pick? Cuz you keep throwing it out there. And they guys you're throwing out there are not exactly elite. But they were good college quarterbacks. So, yeah, FSU has been decent at developing guys.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Don't forget trickett if you are talking about fsu.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Ponder and Manuel, huh? There's a couple of NFL superstars right there.

So is one of your major qualificiations for a guy to have developed well in college, to be an NFL 1st round draft pick? Cuz you keep throwing it out there. And they guys you're throwing out there are not exactly elite. But they were good college quarterbacks. So, yeah, FSU has been decent at developing guys.
Well, it's almost synonymous that being talented and well developed in college will lead to being a 1st round pick. Of course there are exceptions when teams draft a player solely on potential. I just find it funny that someone mentioned the names of John Parker Wilson, Greg McElroy, and AJ as Bama guys who have succeeded in the NFL because they made a roster or practice squad. But when I bring up 3 1st round draft picks from another school the rebuttal to that is, well those guys from FSU weren't "elite."

BTW, I'm one of the guys who think that AJ has a good chance to be a starter in the NFL and a good NFL QB so his book has yet to be written. As for John Parker and McElory, I wouldn't even really mention those guys as NFL QBs. They were both fantastic college QBs - I'm not taking anything away from them there..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Considering that every QB who has started at Bama has made NFL rosters, especially in view of the raw material that Coach Saban inherited, how could anyone question that Saban does not develop QBs ? That JPW and GMac combined for 7 years on NFL rosters is a tremendous testament to the staffs ability to develop QBs. And AJ, the first QB signed and developed by Saban and staff will, barring injury, start. And AJ was drastically molded to abandon his gunslinging and his loose canon of a tongue. And then last year - I don't think most realize how much hand-holding was required to make Blake into an all conf type QB.

I continue to be amazed at the "dullness" exhibited by a few in the Bama fanbase. Bama's record for developing effective QBs to fit Saban's ever changing strategy for winning is tremendous. Thus to call the Bama QB situation a "complete circus" because they're considering a transfer that they pursued last year and perfectly fits their new QB profile is a total misread of Bama's coaching prowess.

That's it for me, I've said enough .
John Parker Wilson was undrafted and had a 5 year NFL career without ever attempting a throw. Sure you want to bring him into this discussion?

McElroy had 1 career start in his 3 year career with a total of 2 games played. He had 31 total passing attempts for a total of 214 yards. Sure you want to mention him?

Compare those two to the underwhelming careers of FSU's Christian Ponder (36 career starts) and EJ Manuel (14 career starts).

I've been trying to stay out of this, but....................

I think what you really meant to say is Texas HS produce really good QBs. Let's not forget our GMac is from the Dallas area, as is Matt Stafford. (There are probably others, but I will claim a senior citizen moment.)
NFL QBs from the state of Texas:

Andy Dalton
Matthew Stafford
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill
Drew Brees
Nick Foles
Josh McCown
Robert Griffin III

TCU and Baylor benefit from being located in a talent-rich area. Just because they are having success, in recent years, does not mean they are an elite program. Sustain that, for the next 25 years, and I might re-think that.

(Translation: I am as sick of hearing about these 2 places, same as most everyone back home is sick of hearing how great API is, and Gus is a genius. I would almost want to go back to hearing about how great Bevo U and Zero U are. As much as I was sick of hearing about those two.)
I can completely understand how someone from Texas and not a fan of either school would have these feelings. My condolences.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I was referring to recent history. Have you ever heard of Andy Dalton or Robert Griffin III? If you don't think TCU and Baylor are top programs, recently, you haven't been paying attention. They are both producing Heisman winning and 1st round/NFL QBs on a regular basis.
You edited your post, originally I believe you made it sound more like TCU and Baylor were top programs period. Let's not forget reality. Neither of these programs have ever been to a BCS championship game, neither went to the playoff. Between them they have a grand total of one outright Big 12 conference championship. They've only done anything noteworthy in the past two years (that's very recent history) and really if you think about it I'm not sure what they've done of note that wouldn't apply to say, Missouri. On that note, they didn't even do anything until Missouri and Texas A&M left the Big 12. The idea that hold them up as an ideal of how things should be shows how skewed your perspective is.

It's hard to have this conversation because I have this nagging memory of us arguing about Blake Sims. I have this idea that you were one of the guys disparaging Blake Sims, and even if that was somehow incorrect, I get this sense of deja vu. Your arguments reek of the same unrealistic expectations, and really misunderstanding of what is required of the position.

To your average Bama Alabama fan AJ was better than every SEC qb during his time as a starter, but to just about everyone else it would probably be Manziel,Murrary, and Mett. I really think that is the better arguement than does CNS develop and recruit qbs.
I think you can probably take that a bit further. Listening to AJ you get the idea he felt he was held back (and didn't become the gunslinger I feared he'd become). Now, perhaps had he become that he might have had better numbers or even higher draft status, but would he have won two titles? Listing a group of guys with 0 titles (pro or college) seems like a bad measuring stick though doesn't it? We've all known for some time now that Big 12 puts out highly touted QBs, that's nothing new.

I think we have to review Alabama's situation to understand what's going on here. Once upon a time Alabama might have been the premiere quarterback school. Bart Starr, Joe Namath, and Kenny Stabler, these guys were out there winning Super Bowls. Do you know who the last Alabama QB to get drafted in the first round? Richard Todd, who was drafted to replace Joe Namath. Scott Hunter, was also drafted because he was considered similar to Bart Starr and lead Green Bay to the playoffs. However, Alabama's reputation as a quarterback school pretty much died with those guys.

Past a certain point Alabama just wasn't seen as a quarterback school, and then eventually the top prospects tended to go elsewhere anyway. It's easy to recruit a QB if you have a few Heisman winners, a couple top draft picks, it's not so easy to get them to come play some place when you say the last first rounder was in the 70s, the last Heisman winner was never. Is that a condemnation of Nick Saban though? No, not unless you want to condemn every single post-Bear Bryant head coach. I mean Mike Shula for instance was a QB coach in the NFL, are we to argue he can't develop quarterbacks?

The fact that, even as first year starters, Nick Saban has had every single starting quarterback in contention for a title says all that needs to be said. That's fantastic, that's amazing, and that sure as heck can't be said about TCU, Baylor, or well any other program that Force threw out there. Now, we have seen a bit of musical chairs? Sure we have, but that seems to have had as much to do with two unplanned departures (Phillip Sims who was backup, and Luke Del Rio who was third string as a true freshman) and two starters/one presumed starter being seniors (AJ/Blake/Coker) as anything else. Things were downright calm in the period from GMac to AJ and when Phillip was the backup and Alabama was recruiting Winston. I guess one would argue too calm and clearly Nick Saban isn't going to hang all his hopes on just one guy, I don't see anything wrong with that either.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Well, it's almost synonymous that being talented and well developed in college will lead to being a 1st round pick. Of course there are exceptions when teams draft a player solely on potential. I just find it funny that someone mentioned the names of John Parker Wilson, Greg McElroy, and AJ as Bama guys who have succeeded in the NFL because they made a roster or practice squad. But when I bring up 3 1st round draft picks from another school the rebuttal to that is, well those guys from FSU weren't "elite."

BTW, I'm one of the guys who think that AJ has a good chance to be a starter in the NFL and a good NFL QB so his book has yet to be written. As for John Parker and McElory, I wouldn't even really mention those guys as NFL QBs. They were both fantastic college QBs - I'm not taking anything away from them there..
That's fine. My overall point about that: Whether or not you end up being a 1st round draft pick in the NFL should not be the number one yardstick of your overall development process in college. You could have been awesome in the particular system that you ran in college, but not considered elite or a 1st round lock after your college days are over. We've had those kind of guys. And thus far, it has served us well in the win column. Now we are changing with the times, and that's OK too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.