FSU QB De'Andre Johnson kicked off team for punching a woman

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Re: FSU QB De'Andre Johnson suspended indefinitely; source says he punched woman

Here's the video and honestly, they're better be some charges for BOTH parties.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ohnson-arrest-assault-incident-video#comments

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No way will charges be brought against her. She should have never raised her fist to him or thrown a "punch" but I just can't see charges coming from what she did. One thing I find disturbing is that no one came to her defense except for the other girl. It appears that several of the guys sitting at the bar saw it happen and did nothing. Not sure if that says something about him or the girl that got punched...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: FSU QB De'Andre Johnson suspended indefinitely; source says he punched woman

Bar fights happen every day all over America. Man vs man or woman vs woman generally results in no charges (unless someone involved is really hurt or really rich). Even when called to the scene, the police generally encourage the parties to just move on. Why clog up the courts and ruin people's lives over this stuff?

For some reason, even if the woman strikes first, if the man responds in kind he is vilified and certain to face criminal charges while the woman is seen as a victim. They were both wrong. Neither should face charges unless both face charges.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

He should've walked away and then had her arrested for assault. They both seem like such classy individuals.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

No way will charges be brought against her. She should have never raised her fist to him or thrown a "punch" but I just can't see charges coming from what she did. One thing I find disturbing is that no one came to her defense except for the other girl. It appears that several of the guys sitting at the bar saw it happen and did nothing. Not sure if that says something about him or the girl that got punched...
If equality is truly the measure of justice. Then she should be charged for assault. If a man were to hit him, would you say that he has no right to defend himself?? He first tried to grab her arms when she drew back her fist, and she slipped a jab in with her other hand. From my standpoint, there should not be any charges at all. She hit him, he responded in self defense. I do not hear him pressing charges.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

He has retained a lawyer involved in the Casey Anthony trial. We are obviously doing this life thing wrong if students can swing these kind of lawyers.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

If equality is truly the measure of justice. Then she should be charged for assault. If a man were to hit him, would you say that he has no right to defend himself?? He first tried to grab her arms when she drew back her fist, and she slipped a jab in with her other hand. From my standpoint, there should not be any charges at all. She hit him, he responded in self defense. I do not hear him pressing charges.
Can't argue that, just saying I don't think it will happen. He did not respond in self defense though. What was he defending himself from? He responded because he didn't have the class to walk away...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

The more I think about this...what's to stop some over-the-top barner girl from intentionally pulling something like this to a rival team's star player?

Catch him in a bar after he's had a few drinks and see if they could provoke him to lose his temper.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The more I think about this...what's to stop some over-the-top barner girl from intentionally pulling something like this to a rival team's star player?

Catch him in a bar after he's had a few drinks and see if they could provoke him to lose his temper.
Wives do this to husbands - provoke a response, call the police, file charges, etc. We really have to stop with the double standard.

It would be better if every man could restrain himself, but if the woman strikes first, she needs to be held legally responsible.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

A distinction needs to be drawn here. First, in this case the guy was clearly an aggressor, he was pushing his way forward. Not like she just came up to him and started something. But, beyond that, words are words. Provoking someone to violence should involve, you know, actual violence. Not just someone running their mouth. If you can't keep your hands to yourself in that situation, well they make places with bars for people like that.

Having said that, she did seem to make some sort of physically aggressive move. Now, I think he was way in the wrong and how much in the wrong it's hard to tell. It seems like he might have both started and finished it. But, it is a double standard that it's somewhat acceptable for a woman to punch, scratch, may be kick even and unless it's Hope Solo fighting a 6'8 guy, no one even raises an eyebrow.

The sad thing is that mentality probably leads to a lot of women getting the worse end of things. We've programmed most decent men well enough that they know, even when provoked not to lay their hands on a woman. However, we haven't put those same inhibitions in the mind of women. If a woman is mad at a guy, it's socially acceptable for her to rain down a few blows on him, but he's supposed to just grin and may be chuckle a little bit. The sad fact though is that plenty of men are not exactly decent human beings and if you hit them, well they might hit back... way way harder.

If we want to "fix" the problem with domestic violence, the key is violence, period just can't be tolerated.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I'll put it this way, if that was my daughter, I'd fix his problem.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

A distinction needs to be drawn here. First, in this case the guy was clearly an aggressor, he was pushing his way forward. Not like she just came up to him and started something. But, beyond that, words are words. Provoking someone to violence should involve, you know, actual violence. Not just someone running their mouth. If you can't keep your hands to yourself in that situation, well they make places with bars for people like that.

Having said that, she did seem to make some sort of physically aggressive move. Now, I think he was way in the wrong and how much in the wrong it's hard to tell. It seems like he might have both started and finished it. But, it is a double standard that it's somewhat acceptable for a woman to punch, scratch, may be kick even and unless it's Hope Solo fighting a 6'8 guy, no one even raises an eyebrow.

The sad thing is that mentality probably leads to a lot of women getting the worse end of things. We've programmed most decent men well enough that they know, even when provoked not to lay their hands on a woman. However, we haven't put those same inhibitions in the mind of women. If a woman is mad at a guy, it's socially acceptable for her to rain down a few blows on him, but he's supposed to just grin and may be chuckle a little bit. The sad fact though is that plenty of men are not exactly decent human beings and if you hit them, well they might hit back... way way harder.

If we want to "fix" the problem with domestic violence, the key is violence, period just can't be tolerated.
I agree.

Im not condoning this action, but some people black out and lose control when punched unexpectely so its probably best not to hit someone. I think this particular situation while she did punch him, I think this is a young man without any kind of self control and not some law abiding citizen with temporay loss of control

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

no man should ever be so drunk or so out of control that a woman provokes him to punch her in the face unless she's threatening him with serious bodily harm.

perhaps we should look for young men of greater character and more self-control.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

Women should be held liable for starting a fight by punching a man. She drew her fist, and he grabbed her hand. WHen she pulled away, and slipped the jab, then is when he popped her. Yes, he popped her really good, but she put him in that situation.
My first wife beat the hell out of me, and I just layed there. Never laid a hand on her. When she was done, I looked in the mirror, was bleeding from my ear. I went to the police station, and pressed charges. She got probation for a year. Nothing significant. If that had been me. I am sure that I would have had to spend a weekend in jail. I am convinced that there is a double standard. Well, some state are worse than others. This was in North Carolina where there is a special law called assault on a female.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

no man should ever be so drunk or so out of control that a woman provokes him to punch her in the face unless she's threatening him with serious bodily harm.

perhaps we should look for young men of greater character and more self-control.
No one is saying that what Johnson did was right or justified - just saying that if he faces assault charges, so should she.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I wonder how things would have turned out if both Johnson and the woman had been carrying a gun at the time.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I wonder how things would have turned out if both Johnson and the woman had been carrying a gun at the time.
Assuming they were both legally carrying (I believe he's underage), chances are there wouldn't have been an altercation at all.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Assuming they were both legally carrying (I believe he's underage), chances are there wouldn't have been an altercation at all.
You've got to be kidding.

A drunken dispute in a bar improved by arming both sides of the fight?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

No one is saying that what Johnson did was right or justified - just saying that if he faces assault charges, so should she.
I was responding to the hypo of someone setting him up.

we shouldn't have players who getting sloppy drunk in a bar and punch out women.

if he were my son, I wouldn't be telling him "well, son, she started it...so you finished it."

it be saying "wth were you doing?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.