Former UGA QB Jacob Park Tells Joe Schad He's Visiting Alabama This Weekend

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
No disrespect, but if he can't break the starting rotation at Georgia, do we need him? I think we have two very capable young QBs in Cornwell & Barnett. Coker is a transfer and still hasn't won the job and quite honestly, I'd rather Cornwell get the job and grow into it for the future. I don't see this as a homerun much less even a help for Bama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You edited your post, originally I believe you made it sound more like TCU and Baylor were top programs period. Let's not forget reality. Neither of these programs have ever been to a BCS championship game, neither went to the playoff. Between them they have a grand total of one outright Big 12 conference championship. They've only done anything noteworthy in the past two years (that's very recent history) and really if you think about it I'm not sure what they've done of note that wouldn't apply to say, Missouri. On that note, they didn't even do anything until Missouri and Texas A&M left the Big 12. The idea that hold them up as an ideal of how things should be shows how skewed your perspective is.

It's hard to have this conversation because I have this nagging memory of us arguing about Blake Sims. I have this idea that you were one of the guys disparaging Blake Sims, and even if that was somehow incorrect, I get this sense of deja vu. Your arguments reek of the same unrealistic expectations, and really misunderstanding of what is required of the position.

I think you can probably take that a bit further. Listening to AJ you get the idea he felt he was held back (and didn't become the gunslinger I feared he'd become). Now, perhaps had he become that he might have had better numbers or even higher draft status, but would he have won two titles? Listing a group of guys with 0 titles (pro or college) seems like a bad measuring stick though doesn't it? We've all known for some time now that Big 12 puts out highly touted QBs, that's nothing new.

I think we have to review Alabama's situation to understand what's going on here. Once upon a time Alabama might have been the premiere quarterback school. Bart Starr, Joe Namath, and Kenny Stabler, these guys were out there winning Super Bowls. Do you know who the last Alabama QB to get drafted in the first round? Richard Todd, who was drafted to replace Joe Namath. Scott Hunter, was also drafted because he was considered similar to Bart Starr and lead Green Bay to the playoffs. However, Alabama's reputation as a quarterback school pretty much died with those guys.

Past a certain point Alabama just wasn't seen as a quarterback school, and then eventually the top prospects tended to go elsewhere anyway. It's easy to recruit a QB if you have a few Heisman winners, a couple top draft picks, it's not so easy to get them to come play some place when you say the last first rounder was in the 70s, the last Heisman winner was never. Is that a condemnation of Nick Saban though? No, not unless you want to condemn every single post-Bear Bryant head coach. I mean Mike Shula for instance was a QB coach in the NFL, are we to argue he can't develop quarterbacks?

The fact that, even as first year starters, Nick Saban has had every single starting quarterback in contention for a title says all that needs to be said. That's fantastic, that's amazing, and that sure as heck can't be said about TCU, Baylor, or well any other program that Force threw out there. Now, we have seen a bit of musical chairs? Sure we have, but that seems to have had as much to do with two unplanned departures (Phillip Sims who was backup, and Luke Del Rio who was third string as a true freshman) and two starters/one presumed starter being seniors (AJ/Blake/Coker) as anything else. Things were downright calm in the period from GMac to AJ and when Phillip was the backup and Alabama was recruiting Winston. I guess one would argue too calm and clearly Nick Saban isn't going to hang all his hopes on just one guy, I don't see anything wrong with that either.
The Blake Sims discussion must have been a real sore spot for you since this is the 3rd time you have brought it up in this discussion. I have said it multiple times and I'll say it again, I didn't think Blake Sims was the best QB to lead Alabama last year. Blake got his opportunity and had one hell of a season. Why do you keep bringing that discussion up? What else needs to be said about it? I don't post on TF to be right or wrong, I post to share my opinion and have conversation with other Bama fans. Everyone in this thread has been friendly and civil except for you..

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
And they guys you're throwing out there are not exactly elite. But they were good college quarterbacks. So, yeah, FSU has been decent at developing guys.
Ponder, and to a lesser extent Manuel, weren't even that. They just got drafted high because... well, because NFL organizations often brain-dead when it comes to drafting and talent evaluation.

If we're being extremely charitable, we could maybe find one nice thing to say about either of the two, and that's that Manuel did have one good year. But that was of course when FSU was playing with massively more talent than pretty much every team they played.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The Blake Sims discussion must have been a real sore spot for you since this is the 3rd time you have brought it up in this discussion. I have said it multiple times and I'll say it again, I didn't think Blake Sims was the best QB to lead Alabama last year. Blake got his opportunity and had one hell of a season. Why do you keep bringing that discussion up? What else needs to be said about it? I don't post on TF to be right or wrong, I post to share my opinion and have conversation with other Bama fans. Everyone in this thread has been friendly and civil except for you..
Because as I recall you were really adamant, to the point of hounding another poster. And you were dead wrong, really wrong, incredibly wrong. So, I have to take what you have to say about QBs with a grain of salt. Sure it's a sore spot, you were rude and disrespectful and refused to acknowledge that Sims could handle the job, which he did admirably.

I will leave it at that, I was just waiting for some acknowledgement. I haven't gone around saying I told you so, but to see you back to complaining about the QB position... well, let's just say if you're unhappy about it, then it's probably a good thing.

Edit: I'll also add that it seems to me part of your complaints are rooted in that bias. You thought Sims couldn't play QB, you still don't seem willing to objectively analyze what he did, and it's poisoned your view of how Alabama handles quarterback. I mean after all, Alabama just has to be doing something wrong right? They played Sims, the guy you had almost nothing but negative things to say about, they must be doing a terrible job, or... the alternative was being very wrong.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Because as I recall you were really adamant, to the point of hounding another poster. And you were dead wrong, really wrong, incredibly wrong. So, I have to take what you have to say about QBs with a grain of salt. Sure it's a sore spot, you were rude and disrespectful and refused to acknowledge that Sims could handle the job, which he did admirably.

I will leave it at that, I was just waiting for some acknowledgement. I haven't gone around saying I told you so, but to see you back to complaining about the QB position... well, let's just say if you're unhappy about it, then it's probably a good thing.
You act like I was the only person with that point of view on Blake Sims. It was pretty much split 50/50 so there were a lot of people right and wrong about that.

Once again, I never said I was unhappy about the QB position. I said I think it's the position on the team with the most room for development and roster stabilization. If you feel like somebody is being rude or disrespectful then report the post to a mod. I really feel sorry for you that you let a message board on the internet create such animosity in your life. I feel sorry for you, I really do..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really feel sorry for you that you let a message board on the internet create such animosity in your life. I feel sorry for you, I really do..
I can't keep going or else it will be sparring, but you said enough that I suppose I should clear the air.

First, I was commenting on your behavior towards another poster, who several people gave a hard time to, due to his consistent support for Sims. And, at that time unfortunately it wasn't even 50/50, it was more like gang up on the one guy who says Sims can play QB, and even if you guys were right (and you weren't), it was rather unbecoming to go as far as it did in disparaging someone like Sims, who had earned his place on the team and the depth chart, and disparaging another poster for simply sticking up for Sims. It wasn't just you no, and in fact I might be coming down unfairly on you because I do recall you and not some others. However, you were in the midst of it and rather opinionated.

Secondly, if you think you have given me any sort of duress or really any emotional response at all you're mistaken. I knew you were wrong then, I know you're wrong now, the only response it's actually solicited was that I felt the negativity was unwarranted and that it didn't leave me with much respect of your understanding of the quarterback position. I said for years, since he was a true freshman that Blake Sims could throw the ball, and I had to wait for years for other people to see what anyone who watched the guy throw should have known. That doesn't make me smart, it just means that objectivity for what ever reason escaped some other people and I'm still not sure why they had such bias.

However, having said that, aside from your opinion on quarterbacks and may be another issue or two, I don't have any opinion at all of you. You're just another guy out there on the internet, and I have no personal feelings towards you one way or the other. I certainly hope anyone engaging in those sort of conversations would have those type of reactions, there's really not much room for anything to be personal to the point of soliciting emotions when in fact we don't even know each other and know practically nothing about each other.

Edit: By the way, I've never reported another poster. I'm not even sure how to. I'd take having to read my responses as punishment enough.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I can't keep going or else it will be sparring, but you said enough that I suppose I should clear the air.

First, I was commenting on your behavior towards another poster, who several people gave a hard time to, due to his consistent support for Sims. And, at that time unfortunately it wasn't even 50/50, it was more like gang up on the one guy who says Sims can play QB, and even if you guys were right (and you weren't), it was rather unbecoming to go as far as it did in disparaging someone like Sims, who had earned his place on the team and the depth chart, and disparaging another poster for simply sticking up for Sims. It wasn't just you no, and in fact I might be coming down unfairly on you because I do recall you and not some others. However, you were in the midst of it and rather opinionated.

Secondly, if you think you have given me any sort of duress or really any emotional response at all you're mistaken. I knew you were wrong then, I know you're wrong now, the only response it's actually solicited was that I felt the negativity was unwarranted and that it didn't leave me with much respect of your understanding of the quarterback position. I said for years, since he was a true freshman that Blake Sims could throw the ball, and I had to wait for years for other people to see what anyone who watched the guy throw should have known. That doesn't make me smart, it just means that objectivity for what ever reason escaped some other people and I'm still not sure why they had such bias.

However, having said that, aside from your opinion on quarterbacks and may be another issue or two, I don't have any opinion at all of you. You're just another guy out there on the internet, and I have no personal feelings towards you one way or the other. I certainly hope anyone engaging in those sort of conversations would have those type of reactions, there's really not much room for anything to be personal to the point of soliciting emotions when in fact we don't even know each other and know practically nothing about each other.
Fair enough. I just think it's unbecoming of you to think that because myself or anyone else was wrong about Blake Sims means that person "doesn't understand the QB position." There were national pundits, national and local journalists, college football experts, etc. who shared the same opinion as myself. Your assumption that because somebody is wrong about one matter means they lack knowledge on the entire subject is a bit repugnant. I think it would behoove you to not keep a record of right and wrong and bring it up every time someone disagrees with you. As I have mentioned several times before I don't post here to be right or wrong I just enjoy sharing my opinion and conversing with other Bama fans. Folks like yourself seem to forget that is the entire purpose of this forum..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You act like I was the only person with that point of view on Blake Sims. It was pretty much split 50/50 so there were a lot of people right and wrong about that.

Once again, I never said I was unhappy about the QB position. I said I think it's the position on the team with the most room for development and roster stabilization. If you feel like somebody is being rude or disrespectful then report the post to a mod. I really feel sorry for you that you let a message board on the internet create such animosity in your life. I feel sorry for you, I really do..
Maybe i shouldn't chime in again because you have changed your tune a lot, but you originally said, and I'm quoting, "...our QB situation has turned into a complete circus" and "...there needs to be a complete overhaul of how we evaluate and/or develop the QB position". That is quite a charge against the coaching staff. And IMO, completely baseless and disrespectful.

The reason for bringing up JPW and GM was that no one would have thought that these 2 and 3 star recruits would have ever made an NFL roster, but because of terrific QB development they both did, and for multiple years. Then how can anyone argue with what Bama did with AJ and Blake ? So, to describe the situation in the manner that you have is completely out of place. I.e., this staff has more than earned the benefit of the doubt regarding QB evaluation and development and everything else, especially from its own fanbase.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe i shouldn't chime in again because you have changed your tune a lot, but you originally said, and I'm quoting, "...our QB situation has turned into a complete circus" and "...there needs to be a complete overhaul of how we evaluate and/or develop the QB position". That is quite a charge against the coaching staff. And IMO, completely baseless and disrespectful.

The reason for bringing up JPW and GM was that no one would have thought that these 2 and 3 star recruits would have ever made an NFL roster, but because of terrific QB development they both did, and for multiple years. Then how can anyone argue with what Bama did with AJ and Blake ? So, to describe the situation in the manner that you have is completely out of place. I.e., this staff has more than earned the benefit of the doubt regarding QB evaluation and development and everything else, especially from its own fanbase.
I agree that it was a poor choice of words to call the QB situation a circus. If that offended you or anybody else then I apologize. By QB situation I was more referring to how we have managed the position of QB relative to roster #s. That was my main point when this thread started because it seems like Bama has been in contact or courted every QB the last 2 years who has been eligible to transfer and play immediately. The conversation kinda spiraled downhill from there. If this guy can help us win then I'm all for it..

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Ponder, and to a lesser extent Manuel, weren't even that. They just got drafted high because... well, because NFL organizations often brain-dead when it comes to drafting and talent evaluation.

If we're being extremely charitable, we could maybe find one nice thing to say about either of the two, and that's that Manuel did have one good year. But that was of course when FSU was playing with massively more talent than pretty much every team they played.
Yes, I was being nice. :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I just take this QB stuff as if we have room and there is one out there with talent, why not take him and see? I am sure we recruited this kid as well as UGA and many others. CNS has been here 8 years (Can you believe that) and 6 of those we had a dominate receiver in Julio Jones and Amari Cooper. Hopefully we will have one of two of our receivers really come on and take a little pressure off the QB whomever it is. RTR

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I think it is commendable that all these young men are interested in Alabama. It can only make us better. But, here is my question: If he thinks competition is tough at Georgia (or any other school), why would he see Bama as an easier route?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.